Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

2013 DDP Dumping Ground And Salvage Lot

So go on then. Who were the picks who you dropped at the last minute, the Paul-Gascoigne-crying-in-Glenn-Hoddle's-office of 2013 terminal illness? Either you didn't have full corroboration of their malady or you didn't fancy their obit chances.

Chip Hawkes, The Tremeloes' lead singer after Brian Poole and, more importantly, father of Chesney, has had to pull out of those SOUNDS OF THE 60S tours that fill up provincial theatres nationwide, as he's been battling a form of blood cancer. He seems optimistic, though.

Former WCW wrestler Hector Garza is battling terminal lung cancer at the age of just 43. But if The Sun didn't do an obit for Jay Strongbow, no way this curtain jerker gets one.

Jerry Miller is the grandfather of The Jonas Brothers. That's it. I think there's a 40% chance that that would mean his forthcoming death from liver cancer would get him a Daily Mail sendoff, but I'm not sure.

Similarly, Deborah Orr's mother is currently in a hospice with final stage cancer. I'm sure either she, or her hubby Will Self, would find it in themselves to write a terrible self-regarding article about WHAT DYING FROM CANCER MEANS IN TORY BRITAIN. Orr might even find it possible to blame Netanyahu for the death. Anyway, while this is a perfect pick, I couldn't for the life of me find Orr's mother's actual name. So no go.

DJ Cheb I Sabbah has been fighting stomach cancer throughout most of the past year, but who the fuck cares about dance/world music fusion in 2013? Is Giles Peterson even still alive?

So go on then. Who were the picks who you dropped at the last minute, the Paul-Gascoigne-crying-in-Glenn-Hoddle's-office of 2013 terminal illness? Either you didn't have full corroboration of their malady or you didn't fancy their obit chances.

Chip Hawkes, The Tremeloes' lead singer after Brian Poole and, more importantly, father of Chesney, has had to pull out of those SOUNDS OF THE 60S tours that fill up provincial theatres nationwide, as he's been battling a form of blood cancer. He seems optimistic, though.

Former WCW wrestler Hector Garza is battling terminal lung cancer at the age of just 43. But if The Sun didn't do an obit for Jay Strongbow, no way this curtain jerker gets one.

Jerry Miller is the grandfather of The Jonas Brothers. That's it. I think there's a 40% chance that that would mean his forthcoming death from liver cancer would get him a Daily Mail sendoff, but I'm not sure.

Similarly, Deborah Orr's mother is currently in a hospice with final stage cancer. I'm sure either she, or her hubby Will Self, would find it in themselves to write a terrible self-regarding article about WHAT DYING FROM CANCER MEANS IN TORY BRITAIN. Orr might even find it possible to blame Netanyahu for the death. Anyway, while this is a perfect pick, I couldn't for the life of me find Orr's mother's actual name. So no go.

DJ Cheb I Sabbah has been fighting stomach cancer throughout most of the past year, but who the fuck cares about dance/world music fusion in 2013? Is Giles Peterson even still alive?

Well i dropped ronnie biggs , zsa zsa gabor and muhammed ali . Thought i would pick a couple more out of left field as my team felt too safe.

Looking back maybe i should of sent my team in 31st with chavez and George bush sr on it but I don't think George bush will die this year though and we have had these rumours about Chavez before. So either way i'm happy with my list.

I dropped Sheree Murphy's mother who is suffering with a 'rare' type of cancer, but I couldn't find her name.

Peter Harvey, Australian journalist, who had a stint at the Guardian in the 60's...he has pancreatic cancer but I bottled him at the last minute because I felt I had enough borderline obituary picks.

Sandy Jardine..."ooh and that's a bad miss"

Candye Kane - Treatment seems to be going alright and her obituary chances aren't certain

Mesrob II - Nearly nicked him from OoO but decided dementia is too unreliable

Mike Porcaro, Bernie Nolan, Lisa Lynch, J.L. Lewis, Mike Marquesse, Chris Woodhead, Candye Kane, Grace Eung Lee, & Reg Presley for me.

Reg Presley - Resolution for next year: ignore my brain. I nearly didn't pick Jardine either.

Vincent Bugliosi - Probably will regret this as well but no health information after the initial TMZ report

Thor Hansen - Poker player with terminal cancer, though apparently recovered enough to take part in the WSOP last year. Obit pretty doubtful.

