Grim Reaper

Gough Whitlam

Oh right.

Wow, this is like you guys' Thatcher or something isn't it.

Not really, he was a "progressive" (left-leaning) politician, unlike Thatcher; he had a brief premiership (less than a full term), unlike Thatcher; he was easily outmanoeuvered by his main political enemy etc. Maybe an anti-thesis of Thatcher?

I meant in terms of reaction upon death, fucknut.

(p.s. Holy shit, look at the front page... we have "details"! They're followin' and everything!)

When Maggie Thatcher died, her "fans" have propelled "Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead!" to #2 on the UK singles chart; if fact, the theme of the day of her death had inspired numerous punk-ish songs (Pete Wylie [ The Day That Margaret Thatcher Dies!…:

; Hefner: The Day that Thatcher Dies:

) years before she actually kicked the bucket. I'd doubt that good old Gough Whitlam would get a similar treatment. But feel free to prove me wrong!

That definitely won't happen.

Anyway, put it this way: the conservative side don't really have a reason to loathe him - after all, they won! His governement was dismissed and then the Liberals were voted in at the next election.

His ALP supporters won't turn the funeral into a time for recriminations either. If ever there is a controversial, it will be when his arch-rival and successor Malcolm Fraser dies (and I think Whitlam and Fraser buried the hatchet a while ago anyway.)

I expect there to be more animosity around the funeral of Keating (for bad economic policies) or John Howard (Iraq and Afghan Wars.)

It is really ironic that the man who helped kicked Gough out of office, Malcolm Fraser, is now no longer a member of his own party, having resigned from the LIberal Party in protest against the Mad Monk, Abbott. I was in Canberra on that day in November 1975 & remember it well. Gough did some wonderful things for Australia & I feel the country owes him more than it realizes.

• Like 1

Fraser''s grown a conscience in his old age. It is a pity PMs - of all political persuasions - don't possess them while they are in office.

• Like 3

Fraser''s grown a conscience in his old age. It is a pity PMs - of all political persuasions - don't possess them while they are in office.

Maybe, through years of quiet contemplation, they realise what they've done.

• Like 1

Interestingly, as far as I can tell, David Cameron doesn't seem to have passed any condolences on to our parliament over Gough's death yet or, indeed, to have made any mention of it at all.

Erm, his death didn't exactly make our TV news so I'm not really surprised.

Think he's got more important things to worry about at the moment......... like texting pictures of cute ponies to Rebekah Brooks....

• Like 1

Think he's got more important things to worry about at the moment......... like texting pictures of cute ponies to Rebekah Brooks....

Shows how completely unimportant us colonials are to the mother country! :)

Yeah..... you said it, not us!

• Like 1

Guest Anwar Muhammad MD

Wasn't he the PM who wanted to replace the anachronistic, colonialist 'God Save the Queen' as Australias nathional anthem? I wouldn't be surprised if the evil lizard queen and his lackey PM were deliberately trying to shun him for that! http://donegaldollop.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/queen.jpg

Wasn't he the PM who wanted to replace the anachronistic, colonialist 'God Save the Queen' as Australias nathional anthem? I wouldn't be surprised if the evil lizard queen and his lackey PM were deliberately trying to shun him for that! http://donegaldollop...12/06/queen.jpg

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Australia_Fair#Competitions.2C_plebiscite_and_adoption

Well, I liked Whitlam (and my opinion of most Australian PMs tends to be rather low) - economies tend to have ephemeral swings, policies which aid the vulnerable in society tend to last far longer. Bit like Harold Wilson in that respect.

John Kerr, on the other hand, was a sod.

Bloody hell - the obits have finally been updated! :D

Bloody hell - the obits have finally been updated! :D

As has, alas, the misspelling of Ian Paisley's name!

Might help cure my insomnia for the night!

• Like 1

I know StoneCold has already logged it in the Political Frailty thread but Gough's arch-rival, who ultimately outed him, former PM Malcolm Fraser is dead. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-20/malcolm-fraser-dies/6334620

That leaves Bob Hawke, Paul Keating, John Howard, Kevin Rudd and Julia Gillard as the former Australian PMs still standing.

Another very momentous day for Australia.

FWIW, Malcom Fraser - who came from a wealthy, privileged background - will always be notorious for telling workers, during a 12 month pay freeze, "Life wasn't meant to be easy."

