Grim Reaper

Richard Adams

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/channel-5-blasted-traumatising-viewers-7638429:Watership down apparently too violent for children.It is violent yes but there is a context to it and surely all parents remember the film from when they were young so could make that call!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/watership-down-author-richard-adams-plans-to-release-his-first-picture-book-for-five-year-olds-a6941761.html:From a few days ago.He is releasing some unpublished work and the only health problem mention is him being deaf in one ear.Looks fairly well in pictures also.Says he based a lot of the death scenes from his wartime exprience.Kind of makes sense

How many of those complaints would be from parents who had no idea what their kids were watching until it had upset them?

Surely if it was on Channel 5 no-one would have seen it anyway.

I can't remember how old I was when the film came out, but old enough to have left home. I saw it in the cinema and was taken aback by the explicit violence. If it had been a darker style of animation, like the LOTR one, it wouldn't have been so shocking.

I don't have any children, but if I had I wouldn't have let them watch that film, not as children anyway.

So it's quite possible that these parents hadn't seen it themselves, if their own parents knew it was unsuitable.

Hope that makes sense.

I may have mentioned this before but I was once witness to a fantastic argument between a couple in a library about whether to borrow this film for their very small son. The U certificate is misleading.

I agree it should be a PG due to the occasional scenes of violence which may be unsuitable for young children depending on how sensitive or squeamish they are.It depends on the child though.My friend showed his 5 year old brother the scene in Kill Bill 2 where Uma Thurman rips out Darryl Hannah`s eye and steps on it and he found it utterly hilarious ,whereas when I was the same age I cried when Bambi`s Mum got shot.

That's the thing though, we don't see Bambi's mum die, we just hear the shot off-screen.

Now I've nothing against gritty realism, but they chose to make WD in a fluffy Bambiesque style of animation, and the way they presented violence and death was inappropriate for that style. And it should never have got a U certificate, that was and still is shamefully misleading.

Agreed.With regards to the controversy though surely it is for parents to decide whether Watership Down is appropriate.I find it difficult to believe that parents of any age are not familiar with the film and its contents.

• Like 2

think the reason I dislike cartoons is because I was wrongfooted by Watership Down when I was 7. I've never forgiven it for making me cry and never forgiven myself for crying. It's still only one of two films to have made me cry.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't try to cheer yourself up by watching or reading Plague Dogs.

• Like 2

Just looked at the cast list for this film. Not many left

• John Hurt
  • Richard O' Callaghan
  • Hannah Gordon
  • Lynn Fairleigh
  • Clifton Jones
  • Derek Griffiths
  • Joss Ackland
  • Mike Batt (composed theme tune)
  • Art Garfunkel (theme tune)
  • Martin Rosen (dir)

Guest Guest

think the reason I dislike cartoons is because I was wrongfooted by Watership Down when I was 7. I've never forgiven it for making me cry and never forgiven myself for crying. It's still only one of two films to have made me cry.

Guest Guest

And the other was.....?

The other one was The Pianist.

The other one was The Pianist.

excellent movie. My favourite scene in that movie is when just as the Nazis are going to kill him he starts playing the piano and the nazi starts crying realising what a wonderful person he is going to kill.

Guest Guested

Amazed Joss Ackland is still going. He looked old in the 1970s. Surely one to consider if he survives until 2017.

Guest Guested

Little known fact, Bright Eyes was number one when Margaret Thatcher was first elected Prime Minister

Little known fact, Bright Eyes was number one when Margaret Thatcher was first elected Prime Minister

That was the week my Mum died.

That was the week my Mum died.

Sounds like an idea for a topic.

Amazed Joss Ackland is still going. He looked old in the 1970s. Surely one to consider if he survives until 2017.

Hell yeah, as obitable as Clive Dunn, easily

Guest Vera Johnson

It seems unjust that Adams is blamed for the film, over which he had little say, when the book is transcendent - and none of the rabbits in the book dies. Not even Bigwig!

It seems unjust that Adams is blamed for the film, over which he had little say, when the book is transcendent - and none of the rabbits in the book dies. Not even Bigwig!

Yes they do. It's years since I read it, but I can still remember the bit where Hazel dies cry-blow.gif

• Like 2

Yes they do. It's years since I read it, but I can still remember the bit where Hazel dies cry-blow.gif

There is also a description about the fate of the rabbits left behind at the original warren.

• Like 2

"Brutal scenes in Watership Down are to be watered down in new £20m BBC remake starring Olivia Coleman and John Boyega".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562782/Too-scary-today-s-children-Brutal-scenes-Watership-watered-new-20m-BBC-remake-starring-Olivia-Coleman-John-Boyega.html

"Brutal scenes in Watership Down are to be watered down in new £20m BBC remake starring Olivia Coleman and John Boyega".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3562782/Too-scary-today-s-children-Brutal-scenes-Watership-watered-new-20m-BBC-remake-starring-Olivia-Coleman-John-Boyega.html

It'd be ironic if the new touchy feely movie got Adams so irate it did for him, eh?

Jesus come on it's supposed to be shocking that's the point kids raised like this are the reasons sjws exist.
  • Like 1

Jesus come on it's supposed to be shocking that's the point kids raised like this are the reasons sjws exist.

Exactly, that's why after we watch Watership Down, I serve my kids rabbit stew.

Absolute load of shit.

Animals kill each other in nature. Animals die. People die. Life is not some fucking fairy story where everyone lives happily ever after, and that is what they should be teaching kids, not censoring for fear of offending.

But we live in the age of political correctness, where you can't say one little fucking thing for fear of being accused of racism, misogyny, homophobia, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism, transphobia ...

• Like 2

Straight people are so fucking stupid! Every time I wear this T-shirt

i_cant.jpg
they haven't a fucking clue what it means.
  • Like 1