3 minutes ago, SleepSerenity said:

To put Shane McGowan over Parsons.....

And Lester Piggott!

My first death of the year ticked off.

Despite this, Nicholas Parsons will be sorely missed. My father and I used to listen to Just A Minute regularly - was one of the few things my father and I both liked. RIP to this broadcasting legend. :(

• Like 2

Wow, didn’t expect him to be my third hit. 

As someone earlier had said, I was expecting him to reach 100. RIP

Had the  committee stuck to their guns and kept him on the list, this would have been the 2nd hit in quick succession! 

RIP Nicholas Parsons

Thats crap I loved Just A Minute.  But, I really don't want them to get another person (Gyle Brandreth) in to host it and absolutely ruin it. 

• Like 1

The Committee are complete muppets for leaving Parsons off the main list, they honestly have no clue

Definitely a better bet than Shane MacGowan as well as some of the other questionable picks

I am not going to pile on the committee for this miss. 

He was not on my shadow list. 

He was not selected in 20/20 game.

He only scraped onto The Crowdsourced list because of the 25 returning rule.

It is not a shock because of his advanced age but he clearly wasn't expected to go this early.

I think Gyles Brandreth would be a fine replacement on Just A Minute he understands the legacy of NP and would want to honour it.

The only concern is that Paul Merton has only kept playing it because of NP.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am not going to pile on the committee for this miss. 

He was not on my shadow list. 

He was not selected in 20/20 game.

He only scraped onto The Crowdsourced list because of the 25 returning rule.

It is not a shock because of his advanced age but he clearly wasn't expected to go this early.

I think Gyles Brandreth would be a fine replacement on Just A Minute he understands the legacy of NP and would want to honour it.

The only concern is that Paul Merton has only kept playing it because of NP.

Merton clearly snarks into so many contestants (an issue on HIGNFY too) that perhaps him leaving will open the field?

Gyles is the likely successor, yes, but man, talk about a sudden decline in host quality.

35 minutes ago, msc said:

Merton clearly snarks into so many contestants (an issue on HIGNFY too) that perhaps him leaving will open the field?

Gyles is the likely successor, yes, but man, talk about a sudden decline in host quality.

The more I hear from GB the more I like him. He is a long way from the 1980s irritant who would appear on TV-am in ridiculous jumpers. He has a self deprecating awareness now which is quite fun and he is extremely erudite.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The more I hear from GB the more I like him. He is a long way from the 1980s irritant who would appear on TV-am in ridiculous jumpers. He has a self deprecating awareness now which is quite fun and he is extremely erudite.

He probably is. I'm just very stubborn about my dislikes!

• Like 1

In the committee's defence, his illness was very short and he had been in excellent health until then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big Chungus said:

In the committee's defence, his illness was very short and he had been in excellent health until then.

He missed 2 episodes of JAM in 2018 & 2 more last year. There seems to have been a much longer period between series of JAM than usual - in recent years there are 6 or 8 shows of JAM (recorded 2 at a time) and then a series of a different show lasting about 6 or 8 weeks then back to JAM. Additionally, on his 96th birthday (Oct 2019?) he was photographed between his wife & The Duchess of Cornwall in a wheelchair & it was also widely reported that due to a fall he was unable to particpate in a carol concert last December that his daughter has been involved in for many years and in which he reads a lesson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

He missed 2 episodes of JAM in 2018 & 2 more last year. There seems to have been a much longer period between series of JAM than usual - in recent years there are 6 or 8 shows of JAM (recorded 2 at a time) and then a series of a different show lasting about 6 or 8 weeks then back to JAM. Additionally, on his 96th birthday (Oct 2019?) he was photographed between his wife & The Duchess of Cornwall in a wheelchair & it was also widely reported that due to a fall he was unable to particpate in a carol concert last December that his daughter has been involved in for many years and in which he reads a lesson.

To be fair showing up for work at all is amazing for a 96 year old. I personally would've put him in although there were a lot of candidates equally as worthy out there who were just as healthy as NP. So I wouldn't call it a terrible decision.

• Like 2

Now will Nicholas' cadaver be spinning in its crypt? Sue Perkins named as the new permanent presenter of Just a Minute. 

32 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Now will Nicholas' cadaver be spinning in its crypt? Sue Perkins named as the new permanent presenter of Just a Minute. 

Do you not think she is a good choice?

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Do you not think she is a good choice?

A wonderful choice in my opinion. I thought the BBC would make a shite choice of Brandreth, Merton, Hancock or even Jenny Eclair who was mentioned somewhere along the line. I think Stephen Fry was in the mix but he is too busy being famous/ill I presume. Rock on Ms Perkins. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

A wonderful choice in my opinion. I thought the BBC would make a shite choice of Brandreth, Merton, Hancock or even Jenny Eclair who was mentioned somewhere along the line. I think Stephen Fry was in the mix but he is too busy being famous/ill I presume. Rock on Ms Perkins. 

Good choice. She was always one who could match Paul Merton although without his realms of fantasy & humour. However, this probably means that he will be a permanent panel member & achieve his ambition to appear more often on JAM than any other panellist - only Clement Freud (he who should not be named) to pass now. Stephen Fry never performs as well as one would expect him to - his polymathic genius seems to stop him remembering the basic 3 rules of JAM!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2013 at 12:30, Bibliogryphon said:

I am going to declare Nicolas safe for this year but to celebrate and provoke discussion I have attached a list of those currently living Just a Minute guests who have notched up more than 20 appearances (? - on the radio).

All the originals are dead and Linda Smith and Wendy Richard were also on the list but are no longer with us.

I think Andre Melly is an interesting potential future pick as she is also George Melly's sister. Presence on this list alone almost guarantees a UK Obit for any of these.

Kit Hesketh-Harvey, reportedly dead: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/kit-hesketh-harvey-dead-age-cause-b2273706.html

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

I'll remember him best for Kit And The Widow (didn't know he'd written for the film Maurice).

33 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Brother in law of Julian Sands

Ex brother in law. His sister Sarah (former editor of Today on Radio 4) and Julian divorced in 1987. They did have a son together so obviously the family likely remained in touch and that boy is now effectively morning his uncle on top of his dad.

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Ex brother in law. His sister Sarah (former editor of Today on Radio 4) and Julian divorced in 1987. They did have a son together so obviously the family likely remained in touch and that boy is now effectively morning his uncle on top of his dad.

Man. He's 37.

• Like 1