Lewd_Squirrel

Shove Off, Eh?

Actress, teacher and former senator Viola Léger has died at the age of 92.

Léger was best known for her portrayal of the character La Sagouine in the play of the same name by Antonine Maillet, playing the role more than three-thousand times and winning the Dora Mavor Moore Award in 1981 for her performance. In 2013, she was recognized by the Governor General’s Performing Arts Awards with the Lifetime Artistic Achievement for theatre.

She was appointed to the Senate in 2001 by then Liberal Prime Minister Jean Chretien, serving as a representative of New Brunswick until 2005.

SC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Popular pick in places including the DDP, Hazel McCallion reportedly dead: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/former-mississauga-ont-mayor-hazel-mccallion-dies-at-101-1.6250943

Please please let her get a QO as her story would make a great @Death Impends obit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

That’s a CBC article (non QO) linked to a search engine’s news tab.  It’s quite literally a CBC obit.  The QO rule and/or reason for it is specious if this flies.

“uk.news.yahoo.com (must be a UK link)” pfffft 

You DO know Yahoo is nothing more than Google, they are competitors in the search engine market.  Why isn’t Google News (dot uk) a source then?  

I know Yahoo is in the rules, so we live with it.

Some of us don't have to like it though. ;)

Talking of which, I may be missing something but didn't someone have a team like Yahoo Will Do last year - not resubmitted by the looks of it for 2023?

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I know Yahoo is in the rules, so we live with it.

Some of us don't have to like it though. ;)

Talking of which, I may be missing something but didn't someone have a team like Yahoo Will Do last year - not resubmitted by the looks of it for 2023?

It was one of the old QOs before TMIB cut down on them. I brought all the old ones back when the FFBI ban came in. We were also aware that obits like this would get in when they wouldn't otherwise, but with FFBI gone we wanted to reward your notable but not front page news type picks (basically the Philip Latham specials) who suffered in the past. It's not an aggregator - someone specifically uploads the obits to the UK version. It's about as lenient as the Cmme were going to get when I was there because, despite many requests, the British DDP wasn't going to accept the New York Times as an obituary.

But if the NYT obit is picked up by the British Yahoo, well, so be it. This happens considerably fewer times than you'd think though.

It's not the fix all panacea folk think but it does rescue about a dozen notables from the LOTL each year, so was worth it. imo.

It’s just like the Daily Mail wires system - articles brought in from elsewhere but not all articles produced by that source get published on there. 

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Ahh, that's better: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-11689655/Hurricane-Hazel-mayor-Mississauga-90s-dies.html

Like slipping off those new shoes that hurt your heels into some comfy slippers. :lol:

Well that went well… she got cocky! 

As a wise prophet once said “not every mayor who lives to 101 will be 104”. :P 

• Haha 1

Cause of death given as pancreatic cancer.

Surely very rare in centenarians?

• Like 1

On 16/10/2017 at 23:25, Lewd_Squirrel said:

What if Alex Trebek died, or Keanu Reeves, or Brendan Fraser?

Brendan Fraser has now been added to my longlist.

From 90s hunk to 20s junk.

Pictured first is Fraser in 1997, portraying George of the Jungle. Below are pics from his latest film "The Whale", where he appears to portray a slightly larger version of himself, in his latest bid of "but look guys I really can act".

IMG_9756.jpg.7f564e0af091ff2ef0512827dd65fb6d.jpgIMG_9757.jpg.f39a24865fb0ee3b71cf34a123053f09.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg.27df779b09e41c7ed414c1a3f8c7b38d.jpgIMG_9760.jpg.319cdfc0b01ae12df91ac172766eab19.jpgIMG_9759.jpg.ea020f7c582b4f5dc49f32089a6c1b6e.jpgIMG_9761.jpg.65c93aaebbd76614f7f0274dc99ae35c.jpg

He's ballooned for this role (and he used a fat suit to enhance the look), but he's obese most of the time anyway, and unless he lays off the Krispy Kremes, I can see him dying before his 60s.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Brendan Fraser has now been added to my longlist.

From 90s hunk to 20s junk.

Pictured first is Fraser in 1997, portraying George of the Jungle. Below are pics from his latest film "The Whale", where he appears to portray a slightly larger version of himself, in his latest bid of "but look guys I really can act".

IMG_9756.jpg.7f564e0af091ff2ef0512827dd65fb6d.jpgIMG_9757.jpg.f39a24865fb0ee3b71cf34a123053f09.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg.27df779b09e41c7ed414c1a3f8c7b38d.jpgIMG_9760.jpg.319cdfc0b01ae12df91ac172766eab19.jpgIMG_9759.jpg.ea020f7c582b4f5dc49f32089a6c1b6e.jpgIMG_9761.jpg.65c93aaebbd76614f7f0274dc99ae35c.jpg

He's ballooned for this role, but he's obese most of the time anyway, and unless he lays off the Krispy Kremes, I can see him dying before his 60s.

He’ll be taking up darts next.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

(As reported elsewhere)

Gordon Pinsent, a Canadian acting icon, has died. He was 92. His career spanned decades and included television and movie roles, picking up numerous accolades.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gorden-pinsent-1.6760868

Also the voice of King Babar the elephant

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1