Spade_Cooley

Jeremy Kyle

27 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's all, folks

Jeremy Kyle Show axed by ITV after death of guest

And at the bottom of that report, oblivious to the irony, the BBC asks:

•  

Indeed and the presenters he trounced in the ratings - Tricia and Vanessa - have been fairly quick to put themselves about by way of commenting. Top moment of irony yesterday when PM on Radio Four asked Vanessa what the aftercare and screening had been like on her show and she commented something along the lines of "nobody had thought it necessary in those days" (i.e. there was none!)

Co-incidentally I'm currently wading through a load of academic papers covering the history of English literature - the relevance being that since we first made decent money selling cheap pamphlets there has always been some entertainment/literary equivalent of bear baiting. Defoe - for example - made money by meeting people about to be hanged and getting their final lurid confessions. The people he met often couldn't read or write, he could embellish their stories without fear of legal action because the subjects were convicted and likely dead before they could sue, and the resulting pamphlets were sometimes sold within sight of the actual hanging (if only the DL had been around then organising the conventions would have been a no brainer, eh?). We progressed to treating asylums as mass entertainment and 250 years later it's the Kyle show. Predictions:

Kyle is in Danny Baker territory - employable but permanently damaged goods

There will be some re-invention of the daytime tv bear baiting but it'll need a decent argument and good PR and likely won't appear for a few months

• Like 1

When Noel Edmonds managed to kill someoneon the Late, Late Breakfast Show they just took it off and within a year we had Noel's House Party. More of the same but without the life threatening stunts. One could argue House Party was the better show. However Jeremy Kyle with all the controversy removed would be akin to bringing back the Test Card. 

• Like 1

Good riddance, and a long time coming.

Jeremy Kyle show will never return. But some of piece of trash TV show will. I see they haven't cancelled Judge Rinder. 

Always used to think the guests on Jeremy Kyle were all actors. Stopped watching when I was old enough to realise they weren't (an acquaintance went on it). 

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Predictions:

Kyle is in Danny Baker territory - employable but permanently damaged goods

I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here for Kyle. Baker has already picked the fruit from that money tree but can surely make a living writing or doing stand up.

Somebody killing themselves after that Kyle show though - it's like one of the 40,000 people running the London Marathon dying - a statistical certainty after 14 years. Make a show containing lots of damaged people and one of them kills themselves in the following week - it's amazing it hasn't happened sooner.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

When Noel Edmonds managed to kill someoneon the Late, Late Breakfast Show they just took it off and within a year we had Noel's House Party. More of the same but without the life threatening stunts. One could argue House Party was the better show. However Jeremy Kyle with all the controversy removed would be akin to bringing back the Test Card. 

Some people who struggle to understand Noel's vast fortune and the absolute loathing many in the industry have for him miss an obvious point that his fortune relies to a large extent on owning formats (i.e. idea for show that appear so original he can oblige people all over the world to pay to replicate them). Being kind to Noel for a second some of those who hate him do so because they're plain jealous (though they'd argue he's cynical and lacking true originality). A key point about the formats being that they can be rolled out anywhere - so the stunt death saw off Late Late Breakfast in the UK but it kept running and injuring people elsewhere and Noel kept earning from the format)

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

When Noel Edmonds managed to kill someone on the Late, Late Breakfast Show they just took it off and within a year we had Noel's House Party. More of the same but without the life threatening stunts.

Yes, I immediately thought of that.  I wasn't a bit surprised when somebody got killed, I'd been saying nearly every week that they'd end up with a fatality.  Really stupid idea.

What sickened me most was when Edmonds was interviewed on some other show, all contrition and crocodile tears, saying that he'd had lots of really kind letters offering sympathy and condolence.  To him.  If people were stupid enough to sympathise with him, he should have had the sensitivity to keep his trap shut about it.

• Like 2

Very noble of ITV to cancel the Jeremy Kyle Show after one suicide among some 20,000 guests. A show that damaging and destructive has no deal being on the same platform as their marquee program, the two suicides in the last 80 contestants of Love Island

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Some people who struggle to understand Noel's vast fortune and the absolute loathing many in the industry have for him miss an obvious point that his fortune relies to a large extent on owning formats (i.e. idea for show that appear so original he can oblige people all over the world to pay to replicate them). Being kind to Noel for a second some of those who hate him do so because they're plain jealous (though they'd argue he's cynical and lacking true originality). A key point about the formats being that they can be rolled out anywhere - so the stunt death saw off Late Late Breakfast in the UK but it kept running and injuring people elsewhere and Noel kept earning from the format)

That's disgusting.  I hate the prick even more now.

I disagree with Edmonds' personal views as much as I disagree with Sting's personal views. Doesn't stop me having an admiration for his shows and performances.

Kyle though. I believe he is sick in the head like Ricky Gervais for example. They are out and out bullies who make entertainment out of bullying people. And that can only lead to a confirmation that such behaviour is acceptable. The kind of "Why aren't you normal like me?" attitude akin to the "You are fat/disbled/bald/wear glasses/got no teeth, if only you worked harder you could be normal" whatever that is.

The Island show I've never seen, I'm assuming that's different in that high maintenance vain people go on and find they are not quite as beautiful on the inside and the requirement that the general public demand they remain as beautiful but flawed and stay in the papers because without that they have nothing. But I'm guessing purely from the format. Should have realised people were going to die from being on the show as soon as my dad started watching it....:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Kyle though. I believe he is sick in the head like Ricky Gervais for example. They are out and out bullies who make entertainment out of bullying people.

Makes it all the weirder that Kyle was the chap behind Jez's Midnight Confessions on Virgin radio at the turn of the century. He used to talk folk down from suicide on that show... to the point I never twigged it was Kyle until a few years ago!

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, msc said:

Makes it all the weirder that Kyle was the chap behind Jez's Midnight Confessions on Virgin radio at the turn of the century. He used to talk folk down from suicide on that show... to the point I never twigged it was Kyle until a few years ago!

He could do with you as his publicist!

6 hours ago, Toast said:

That's disgusting.  I hate the prick even more now.

But at least then the guests knew there was a chance they might croak 

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I disagree with Edmonds' personal views as much as I disagree with Sting's personal views. Doesn't stop me having an admiration for his shows and performances.

Kyle though. I believe he is sick in the head like Ricky Gervais for example. They are out and out bullies who make entertainment out of bullying people. And that can only lead to a confirmation that such behaviour is acceptable. The kind of "Why aren't you normal like me?" attitude akin to the "You are fat/disbled/bald/wear glasses/got no teeth, if only you worked harder you could be normal" whatever that is.

The Island show I've never seen, I'm assuming that's different in that high maintenance vain people go on and find they are not quite as beautiful on the inside and the requirement that the general public demand they remain as beautiful but flawed and stay in the papers because without that they have nothing. But I'm guessing purely from the format. Should have realised people were going to die from being on the show as soon as my dad started watching it....:lol:

We might have something here

Give your dad a list of the 48 survivors on the current Deathlist and a copy of the Radio Times!

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

We might have something here

Give your dad a list of the 48 survivors on the current Deathlist and a copy of the Radio Times!

Ah, I'm afraid there is a problem with that proposal at the moment. :(

• Sad 1