Jump to content
Mind Mush

22. Tony Bennett

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, John Key said:

 Have a laugh, I hope people laugh at me rather than get dull and offended. My Dad has a great sense of humour, he'll probably laugh right with you before forgetting what you were talking about

 

Well, congratulations to you and your father.

Don't lose your sense of humour, @John Key.

It's hard sometimes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2021 at 20:02, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

Will perform live this friday at MTV Unplugged with Lady Gaga, public allowed when vaccinated or tested negative for COVID.

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/06/29/tony-bennett-to-perform-with-lady-gaga-after-alzheimers-reveal/amp/

Wow! Didn't expect him to ever perform live again. I know there were Twitter videos but that's quite a different thing. Nice news. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Performing with Lady Gaga next month at Radio City Music Hall, and one of the shows will be on his 95th birthday. The series of performances is called "One Last Time: an Evening with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga". 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mollyafox said:

The series of performances is called "One Last Time: an Evening with Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga". 

Probably because of Lady Gaga's advanced age.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

95 today!!! (Imagine emojis here)

 

He's going to have a concert tonight with Lady Gaga. No signs of Alzheimer's yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New video released of him singing with Lady Gaga 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still sounds excellent and doesn't seem like he's in a bad shape despite alzheimer's. I don't think he'll go this year.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Bennett: Legendary singer retires from stage aged 95

 

Quote

 

His son Danny said the "hard decision" to cancel the remaining 2021 tour dates had been made on "doctors' orders".

Danny, who has been his father's manager for more than 40 years, explained that while Bennett's singing voice remained strong, the pressures of touring meant he "gets tired".

"Doing concerts now is just too much for him," he said. "We don't want him to fall on stage, for instance - something as simple as that.

"We're not worried about him being able to sing. We are worried, from a physical standpoint... about human nature. Tony's 95."

 

 

Often people need something to keep them going, so they've probably succeeded in finishing him off.  :(

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Toast said:

Tony Bennett: Legendary singer retires from stage aged 95

 

 

Often people need something to keep them going, so they've probably succeeded in finishing him off.  :(

Perhaps better than the alternative article of "Son overworks 95 year old Dad with alzheimers to exhaustion"

 

You point stands, of course, work really does drive some people. Hopefully Tony Bennett keeps getting to sing and post on youtube and doing things within his realm

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Key said:

Perhaps better than the alternative article of "Son overworks 95 year old Dad with alzheimers to exhaustion"

 

You point stands, of course, work really does drive some people. Hopefully Tony Bennett keeps getting to sing and post on youtube and doing things within his realm

 

48 minutes ago, Toast said:

Tony Bennett: Legendary singer retires from stage aged 95

 

 

Often people need something to keep them going, so they've probably succeeded in finishing him off.  :(

Just saw this on the TV- CBS-  his wife says he is happy and doing well- and they have a pianist who comes in once a month and plays for him while he sings his songs-  so even though performing live any more, he is still doing what he loves the best- just not before the public-  I do wish him the best, it sounds like he is surrounded with love and support

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chiesa52 said:

 

Just saw this on the TV- CBS-  his wife says he is happy and doing well- and they have a pianist who comes in once a month and plays for him while he sings his songs-  so even though performing live any more, he is still doing what he loves the best- just not before the public-  I do wish him the best, it sounds like he is surrounded with love and support

Oh wow, that reminds me of what they say about dementia afflicted people... music helps them remember things. Maybe he's already pretty far gone, but only functions through singing.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/08/2021 at 13:08, Toast said:

Tony Bennett: Legendary singer retires from stage aged 95

 

 

Often people need something to keep them going, so they've probably succeeded in finishing him off.  :(

Well he can still record and make music videos. Besides, I doubt that he cares for it if he truly has alzheimers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hm, think I heard that Tony Bennett has Alzheimer’s disease, can someone confirm? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2021 at 22:57, Bentrovato said:

 

I just watched this clip from 60 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNrvXw9juNs&ab_channel=60Minutes

Really quite emotional viewing. It is incredible to watch him turn into the performer he used to be as soon as the music starts or the curtain is raised. It is also touching to see him remember Lady Gaga's name when she walks on stage, and how much it means to her. 

 

But the bottom line for us is: although he is physically quite fit for a 95 year-old and his voice is incredible for someone that old, his Alzheimer's is more advanced than I thought. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Seppuku said:

 

I just watched this clip from 60 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNrvXw9juNs&ab_channel=60Minutes

Really quite emotional viewing. It is incredible to watch him turn into the performer he used to be as soon as the music starts or the curtain is raised. It is also touching to see him remember Lady Gaga's name when she walks on stage, and how much it means to her. 

 

But the bottom line for us is: although he is physically quite fit for a 95 year-old and his voice is incredible for someone that old, his Alzheimer's is more advanced than I thought. 

Just watched the 60 Minutes piece as well.  Kudos to the show for not trying to shy away from the realities of his disease, but at the same time not taking away from his dignity.  He's a remarkable man.  Also, bless his wife for taking care of him so dutifully.  It does seem like he may only have a year or 2 to go, at most. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made history by being the oldest artist ever nominated in a general field at the Grammys. Probably his last nomination but congrats !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Performed with Gaga on the Late Show last night, so not quite done with performing yet. Just gigs it would seem.

 

He sounds great, looks awful. Also seems to have no idea what’s going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Performed with Gaga on the Late Show last night, so not quite done with performing yet. Just gigs it would seem.

 

He sounds great, looks awful. Also seems to have no idea what’s going on.

You know this is from the August gigs right? Not actually the Late Show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Performed with Gaga on the Late Show last night, so not quite done with performing yet. Just gigs it would seem.

 

He sounds great, looks awful. Also seems to have no idea what’s going on.

That's not a new performance, but one of the songs they did back in August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seppuku said:

That's not a new performance, but one of the songs they did back in August. 


Ah, thanks. The "streams live" description that The Tonight Show wrote under their own video is somewhat misleading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use