• Like 1

FWIW, Malcom Fraser - who came from a wealthy, privileged background - will always be notorious for telling workers, during a 12 month pay freeze, "Life wasn't meant to be easy."

Notorious for that, his role in the dismissal and the Memphis trouser affair; where he was found in a seedy Memphis hotel, dazed and wearing no pants.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Interestingly, as far as I can tell, David Cameron doesn't seem to have passed any condolences on to our parliament over Gough's death yet or, indeed, to have made any mention of it at all.

I know I'm a bit late in answering this but I did happen to see David Cameron say a tribute to Whitlam when he visited Australia for the G20 summit in november.Better late than never ! I don't suppose he'll have any problem paying tribute to Malcolm Fraser...

Notorious for that, his role in the dismissal and the Memphis trouser affair; where he was found in a seedy Memphis hotel, dazed and wearing no pants.

Despite all of that, somehow he did somehow find a conscience in later life. What a pity he didn't find it when he was PM.

Anyway, here are some recent quotes and recordings of the old boy:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/malcolm-fraser-in-his-own-words/6334650

Interestingly, Bob Hawke is about 6 months older than Fraser and a former alcoholic, yet he still staggers on. Fraser was, by all accounts, in very good health until just a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Interestingly, Bob Hawke is about 6 months older than Fraser and a former alcoholic, yet he still staggers on. Fraser was, by all accounts, in very good health until just a couple of days ago.

well they say everything comes in threes. Whitlam and Frasers gone, maybe Hawkes next...

Just found this academic paper on the issue. It talks specifically about the dismissal and about the line between investigative journalism and conspiracy theories in general. Very interesting conclusions indeed: http://www98.griffit...2/1/32006_1.pdf

That was truly a fascinating read, I read whilst I was eating and almost spilled my tacos all over the keyboard, I was that captivated..Although I'd have to say that one hopes that investigative journos approach their material objectively, they investigate evidence and report sound conclusions; which, to any reasonable person (should that person exist), would arrive at the same conclusion if, or when, confronted with the same evidence. Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, approach evidence by attempting to shape it to suite a particular agenda, this ranges from the crack-pot to the misinformed/uninformed, a la FOX NEWS. Conspiracy theorists hold on to this and often dismiss genuine evidence to the contrary as additional conspiracy. In terms of the Nixon and Ford administrations meddling in the politics of other nations, one only needs to look at examples in South America, South East Asia and the Middle East for evidence that this was going on all over the world at this time.

but it was a fascinating read.

Re-bumping this so that guests/lurkers/drive-by traffic can read the academic paper linked above on the conspricacy theory about the Whitlam dismissal (allegations of US involvement) if interested.

More murkiness: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-16/gough-whitlam-ordered-asio-to-stop-talking-to-cia/6859734

Just found this academic paper on the issue. It talks specifically about the dismissal and about the line between investigative journalism and conspiracy theories in general. Very interesting conclusions indeed: http://www98.griffit...2/1/32006_1.pdf

That was truly a fascinating read, I read whilst I was eating and almost spilled my tacos all over the keyboard, I was that captivated..Although I'd have to say that one hopes that investigative journos approach their material objectively, they investigate evidence and report sound conclusions; which, to any reasonable person (should that person exist), would arrive at the same conclusion if, or when, confronted with the same evidence. Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, approach evidence by attempting to shape it to suite a particular agenda, this ranges from the crack-pot to the misinformed/uninformed, a la FOX NEWS. Conspiracy theorists hold on to this and often dismiss genuine evidence to the contrary as additional conspiracy. In terms of the Nixon and Ford administrations meddling in the politics of other nations, one only needs to look at examples in South America, South East Asia and the Middle East for evidence that this was going on all over the world at this time.

but it was a fascinating read.

Re-bumping this so that guests/lurkers/drive-by traffic can read the academic paper linked above on the conspricacy theory about the Whitlam dismissal (allegations of US involvement) if interested.

More murkiness: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-16/gough-whitlam-ordered-asio-to-stop-talking-to-cia/6859734

Yet more discussion on this: http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/the-dismissal-files/6886174

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/story/falcon-lands

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/10/16/asio-role-whitlam-dismissal-addressed