Guest Catherine

Billy Graham

I actually had a dream a few nights ago that Billy Graham would die this week.

RIP, my first hit of 2018.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rhys said:

another DL bedblocker gone...

Kirk Douglas next....!

• Like 2

Just now, Dead Wait said:

Kirk Douglas next....!

we all know he'll hang on until he's about 160

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 23:57, Death Impends said:

Billy may outlast yet another associate: evangelist Luis Palau, who worked as a translator for Billy Graham before founding his own ministry and has sometimes been called "the Latin American Billy Graham," has stage 4 lung cancer.

What do you know. The associate outlived him for once...

7 minutes ago, Éricles Souza said:

Billy Graham just died!

No shit Sherlock!

Yeeeeah that's my third hint of 2018, Rest In Peace Billy, we didn't expect u to be the second one of 2018 ! 

I hope that all his religious fanaticism dies with him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Ashes Urn said:

One day all religious fanaticism died

3 minutes ago, The Ashes Urn said:

Yes, those Baptist shootings and bombings throughout Europe have exhausted all of us.

3 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Billy Graham has died according to numerous sources 

So he outlived his younger colleague, Fred Phelps by 3 years and 11 months.

Let us use this opportunity to cite a few lines from Fred's "premature eulogy" (or should I say "cacology") to Billy:

The Lord Jesus Christ spoke directly to You and all you(r) false prophet preachers, priests and rabbis when he said "You serpents, you generation of vipers! How can you escape the damnation of Hell?" (Matthew 23:33) A rhetorical question, begging its answer in its teeth as it comes – You cannot escape the damnation of Hell! That's the meaning!

Thanks for the detailed explanation Fred – I would never have found out the meaning without you!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, The Ashes Urn said:

Well said. One thing the world would be better off without is religious fanaticism, and that applies to all religions not just Christianity

• Like 1

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!

At least we end the 'did you mean the preacher or the wrestler' issue going forward.
SC

• Haha 3

Sad only because a family lost their grandfather and father. Terrible man otherwise.

Nevertheless my 2th hit!

• Like 2

There is one thing about this gentleman that I read on Wikipedia:

"Graham held anti-gay views. He believed that AIDS was a "judgement from God" and he was opposed to same-sex marriage" 

As always, he was another religious fanatic who believed that the world revolved around his belief, as many people do. It does not seem very good or fair to want such a devastating disease for people, let alone calling them "God's judgment." In doing so he was not much different from the ancient peoples who believed that any disease or phenomenon of nature was a result of the "wrath of God".  

I'm homosexual and, frankly, this man was late. For me it did not stink or smell. If he had been consistent with his own doctrine, he would have gone a long time ago

Forgive me if I was a little stiff in my words, I am not a saint, I am very far from being so, but if there is something I am honest, my parents taught me to have character and manliness above all else. 

That he does not agree with homosexuality and does not agree with our view of the world is one thing, after all everyone has the right to freedom of expression, but to say such absurdity about AIDS knowing that many people have already had their lives destroyed because of this disease , it's a lot of mischief and even lack of respect towards the next.

Go, Billy Graham, it's late.

Preaching for the light 

The long church is over

Finally meeting the one he always talked about.

Missionairy perishing

The world is a better place for his passing. Judgemental bollocks creates division which in turn leads to division, hatred and violence.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Éricles Souza said:

Forgive me if I was a little stiff in my words, I am not a saint, I am very far from being so, but if there is something I am honest, my parents taught me to have character and manliness above all else. 

That he does not agree with homosexuality and does not agree with our view of the world is one thing, after all everyone has the right to freedom of expression, but to say such absurdity about AIDS knowing that many people have already had their lives destroyed because of this disease , it's a lot of mischief and even lack of respect towards the next.

Go, Billy Graham, it's late.

If anything, your aforementioned words were far from stiff enough: the man was an arsehole.

Religion is often - not always, but certainly very often - inherently discriminatory. It's all well and good to have one's own beliefs but to preach to others that their own ways, beliefs, mannerisms and traits are wrong in the eyes of their 'god', that's where it becomes inflammatory and a largely sore topic. 

Reverend Billy would've found you an unacceptable human being, and me, and many others, for varying reasons. And that's because he was an appalling bigot, fixated only on his religion and paying no heed to the divisive nature and general distress and truculence it caused.

Happily, he's now in the process of rotting. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

If anything, your aforementioned words were far from stiff enough: the man was an arsehole.

Religion is often - not always, but certainly very often - inherently discriminatory. It's all well and good to have one's own beliefs but to preach to others that their own ways, beliefs, mannerisms and traits are wrong in the eyes of their 'god', that's where it becomes inflammatory and a largely sore topic. 

Reverend Billy would've found you an unacceptable human being, and me, and many others, for varying reasons. And that's because he was an appalling bigot, fixated only on his religion and paying no heed to the divisive nature and general distress and truculence it caused.

Happily, he's now in the process of rotting. 

That's true. I am not against people having their own beliefs and following whatever god they want, after all we live in a democracy not in a dictatorship, but a person wanting to impose the view of their religion as correct and forcing society to follow it is extremely disrespectful.

Pastor way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Reverend Billy would've found you an unacceptable human being, and me, and many others, for varying reasons.

While that might be true, it might be worth stressing that among Evangelical preachers, he might have been one of the more palatable folks. Quoting the BBC:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-13374487

BBC said:

His soft-spoken Southern style was in direct contrast to the fire and brimstone adopted by so many evangelical preachers.

In that hilarious Fred Phelps video I cited above, Phelps called Graham a "Hell-bound false prophet" (and an Armenian heretic) because in his opinion Billy "told sugary lies" when he taught that "God hates the sin, not the sinner". Anyways, I'd be curious whether the Westboro Baptist Church will keep Fred's promise and really picket his funeral with their good old "God hates America" and "God hates fags" signs, just to remind us that even though Phelps and Graham are dead, there are still enough bigotted idiots to take their place.

• Like 1