Sign in to follow this  
Davey Jones' Locker

Discuss The 2013 Deathlist

I am interested in knowing what the non-British posters think of the selection of names on the 2013 Deathlist.

Are all of the names familiar or do you consider them too parochial?

As an Aussie, the ones I didn't know were:

Bernadette Nolan

Henry Cecil

Reg Presley (but I did know the Troggs of course. I just couldn't name any of 'em.)

Peter O'Sullevan

Peter Sallis

Elaine Stritch

Anna Wing

I don't mind a few parochial ones; it is a Brit site after all. I do think that, when picking the list though, you should remember that it was created after the sudden shock death of Cary Grant, an international superstar. Maybe when selecting the list, you should use Cary as your yardstick for fame/shock/impact value.

I am interested in knowing what the non-British posters think of the selection of names on the 2013 Deathlist.

Ronnie Biggs

Clive James

Erich Priebke

Chapman Pincher

Anna Wing

Joao Havelange

Gough Whitlam

Ian Paisley

Bernie Nolan

Henry Cecil

Denis Healey

Reg Presley

Michael Winner

Peter O'Sullevan

P.D. James

Nicolas Parsons

Ian Brady

All people I know only because they were brought up on this forum.

Erich Piebke.

Chapman Pincher.

Anna Wing.

Joao Havelange.

Henry Cecil.

Denis Healey.

Reg Presley.

Peter O'Sullevan.

Nicholas Parsons.

Peter Sallis.

...are people I'd never heard of until I saw them on deathlist, but after a quick Google or Wiki it makes more sense why they are chosen.

Even though I never knew Sallis's name outside of deadpooling, I admit he's probably the one "mostly known in UK" actor I otherwise had familiarity with solely due to him voicing Wallace!

l'm Swedish and these are the people l had never heard heard of, from this year's DeathList:

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Clive James

Chapman Pincher

Ian Paisley (Bob, on the other hand....)

Bernadette Nolan

Henry Cecil

Denis Healey

Reg Presley

Peter O'Sullevan

Billy Graham

PD James

Richard Adams

General Jaruzelski

Peter Seeger

Nicholas Parsons

Ian Brady

The people on this year's DL whose existence I learned about when they appeared here are:

• Chapman Pincher
  • Anna Wing
  • Gough Whitlam
  • Henry Cecil
  • Denis Healey
  • Reg Presley (of course I already knew the Troggs, but not his name)
  • Michael Winner
  • Peter O'Sullevan
  • PD James
  • Jake Lamotta
  • Peter Sallis
  • Stan Lee
  • Nicholas Parsons
  • Elaine Stritch
  • Ian Brady

There's a UK trend in them.

regards,

Hein

The people on this year's DL whose existence I learned about when they appeared here are:

• Chapman Pincher
  • Anna Wing
  • Gough Whitlam
  • Henry Cecil
  • Denis Healey
  • Michael Winner
  • Peter O'Sullevan
  • PD James
  • Jake Lamotta
  • Peter Sallis
  • Stan Lee
  • Nicholas Parsons
  • Elaine Stritch
  • Ian Brady

regards,

Hein

You'd really never heard of PD James or Stan Lee??? Dude, you need to get out more

• Chapman Pincher
  • Anna Wing
  • Gough Whitlam
  • Henry Cecil
  • Denis Healey
  • Michael Winner
  • Peter O'Sullevan
  • PD James
  • Jake Lamotta
  • Peter Sallis
  • Stan Lee
  • Nicholas Parsons
  • Elaine Stritch
  • Ian Brady

You'd really never heard of PD James or Stan Lee??? Dude, you need to get out more

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I think that my ignorance and knowledge reveal what kind of books I read. I'm not fond of whodunnits and Marvel Comics...

regards,

Hein

• Chapman Pincher
  • Anna Wing
  • Gough Whitlam
  • Henry Cecil
  • Denis Healey
  • Michael Winner
  • Peter O'Sullevan
  • PD James
  • Jake Lamotta
  • Peter Sallis
  • Stan Lee
  • Nicholas Parsons
  • Elaine Stritch
  • Ian Brady

regards,

Hein

Isn't Stan Lee one of the largest manufacturers of the utility knife? ;)

• Like 2

Even though I never knew Sallis's name outside of deadpooling, I admit he's probably the one "mostly known in UK" actor I otherwise had familiarity with solely due to him voicing Wallace!

I couldn't tell you what he looks like, but I just know him as the voice of Wallace from Wallace & Gromit.

The fifth death came on 08 April which is the 98th day of year which if we extrapolate up would give us approximately 18 deaths for the year. I don't think that this has ever been acheived. However on the 97th day of the year the tally stood at 4 deaths so this would equate to about 15 deaths which looks more reasonable. However we know that the Grim Reaper is not governed by statistics.

Next death before the end of April?

