Grim Reaper

Gough Whitlam

Just found this academic paper on the issue. It talks specifically about the dismissal and about the line between investigative journalism and conspiracy theories in general. Very interesting conclusions indeed: http://www98.griffit...2/1/32006_1.pdf

That was truly a fascinating read, I read whilst I was eating and almost spilled my tacos all over the keyboard, I was that captivated..Although I'd have to say that one hopes that investigative journos approach their material objectively, they investigate evidence and report sound conclusions; which, to any reasonable person (should that person exist), would arrive at the same conclusion if, or when, confronted with the same evidence. Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, approach evidence by attempting to shape it to suite a particular agenda, this ranges from the crack-pot to the misinformed/uninformed, a la FOX NEWS. Conspiracy theorists hold on to this and often dismiss genuine evidence to the contrary as additional conspiracy. In terms of the Nixon and Ford administrations meddling in the politics of other nations, one only needs to look at examples in South America, South East Asia and the Middle East for evidence that this was going on all over the world at this time.

but it was a fascinating read.

Re-bumping this so that guests/lurkers/drive-by traffic can read the academic paper linked above on the conspricacy theory about the Whitlam dismissal (allegations of US involvement) if interested.

Just saw it. Well, I know what will be dominating our news headlines all week. Here is the ABC report:

Do you reckon we'll all get a day off work for the funeral? :pop:

Just saw it. Well, I know what will be dominating our news headlines all week. Here is the ABC report:

The last time a PM died was McMahon in 1988. What happened back then? Can anyone remember? :P

UPDATE: Correction - Gorton died in 2002. If they gave us the day off work, it must have been fairly forgettable (much like his term in office.)

Guest Guest

Gough Whitlam dead at 98!. the 8th hit of 2014!

Well, the politicians have just given themselves the day off at least! "Following the news of Mr Whitlam's death Federal Parliament was closed for the day as a mark of respect."

How about Schmidt next for a really-fuckin'-old-guy-who-was-head-of-a-foreign-country-but-you've-never-heard-of-his-arse double?

Also I didn't know Mr Gough and his friend were Vader fans....

_78414039_3319108.jpg

(sorry that's one for the wrestling fans again)

How about Schmidt next for a really-fuckin'-old-guy-who-was-head-of-a-foreign-country-but-you've-never-heard-of-his-arse double?

_78414039_3319108.jpg

Just FYI, the "and his friend" is actually the 1960s rock singer, Little Pattie, cousin of recently-dead Christina Amphlett of the Divinyls. Amphlett definitely had the more talent of the two... Little Pattie's there because she sang Gough's election campaign theme song.

Oh right.

Wow, this is like you guys' Thatcher or something isn't it.

Oh right.

Sort of. In terms of economic divisiveness, that would be Paul Keating (who copied all of Thatcher's policies under the label "Economic Rationalism.")

In terms of divisiveness because of bungled implementation of otherwise-extremely good policies and the huge controversy and constitutional crisis surrounding the dismissal then, yes, Gough's your man.

I don't know if there will be much divisiveness or bitterness at his funeral, the way there was at Thatcher's because it was all so long ago but it will be interesting to see if any old wounds are reopened.

Guest ding dong the whichisdead?

Oh right.

Not really, he was a "progressive" (left-leaning) politician, unlike Thatcher; he had a brief premiership (less than a full term), unlike Thatcher; he was easily outmanoeuvered by his main political enemy etc. Maybe an anti-thesis of Thatcher?

Oh right.

Not really, he was a "progressive" (left-leaning) politician, unlike Thatcher; he had a brief premiership (less than a full term), unlike Thatcher; he was easily outmanoeuvered by his main political enemy etc. Maybe an anti-thesis of Thatcher?

I meant in terms of reaction upon death, fucknut.

(p.s. Holy shit, look at the front page... we have "details"! They're followin' and everything!)

I got all excited until I noticed he *wasn't* on my list :banghead:

_78414039_3319108.jpg

I want one of those t-shirts for the next DL-Con!

_78414039_3319108.jpg

Someone was just asking about them on one of the newsites. Apparently you can still buy them from the Whitlam Institute!

Guest The Wicked Witch of Westmi

Oh right.

(p.s. Holy shit, look at the front page... we have "details"! They're followin' and everything!)

When Maggie Thatcher died, her "fans" have propelled "Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead!" to #2 on the UK singles chart; if fact, the theme of the day of her death had inspired numerous punk-ish songs (Pete Wylie [ The Day That Margaret Thatcher Dies!…:

; Hefner: The Day that Thatcher Dies:
) years before she actually kicked the bucket. I'd doubt that good old Gough Whitlam would get a similar treatment. But feel free to prove me wrong!

_78414039_3319108.jpg

Someone was just asking about them on one of the newsites. Apparently you can still buy them from the Whitlam Institute!

http://whitlam.force.com/shoppingCart

_78414039_3319108.jpg

http://whitlam.force.com/shoppingCart

Thanks, I might just enquire!

Oh right.

When Maggie Thatcher died, her "fans" have propelled "Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead!" to #2 on the UK singles chart; if fact, the theme of the day of her death had inspired numerous punk-ish songs (Pete Wylie [ The Day That Margaret Thatcher Dies!…:

; Hefner: The Day that Thatcher Dies:

) years before she actually kicked the bucket. I'd doubt that good old Gough Whitlam would get a similar treatment. But feel free to prove me wrong!

That definitely won't happen.

Anyway, put it this way: the conservative side don't really have a reason to loathe him - after all, they won! His governement was dismissed and then the Liberals were voted in at the next election.

His ALP supporters won't turn the funeral into a time for recriminations either. If ever there is a controversial, it will be when his arch-rival and successor Malcolm Fraser dies (and I think Whitlam and Fraser buried the hatchet a while ago anyway.)

I expect there to be more animosity around the funeral of Keating (for bad economic policies) or John Howard (Iraq and Afghan Wars.)

Gough quotes:

http://www.abc.net.a...whitlam/5829298

Note this one: "Conscription is an impediment to achieving the forces Australia needs. It is an alibi for failing to give proper conditions to regular soldiers. We will abolish conscription forthwith. By abolishing it, Australia will achieve a better army, a better-paid army – and a better, united society."

So he wasn't even ending conscription because it was the morally right thing to do or because the Vietnam War was a terrible mistake. It was purely for utilitarian purposes. Ie, he did the right thing, for the wrong reason. :( :( :(