adrian0719

Rag Traders

Stephen MacMillan Moser, the former Austin (TX) Chronicle society columnist who was also a fashion designer and high-profile public figure, has died at 61.

Moser died about 7 a.m. Tuesday. He was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer in 2007 and had been under hospice care for two years.

SC

• Like 1

Columbia Sportswear “matriarch” Gert Boyle has died at age 95, the company announced Sunday.

Born in Augsburg, Germany in 1924, Boyle’s fled Nazi Germany with her family at the age of 13. They landed in Portland, where her father Paul Lamfrom founded the company that would become Columbia Sportswear.  Boyle’s husband, Neal Boyle, ran Columbia after her father died. But six years later, in 1970, Neal Boyle died from a sudden heart attack and Boyle found herself at the helm of a debt-ridden company making less than $800,000 in annual sales at the age of 47.

Boyle kept Columbia and led it to become a leader in the outdoor footwear and apparel industry globally alongside her son and current CEO Tim Boyle. Last year, the company posted annual sales of nearly $3 billion, and its stock price has grown more than 1,100% since its 1998 IPO.

She was the first woman ever inducted into the Sporting Goods Association Hall of Fame in 2003, and was also named to the Global Business Hall of Fame.

SC

Oooh, Paco Rabanne aftershave always had quite an effect on me.  :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Oooh, Paco Rabanne aftershave always had quite an effect on me.  :wub:

Me too although Hugo Boss Elements aftershave edges it for me in terms of maximising  the chances a man wearing it will make me go weak at the knees.  :wub:  :D

Sergio Rossi, famed Italian shoe designer, has died.  Apparently COD is coronavirus, but not confirmed.

And I learned a new word- cordwainer.

• Like 1

Clothing designer and stylist Nur Yerlitas, who is known to Turkish television audiences for her appearances on such fashion-related reality and competition shows, dead at 64 years.

https://www.ahaber.com.tr/galeri/magazin/nur-yerlitasin-vasiyeti-ortaya-cikti

Her tastes have made her massively popular on Instagram, where she has over 1.3 million followers.  

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 11:24, YoungWillz said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8420189/Why-furs-flying-Karl-Lagerfelds-fortune-16-months-designers-death-2019.html

Now an enormous saga and feud over who inherits Karl Lagerfelds fortune and how it is  divided between 7 different people as well as the problem of a missing accountant....

• Like 1

Reporting Scotland mentioned Mary Quant is "too frail" to travel to an exhibition in Dundee. Could be a case of taking virus precautions in the Year of Our Lord 2020, or it could be that she genuinely wouldn't cope with the journey. She is 90 after all. Upcoming DL pick?

2 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Reporting Scotland mentioned Mary Quant is "too frail" to travel to an exhibition in Dundee. Could be a case of taking virus precautions in the Year of Our Lord 2020, or it could be that she genuinely wouldn't cope with the journey. She is 90 after all. Upcoming DL pick?

Good spot. Courier in April:

"Heather keeps in contact with Quant but admits the designer is now “quite frail”.

“It’s funny but most people think she’s younger than she actually is. We celebrated her 90th birthday in February.

“She chopped four years off her age when she and Alexander got together...because he was younger than her. In those days, that sort of thing mattered.”

DLy and worthy of a thread imo.

• Like 2

She's my Q in the ABC pool.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Kenzo Takada, Japanese-French designer, has died aged 81. Founder of the Kenzo fashion house.

COVID again, by the way.

• Like 1

Tony Hsieh, the Zappos.com luminary who revolutionized the shoe business and built one of the most innovative companies in modern history, has died. He was 46.Hsieh’s family confirmed his death tonight in a text message to friends.

Hsieh, a serial entrepreneur, co-founded Zappos in 1999 and grew it into a blockbuster business before selling it to Amazon in 2009.

SC

(Edit - Hsieh’s lawyer said in an email he "sustained injuries from a house fire" while visiting family in Connecticut.)

• Like 1

Businessman Christos Tsiolias, co-founder and vice president of the Oxford clothing company, died aged 62 after being infected by the novel coronavirus.

The announcement was made by the Hellenic Clothing Industry Association on Thursday.

SC

• Like 1

Kid was 12, and did one thing, and that was design a shoe, so here he shall be placed.

Just weeks after he got to see Green Bay Packers running back Aaron Jones' thrilling 77-yard touchdown run in the brightly colored cleats he designed, 12-year-old Ethan Haley has died.

The Rochester, New York, boy was diagnosed in 2018 with anaplastic ependymoma, multiple tumors on his brain and spinal cord. He had undergone multiple surgeries and more than 80 rounds of radiation before receiving palliative care.  Haley died Dec. 20, one day before Jones was selected for the NFL Pro Bowl.

In late November, Jones surprised Haley with a video call to tell him he chose his design for "My Cause, My Cleats," the NFL’s annual campaign in which players raise awareness for a nonprofit organization or a cause of their choosing by wearing custom-designed cleats. 

Jones’ virtual meeting with the Haleys was shared in a video (see below). Ethan’s infectious smile was front and center, maybe biggest when he received a pair of cleats just like the ones he designed for Jones.  “I was truly humbled to meet Ethan and his family. It tugged on the heartstrings a bit, but in an uplifting way, because his smile and positivity is so infectious,” Jones told the Green Bay Press-Gazette in December. “As a father, I definitely think about all of the kids and their families facing this challenge each day and I’m so inspired by their fight.”

The cleats made Week 13 highlight reels thanks to Jones' career long 77-yard touchdown run with just minutes to go against the Philadelphia Eagles on Dec. 6 at Lambeau Field.

• Like 2