Julie Newmar - Sounds incredibly bleak on her blog

Chava Rosenfarb on account of her having died in 2011 and it passing me by. Good job I checked

Marcia Barrett - Boney M member with previous cancer battles, not enough info available to check her current status

Sandy Ratcliff - Ex Eastenders with previous debt and drug problems, changed my mind at the last minute not sure why now.

Richard Kiel - I keep forgetting about him

I dropped Sheree Murphy's mother who is suffering with a 'rare' type of cancer, but I couldn't find her name.

Peter Harvey, Australian journalist, who had a stint at the Guardian in the 60's...he has pancreatic cancer but I bottled him at the last minute because I felt I had enough borderline obituary picks.

Sandy Jardine..."ooh and that's a bad miss"

Candye Kane - Treatment seems to be going alright and her obituary chances aren't certain

Mesrob II - Nearly nicked him from OoO but decided dementia is too unreliable

Candye Kane's health is back and forth. She hasn't had to cancel a gig for a while.

June Foray, Scott Hall, Bill Woodson.

Nile Rodgers - because I only recently found out he's been cancer-free for ages

Leif Garrett - unreliable

Ornette Coleman - was initially more a hunch than an educated guess, of which I've only got room for one (and that spot's gone to Barry Chuckle)

Plus other standard picks like Ali, Hawking and Thatcher. And lost Andrew Andre due to him not seeing out the year

For my main team I dropped: Harry Belafonte, George H.W. Bush, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Astrud Gilberto, Edda Göring, Mikhail Kalashnikov, Doris Lessing, Jorge Zorreguieta.

For my theme team I dropped: Armando, Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau, Gijs van Lennep, Eddy Merckx, Leo Vroman. The first and last because of low obit chance, the others for lack of hit chance.

regards,

Hein

Has he got Alzheimer's?

Vincent Bugliosi - Probably will regret this as well but no health information after the initial TMZ report

Bugliosi was never discussed on here, was he? I did some research into him a few weeks ago and discovered the delightful world of "CHARLES MANSON IS INNOCENT" conspiracy blogs. They're not a big fan of Vinny.

Has he got Alzheimer's?

No, but he has worked with Gene Wilder.

I dropped Tila Tequila & Pete Doherty. Lohan & Fielder will take their final hit in 2013 instead.

Fellow curtain jerkers Bastion Booger and Brad Armstrong recieved Sun Obits the last 2 years. I wouldn't bet on him getting an Obit cause of how short and unmemorable his wcw/wwe stays were but I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled one.

Guest Guest

Strongbow was a weird one, being a hall of famer I thought he'd be a shoe-in. I guess it depends how busy the sun/star are at the time; Strongbow died during Wrestlemania season so there was plenty of other wrestling stories going about at the time whereas Armstrong went at a less active time for the business.

Felt solid about my first 17 choices but deciding btwn the last 3 in and the last 4-5 or so out was something I debated about a bit

Dropped Borganovo cause I think Hallenga is in the same 1-3 years to go range and she is worth more points and I just had a gut feeling she is not seeing the year out.

Then passed on Mandela,Whitlam,Talbani who I think are highly solid but not gimme picks. Beyond the gut pick of Bush I did not want to add anyone from the 80s-90s age bracket unless they were Gibb level lock hits for the year

As I started the email, pick 20 was Jalal Talabani. Then I had a last-second change of heart and put in Bill Pertwee instead.

I've said elsewhere that points wise, the very ill 90 somethings aren't worth picking if I'm to do well, so Jaruzelski went out at the very last minute (albeit he's not 90 until later this year). Princess Lillian likewise went in the last rummage of names.

Buell seems remarkably well, Nolan likewise, Bush I think will hang on.

Others not mentioned already that came close to consideration were Clive Derby-Lewis, Derek Thompson, Salvatore DiMasi, Guy Innes-Kerr, Lord Michael Sandberg, Paul Cellucci and Tim Curley.

As for Mesrob, I dropped him as I didn't think he'd get an obit after looking into his chances in more detail.

