Paul Bearer

5. Pope Francis

Total exaggeration - he didn't fall at all, just a slight misstep which he quickly recovered. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Pftt that's hardly a "fall".

I don't think he looks bad at all. I just question why he hasn't stood aside yet. I seem to recall shortly after Benedict stood down, Francis commending it and saying he only wanted to serve for a similar length himself.

Well... Benedict was Pope for 7 years and 10 months. Francis will be coming up to 9 years in March. 

Funny old thing power and prestige... folk often won't surrender it, even once they're past their sell by date!

Possibly may not have wanted to gather a load of 60+ and 70+ year old Cardinals  in the current climate. Wouldn't be surprised if he stepped down in 2023

• Like 2

just stubbed my toe pray for me plz

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Pftt that's hardly a "fall".

I don't think he looks bad at all. I just question why he hasn't stood aside yet. I seem to recall shortly after Benedict stood down, Francis commending it and saying he only wanted to serve for a similar length himself.

Well... Benedict was Pope for 7 years and 10 months. Francis will be coming up to 9 years in March. 

Funny old thing power and prestige... folk often won't surrender it, even once they're past their sell by date!

Internal Papal politics too, with Francis "needing" to hold on until Benny is dead, so his acolytes powerbase diminishes and they don't have a say in his succession.

Seems like he will not be leading the NYE mass on extremely short notice:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/papst-franziskus-verzichtet-kurzfristig-auf-leitung-von-silvestermesse-im-petersdom-a-e0a38129-dba7-4c38-b8d6-2d255880c137

He will be sitting beside the speaking cardinal.

The hits are now coming more and more often...

• Like 1

Now he takes an Elevator for the Plane. Also assisted for walking.
I'm not sure, but was he always this fat?

13 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Now he takes an Elevator for the Plane. Also assisted for walking.
I'm not sure, but was he always this fat?

No, he was not. He is having a lot of trouble moving, the video cites knee pain, which would result in weight gain from an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. I suspect he’ll go in his sleep relatively soon. He has already far exceeded his immediate family’s longevity. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, arrowsmith said:

No, he was not. He is having a lot of trouble moving, the video cites knee pain, which would result in weight gain from an increasingly sedentary lifestyle. I suspect he’ll go in his sleep relatively soon. He has already far exceeded his immediate family’s longevity. 

Yes, I agree that if the Cmme wait for him to reach 90 to get on their list, he'll be a miss instead. 

• Like 2

I can still see him reaching into his 90's

But personally, I'm going to include him with a permanent place alongside Benedict XVI in my lists. I wasn't aware of some of his health conditions mentioned on the first page in the thread, and he doesn't look fantastic. 

Declined these past few weeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Wouldn't read a huge amount into it. He suffers from sciatica likely to be a flare up 

Old head of state with mobility problems? Wise up. It’s Pan Can. Stage 7 at least.

• Haha 5

The AP article below covers a lot of topics discussed:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/pope-francis-fuels-new-speculation-on-future-of-pontificate/ar-AAY6aNH?bk=1&ocid=msedgntp&cvid=351cc5ac983e46a08245a2b436759d88

• Speculation on his pontificate due to visiting the central Italian city of L'Aquila in August for a feast initiated by Pope Celestine V, one of the few pontiffs who resigned before Pope Benedict XVI stepped down in 2013
  • His increased mobility problems that have forced him to use a wheelchair for the last month (see @roaming_comrade post above)
  • Last week when Francis announced a consistory to create 21 new cardinals scheduled for Aug. 27. Sixteen of those cardinals are under age 80 and eligible to vote in a conclave to elect Francis’ successor (Note the number of cardinals to be created here is on par with Francis' past consistories)
  • Commentary that it would be unlikely for Francis to resign while Benedict is still alive; quote “He’s not going to have two former popes floating around,” with the only insight on Benedict being '95-year-old retired pope is physically frail but still alert and receiving occasional visitors in his home in the Vatican gardens'
  • Like 3

Pope Francis has the same age of Silvio Berlusconi (both of 1936 put the pope is three months younger), but he is more rightful to be in the DL rather than Silvio.

Now let's see how these walking problems will grow.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ajlposh said:

Resignation rumors due to health issues

Can you imagine? Two former Popes shuffling around - there'll be more of them than still-living Man Utd managers at this rate.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Still think next year at the earliest especially if Benedict was to die in the interim. 

It's quite a crucial moment in Vatican history, and whichever of those outlives the other will shape the church for the next 30 years.

As a friendly atheist, I can only say: hurry up and snuff it, Benny. :D

• Like 1

Thankfully, TMZ has all the hot Pope goss.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Thankfully, TMZ has all the hot Pope goss.

“Hot Pope” - sounds like something you’d see in Heat magazine…!

5 minutes ago, Dead Wait said:

“Hot Pope” - sounds like something you’d see in Heat magazine…!

There was a hot Pope in Medici, but then they recast him in S3 with John Lynch. :angry: