Mind Mush

Tony Bennett

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ah, thanks. The "streams live" description that The Tonight Show wrote under their own video is somewhat misleading.

Not really. The show is on TV this weekend and “streams live” from that source online.

And I’m the simple one apparently. B8A5F8AE-70C5-4A69-A493-DA4CC3178825.thumb.png.e9065ddeb7b829464182054feea38907.png

On 24/11/2021 at 15:45, DoffinCodger said:

Not really. The show is on TV this weekend and “streams live” from that source online.

And I’m the simple one apparently. B8A5F8AE-70C5-4A69-A493-DA4CC3178825.thumb.png.e9065ddeb7b829464182054feea38907.png

'' Countdown to the moment when Deathers gets another ban''

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 24/11/2021 at 15:45, DoffinCodger said:

A "sneak peek" at a "live event". :rolleyes:

All it says is streams at the same time as it airs. But I'm guessing you already know that.

Tony Bennett as of today. He looks good:

• Like 2

Tony's reaching late stages of Alzheimer's and already did a "Last time on Stage" before being reclusive. Pretty much doing the same thing Glen Campbell did when he got into the late stages of Alzheimers, so it won't be too long.

16 hours ago, Sabaka said:

Tony's reaching late stages of Alzheimer's and already did a "Last time on Stage" before being reclusive. Pretty much doing the same thing Glen Campbell did when he got into the late stages of Alzheimers, so it won't be too long.

True but late stages of Alzheimer`s can last several years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60978161

Lady Gaga paid tribute to him as she performed solo at the Grammys. It says he didn't attend due to ill health. I know he'd given up performing, and is clearly declining due to the Alzheimers, the reason I mention his complete absence is that his album with Gaga won a Grammy, making him the second-oldest winner in history at 95. Seems even a brief public appearance to mark such an accolade is beyond his capabilities now.

• Like 5

Clearly deteriorating fast. Looks his age now whereas still looked fairly sprightly and like a man in his early 80`s last year.

I'd still say 2023 is more likely than 2022 based on those photos. 

13 hours ago, Deathrace said:

I'd still say 2023 is more likely than 2022 based on those photos. 

Then I say 2024 is more likely than 2023.

Bless him. There will be a lot of “end of an era” talk when he goes, but are there any other notable male crooners left who were popular in the 1950s? I can only think of Dennis Lotis, born 1925, who was pretty popular in the UK despite never charting. 

2 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Bless him. There will be a lot of “end of an era” talk when he goes, but are there any other notable male crooners left who were popular in the 1950s? I can only think of Dennis Lotis, born 1925, who was pretty popular in the UK despite never charting. 

Belafonte 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 06/06/2022 at 12:22, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

I'm probably missing some, but beyond Belafonte, I can think of Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Mathis, Paul Anka, and definitely Pat Boone.  Boone was the best-charting artist of the late 1950's in America that was not named Elvis.   

I had to look this up, but Frankie Valli just misses out here, as he became the lead singer of The Four Seasons in 1960.  

2 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I'm probably missing some, but beyond Belafonte, I can think of Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Mathis, Paul Anka, and definitely Pat Boone.  Boone was the best-charting artist of the late 1950's in America that was not named Elvis.   

I had to look this up, but Frankie Valli just misses out here, as he became the lead singer of The Four Seasons in 1960.  

Dion Dimucci and Johnny Tillotson maybe as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Frankie Avalon?

• Like 1

I had never heard of those two names, Deathrace.  YoungWillz, yes, Avalon is one I missed for sure.  He had his first string of big hits in 1959!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I had never heard of those two names, Deathrace.  YoungWillz, yes, Avalon is one I missed for sure.  He had his first string of big hits in 1959!  

Also, Dion Dimucci from Dion and the Belmonts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Would be surprised if you've never heard "The Wanderer" and "Poetry in Motion", their most famous songs respectively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Would be surprised if you've never heard "The Wanderer" and "Poetry in Motion", their most famous songs respectively. 

It's only in recent years that I've seen him regularly mentioned by his full name.  He used to be known simply as Dion. 

• Thanks 1

Good shouts! I was thinking more of people whose style wasn’t informed by rock and roll and R&B though, people who were crooners in the pre-rock style. There’s so many rock/R&B performers still going including almost every British rock and roller of the era. 

29 minutes ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Good shouts! I was thinking more of people whose style wasn’t informed by rock and roll and R&B though, people who were crooners in the pre-rock style. There’s so many rock/R&B performers still going including almost every British rock and roller of the era. 

Not soloists, but there are a few quartet singers left from pre-1955. The Crew-Cuts, Four Lads, and Ames Brothers have surviving members.

• Like 3

On 08/06/2022 at 14:03, Toast said:

It's only in recent years that I've seen him regularly mentioned by his full name.  He used to be known simply as Dion. 

To differentiate him from Celine Dion perhaps?

Already three weeks old, but he was interviewed by Anderson Cooper for 60 Minutes:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-bennett-lady-gaga-alzheimers-disease-60-minutes-2022-06-26/

He has good and bad times, still more good than bad though. It could be much worse at his age.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Already three weeks old, but he was interviewed by Anderson Cooper for 60 Minutes:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tony-bennett-lady-gaga-alzheimers-disease-60-minutes-2022-06-26/

He has good and bad times, still more good than bad though. It could be much worse at his age.

Correction. The interview was actually done in June of last year and the article was published three weeks ago.

• Like 4