I thought I had George Takei in my list, obviously i must of dropped him off for some reason

This is my long list of people I chose against picking this year, for all sorts of different reasons

1907 Run Run Shaw

1907 Rita Levi-Montalcini

1909 Carla Laemmle

1910 Luise Rainer

1910 Errie Ball

1910 Lupita Tovar

1911 Vo Nguyen Giap

1912 Ace Parker

1914 Irwin Corey

1915 David Rockefeller

1916 Joao Havelange

1916 Gough Whitlam

1916 Mary Wilson

1917 June Foray

1917 Joan Fontaine

1917 Rochus Misch

1918 Yasuhiro Nakasone

1918 Don Pardo

1918 Patty Andrews

1919 Shirley Mitchell

1919 Sheila Mercier

1919 Pete Seeger

1919 Walter Scheel

1919 Lawrence Ferlinghetti

1919 Doris Lessing

1920 Richard Adams

1920 Clarissa Eden

1920 Henry Heimlich

1920 Maureen O'Hara

1920 Ray Harryhausen

1920 John Paul Stevens

1920 Benjamin Ferencz

1921 Al Jaffee

1921 Carol Channing

1921 Theodore Van Kirk

1921 Elizabeth Kelly

1922 Dennis Norden

1922 Lou Duva

1922 Betty White

1922 Ewald-Heinrich von Kleist-Schmenzin

1922 Maurice Faure

1923 Murray Walker

1923 John Stephenson

1923 Chuck Yeager

1923 Dora Bryan

1923 Madeleine LeBeau

1924 Janet Waldo

1924 Shaw Taylor

1924 Lesley Phillips

1924 Robert Mugabe

1924 Vivean Gray

1926 Jean Alexander

1926 Ray Price

1926 Leonard Fenton

1927 Sidney Poitier

1927 June Brown

1927 Gabriel García Márquez

1928 Jean Kennedy Smith

1928 Li Peng

1928 Mark Eden

1929 Jimmy Cobb

1929 Jeremy Thorpe

1929 Thelma Barlow

1930 Helmut Kohl

1930 Tippi Hedren

1931 Viktor Korchnoi

1931 Kenneth Cope

1932 Clint Hill

1933 Tinto Brass

1934 Hamida al-Attas

1934 Manuel Noriega

1935 Abdul Fakir

1935 Bob Uecker

1935 Mahmoud Abbas

1937 Morgan Freeman

1937 Jean-Pierre Beltoise

1938 Farouk al-Sharaa

1938 Ian Smith

1939 Liz Dawn

1939 Rudolph Isley

1939 John Bardon

1939 Brenda Vaccaro

1941 Ronald Isley

1941 Ryan O'Neal

1941 Peter Cullen

1942 Penny Marshall

1943 Henry Cecil

1944 Bonnie Franklin

1946 Gwyneth Powell

1946 Barry Gibb

1946 Chris Woodhead

1946 Frank Welker

1947 Felix Dennis

1952 Ernie Isley

1952 Tommy Ramone

1955 Mike Porcaro

1960 Bernie Nolan

1961 Leif Garrett

1982 Ryan Buell

As I started the email, pick 20 was Jalal Talabani. Then I had a last-second change of heart and put in Bill Pertwee instead.

I've said elsewhere that points wise, the very ill 90 somethings aren't worth picking if I'm to do well, so Jaruzelski went out at the very last minute (albeit he's not 90 until later this year). Princess Lillian likewise went in the last rummage of names.

Buell seems remarkably well, Nolan likewise, Bush I think will hang on.

Others not mentioned already that came close to consideration were Clive Derby-Lewis, Derek Thompson, Salvatore DiMasi, Guy Innes-Kerr, Lord Michael Sandberg, Paul Cellucci and Tim Curley.

As for Mesrob, I dropped him as I didn't think he'd get an obit after looking into his chances in more detail.

Nearly put Derby-Lewis on the list but still can't be sure of how bad his health actually is...

Beginning to regret Buell as joker, but still think there's a decent chance he'll go

This is my long list of people I chose against picking this year, for all sorts of different reasons

I can think of at least one good reason for not picking Rita Levi-Montalcini.

• Like 4

I dropped Bernie Nolan, but she's my first alt so odds are she'll get back on after David James's death. Some others I considered but dropped were Gough Whitlam (too old), Ryan Buell (seemed well enough), Felix Dennis (not in best shape but is recovering from what I checked) and Anne Williams. (a cert to die, but there are enough ailing people I'm more comfortable with picking)

I dropped Bernie Nolan, but she's my first alt so odds are she'll get back on after David James's death. Some others I considered but dropped were Gough Whitlam (too old), Ryan Buell (seemed well enough), Felix Dennis (not in best shape but is recovering from what I checked) and Anne Williams. (a cert to die, but there are enough ailing people I'm more comfortable with picking)

Really unlucky but I don't think you will get an alternative for David James, the timing's done you I'm afraid.

I dropped Havelange, Ali, Berry, Wallach and K. Douglas.