The fifth death came on 08 April which is the 98th day of year which if we extrapolate up would give us approximately 18 deaths for the year. I don't think that this has ever been acheived. However on the 97th day of the year the tally stood at 4 deaths so this would equate to about 15 deaths which looks more reasonable. However we know that the Grim Reaper is not governed by statistics.

Next death before the end of April?

Thanks for doing your part of the maths, let me do the rest: at 18 deaths per year (dpy) on average every 365 / 18 = 20 days. The Witch died 8 April 2013, so 28 April would be the day. At 17 dpy we're looking at hit every 21.5 days, so 30 April would be it. Oh, could it be Mandela, just to poop on the Dutch national party?

regards,

Hein

The record is definitely on I think...

Has anyone noticed how a lot of the names who have died so far seem to be in a little "clump" in the middle of the list? It started with Michael Winner and Patty Andrews who were next to each other and I didn't think much of it. Now Thatcher is dead as well and Reg Presley is only a couple of rows above them. Do you think Bob Dole, Harper Lee and Peter O'Sullevan would/should be worried if they could see the list... :scratchhead::D

Has anyone noticed how a lot of the names who have died so far seem to be in a little "clump" in the middle of the list?

I suppose this is the clumpiness associated with random (i.e. patternless) data, previously discussed here. For the same reason we see constellations in the stars, rather than patterns.

Now Thatcher is dead as well and Reg Presley is only a couple of rows above them. Do you think Bob Dole, Harper Lee and Peter O'Sullevan would/should be worried if they could see the list... :scratchhead::D

Knowing to be on the list, while flattering, must be worrying for any candidate. The only one who's let us know his feelings takes it in great stride:

8373811764_35a287c28b_m.jpg

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

We are running behind on 2008 - Richard Widmark was the 5th death on 26/3 followed by the sixth death (Charlton Heston) on 6/4.

But if you compare to the other record year 2003 the 5th death did not occur until 27th June (Strom Thurmond), so we are ahead.

Anyone care to have a stab at the 10 names that would break the record?

We are running behind on 2008 - Richard Widmark was the 5th death on 26/3 followed by the sixth death (Charlton Heston) on 6/4.

But if you compare to the other record year 2003 the 5th death did not occur until 27th June (Strom Thurmond), so we are ahead.

Anyone care to have a stab at the 10 names that would break the record?

gough whitlam

ronnie biggs

clive james

henry cecil

denis healey

general jaruzelski

fats domino

peter sallis

bernie nolan

kirk douglas

that's my guess anyway .

• Like 1

Ronnie Biggs

George Bush

Nelson Mandela

Gough Whitlam

Kirk Douglas

Bernie Nolan

Henry Cecil

Billy Graham

Richard Adams

Nancy Reagan

Does it for me, but there are a couple of other who I thought might do.

Goes to show what a good list we have this year.

I'm gonna go with

Bernie Nolan

Gough Whitlam

Henry Cecil

Wojciech Jaruzelski

Nelson Mandela

Al Molinaro

Richard Attenborough

Kirk Douglas

Joao Havelange

Nancy Reagan

In 8 December 2012, I wrote the following text in the "Ideas And Possibilities For 2013" section:

Deanna Durbin: Actually, we don’t know anything about her health. No one’s heard from her since 1984. Which means that she MIGHT be really ill. Think of this as a gamble, a 50-50 chance.

Well, looks like you should've listened to me. :P

In 8 December 2012, I wrote the following text in the "Ideas And Possibilities For 2013" section:

Deanna Durbin: Actually, we don’t know anything about her health. No one’s heard from her since 1984. Which means that she MIGHT be really ill. Think of this as a gamble, a 50-50 chance.

But at least you had the courage of your convictions and played her in your DDP and so can bask in the glow of points earned. Well done.

But at least you had the courage of your convictions and played her in your DDP and so can bask in the glow of points earned. Well done.

Thanks. At this rate, I'll have 9/20 deaths by the end of the year, which is a decent result for a newcomer. Next year, l'll probably manage at least 20/20...

I have plotted on a graph the hits against progress through the year.

I have used 2013 (obviously), 2012, 2011 (poor year), 2008, 2003 (good years).

Because 2003 was very sporadic (three clusters of intense activity) I think the year to track performance against is 2008.

Our third hit at the beginning of Feb took us ahead of the 2008 line but they crossed again in the middle of March. We are now falling behind dramatically. However if we make the sixth hit before 150 days (30 May) and eight hits before 200 days (19 July) then I still think there is the potential for a good year but it could be 2003 all over again when all fourteen deaths occurred before the end of September.

Another factor could be if we have a more active later part of the year. While 2008 was probably the most well-spread year, with 9 months having at least one hit, the first four months were easily the most jampacked. (7 hits from Jan to Apr, compared to 4 in May to Aug and 3 in Sep to Dec)