charon

Would You Qualify For A 'hit', In Pool Terms?

^^^^ quoteR.gifexcellantquoteL.gif

Tends to be that the younger you are, the more likely you'll get an obit, up until you reach 100-odd. I'm pretty young so I'd at least get a few mentions in the local press and my education institution if I went today

Tends to be that the younger you are, the more likely you'll get an obit, up until you reach 100-odd. I'm pretty young so I'd at least get a few mentions in the local press and my education institution if I went today

Fair point. I had some dealings a few years ago with Michael Baldwin (famous writer of 1960s and just beyond) he was making just that point. When he was younger and hot as a talent a mate once showed him his drafted obit ready and waiting to go at one of the quality papers. Michael must be 80 odd now and I think he's still alive. He was fairly convinced when I met him that he's no longer obit-able on that scale.

If anyone holds any form of public office then local press will always provide an obit for counsellers, churchmen, charity fundraisers, scout masters, captains of local industry etc.

Especially if they die young.

However the state of local press is probably closer to terminal than most of us.

If anyone holds any form of public office then local press will always provide an obit for counsellers, Councillors, churchmen, charity fundraisers, scout masters, captains of local industry etc.

However the state of local press is probably closer to terminal than most of us.

glass houses etc.

• Like 1

I would only qualify if I went on a murderous rampage through our village with a Kalashnikov, then shoot myself.

I would only qualify if I went on a murderous rampage through our village with a Kalashnikov, then shoot myself.

^^^ and only obitworthy due to Mikhail being in ill health.

Not at the moment but who knows.

Being famous is actually something i would hate in any capacity!! So thinking about it probably not unless i live into my 110s or something.

There will be no DDP points for me & no orbit either!

I will do well if I got a mention in our house never mind in the press,

the wife, the teenage kid & the cooking fat are all ahead of me in this life cycle!

Regards

PP

If anyone holds any form of public office then local press will always provide an obit for counsellers, churchmen, charity fundraisers, scout masters, captains of local industry etc.

A fair point, but - as things stand - some dead pools count local/trade press obits and some bigger papers are also so challenged by circumstances they'll filch stuff from those sources.

If I get you the weapon and point you in the right direction?

You don't fancy having your ashes fired off into space then?

You don't fancy having your ashes fired off into space then?

Oh Bollocks!!

I now realise that I wanted my ashes to be the first to be rocketed right out of the Solar System and to travel along with the stars, but that Clyde Tombaugh (February 4, 1906–January 17, 1997, American astronomer and discoverer of Pluto in 1930) has beat me too it, the flash git!

All members of the Royal Society of Chemistry get their Deaths announced in Chemistry World.

When I first became a member (in pre internet days) it was how I discovered Magnus Pyke had died.

Are any of the members of this forum obit-able, for the sake of argument by DDP standards?

I'm not, unless my life changes dramatically but I'm curious as to whether others are?

Only if, when I die, my dad breaks into the Daily Telegraph office, points a gun at them and forces them to write an obit about my death on the first page. :skull:

Doesn't the Grauniad occasionally run obits of nobodies people no one has ever heard of?

I actually did a thread on it a year or two back, but cannae find it now. There was a few.....

Edited by Lady Grendel
Found your thread and merged the posts. Lady Grendel

Only if i went in an accident/murdered and it made the paper.

Saying that I have been, when i was a kid, front page of my local paper (for a good reason),

I've flirted with a ddp q/o type person through (Hopefully not for 40 years or more.)

My odds of getting a QO is 1/1,000,000, which is quite generous odds tbh