En Passant

Deathlist Swap

This has been nagging away at me for a bit. Assuming you had the power, who is the one person (and only one) you would swap onto the deathlist to replace a current incumbent and why?

in order that this is not just a free for all regarding the most hated people on the planet (or the most respected), perhaps there should be some similarity between the two choices, such as similar profession, or from the same country?

My current choice would be Clive James off and the ever popular Piers Morgan on.

Reasoning I guess is self-explanatory however for the record - James made me laugh a hell of lot and had a lot of pertinent and objective views (to my mind anyway, doubtless others disagree), Morgan is a self serving arsehole of the first order with no detectable humility at all.

Similarity - Journalism.

Since I'm still a total noobski, two caveats:

1. I did search for a similar topic using advanced search but came up blank with "swap" and "swap deathlist". Naturally it's entirely possible that I missed it anyway or that it was worded in a way I hadn't considered.

2. I suppose it is also possible this idea will elicit the ire of some guests by suggesting currently healthy people are more deserving in some sense of being on the list than those currently there. And/or that this is a step too far for current members sensibilities.

In either case, or of course some other reason I've inevitably not thought of such as "what is this boring idiot thinking of?", please simply remove it.

The Death List is compiled on the basis of who is likely to die this year. Popularity is not a factor. I suspect that if it were, the list would be markedly different.

Oh, um, seems I have failed to make myself clear. I'm aware how the deathlist itself works, just I joined right at the start of the year and too late for an actual DDP entry (gives me a whole year to bone up before I do enter one). This was more along the lines of a wishful thinking game, hence it's in the extra-curricular forum rather than the actual dl one. I knew it was a daft idea and that it probably only appealed to my wild imagination.

I joined right at the start of the year and too late for an actual DDP entry (gives me a whole year to bone up before I do enter one).

In the meantime, you could have a go on the Rotten Dead Pool . You can start any time you want, and your entry runs for a year from the start date. Disadvantage is you can only pick from people already on their list*, but you also have a month's grace in which you can change any or all of your picks during the first month.

* I haven't looked to see if Piers Morgan is on there.

Bhumibol Adulyadej out Hugo Chavez in. I know Chavez isn't a king but he sure acts like one.

I joined right at the start of the year and too late for an actual DDP entry (gives me a whole year to bone up before I do enter one).

In the meantime, you could have a go on the Rotten Dead Pool . You can start any time you want, and your entry runs for a year from the start date. Disadvantage is you can only pick from people already on their list*, but you also have a month's grace in which you can change any or all of your picks during the first month.

* I haven't looked to see if Piers Morgan is on there.

Yes he is... Been picked by only one person from Minnesota back in 2011.

Also you could join the Ghoul Pool at any time. http://www.theghoulpool.com/ Their game ends Dec' 31st and you can only play people in your team who have yet to be picked by already signed on players. All-comers "the minors" enter ten name teams. Win the all-comers event and you get to enter a 20 name team the following year as an invited guest in "the majors" having prime picks before all-comers can sign up their teams.

As for a swap. I would add Wilko Johnson for just about any of the old time American list lingerers. Douglas, Graham, Ginsberg, Farrakan, Reagan, Garner and Gabor to name a "magnificent seven" who look like they are forever on their last leg(s) but who keep rolling on and on and on...

I can see but a single day in the future when three of these seven will pop their clogs within a 24 hour period when I've not got them listed on a valid Rotten dead pool entry!