Paul Bearer

5. Pope Francis

On 04/07/2022 at 13:29, gcreptile said:

On track to visit Canada this Sunday:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/pope-canada-visit-comments-1.6523304

Refers to the trip as 'a "pilgrimage of penance" that he hopes can help heal the wrongs done to Indigenous people by Roman Catholic priests and nuns who ran abusive residential schools'.  Also repeats the statement from the Reuters interview quoted above on his health issues (he had suffered "a small fracture" in the knee when he took a misstep while a ligament was inflamed).

• Like 1

While coming back from Canada yesterday, Pope Francis admits he can’t do such long And exhausting trips anymore and says that « at his age, he should take care of himself because he has declined »

• Like 3

In Kazakhstan today. Mostly fine but see around 22:58, seems like he can barely stand or walk. Physically he's declined  quite a lot this year. 

Neither will I.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do genuinely believe he needs to go on the DL asap as he won't see 90.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, msc said:

Wouldn't mind having the two popes on next year's list.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Won’t attend her majesty funeral

Is that not just because he's a Celtic supporter though? :huh:

On 16/09/2022 at 13:19, msc said:

It is utterly perplexing isn't it? I mean, Catholics are Catholics and all that, they're not the most progressive of fellows, but how can someone seen as the most compassionate, open-minded Pope in years be set to die while the previous Nazi incumbent still breathes. The Lord moves in incredibly mysterious ways...

On 04/07/2022 at 13:29, gcreptile said:

However, now that Benedict has gone to meet the voices in his head, heavy hints dropped by Frankie (do you remember me?) that he's maybe going to give it up (give it up, baby, give it up, na na na na na na na): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11639905/Pope-fuels-rumours-quit-sermon-virtue-stepping-aside-right-time.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

However, now that Benedict has gone to meet the voices in his head, heavy hints dropped by Frankie (do you remember me?) that he's maybe going to give it up (give it up, baby, give it up, na na na na na na na): https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11639905/Pope-fuels-rumours-quit-sermon-virtue-stepping-aside-right-time.html

imo he will retire (if he doesn't die first of course) in 2 or 3 years, after he's been able to replace some of the Cardinal gaps with folk from his side of the Catholic Church. A harder task than shifting Vince McMahon, an easier task than reversing the fortunes of Scottish Labour. 

• Like 1

In good health accrding to the man himself, but diverticulitis is back.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2023 at 13:49, msc said:

imo he will retire (if he doesn't die first of course) 

The Queen might’ve abdicated…if she didn’t die first of course…

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

The Queen might’ve abdicated…if she didn’t die first of course…

Would she, bollocks. Her mum went to her grave blaming Edward VIII's Nazi loving missus for speeding up George VI's health issues. She was a work till you drop type of monarch.

Or, a drop so you never need to meet Liz Truss ever again type of monarch. Just think, if only she'd known Truss was gone in 40 days/seconds...

• Like 3

I'm sure she wouldn't have been surprised.She had enough experience to suss out Prime Ministers.

I think the Queen had her final decline not been so swift would have had appointed Charles regent but would I think have wanted to resist doing so which she did  manage to do.If she had been bedbound unable to hold telephone conversations and read and sign papers she qould have had to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sean said:

I think the Queen had her final decline not been so swift would have had appointed Charles regent but would I think have wanted to resist doing so which she did  manage to do.If she had been bedbound unable to hold telephone conversations and read and sign papers she qould have had to.

She didn't need to appoint him regent, just do exactly what she did - let him represent her at various occasions and carry out tasks when she wasn't feeling up to it.  That's not the same thing. 

There would only have been need for a regent if she had not been mentally capable.  In which case she wouldn't have been fit to decide. The appointment would have been made by the Counsellors of State.

On another note, he said that homosexuality is not a crime but a sin. A little step for men… a little step for humanity 

18 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

On another note, he said that homosexuality is not a crime but a sin. A little step for men… a little step for humanity 

8/10 Priests prefer it…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Toast said:

She didn't need to appoint him regent, just do exactly what she did - let him represent her at various occasions and carry out tasks when she wasn't feeling up to it.  That's not the same thing. 

There would only have been need for a regent if she had not been mentally capable.  In which case she wouldn't have been fit to decide. The appointment would have been made by the Counsellors of State.

That is what I was saying.It wasn't necessary but if she had become ill to the point she could not function either mentally or her physical health was so poor she was bedbound or unable to do anything at all (eg stroke, paralysis or something severe enough that she was alive buy unable to function at a basic physical level ) then she would have had to.

Fortunately it never came to that and she was able to carry on as best she could until virtually the end.

12 hours ago, Windsor said:

8/10 Priests prefer it…

One of the reasons for declining number of priests. No need to join anymore in many countries to hide it. 

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know he doesn't have a lot of "enemies" in the Vatican anymore. Seems like a lot of them have died during the last few years. There's the US assholes Raymond Burke and Timothy Broglio, Walter Brandmüller who is 94, maybe Gerhard Ludwig Müller and Francis Arinze. Juan Sandoval Íñiguez is another hardliner but seems to be quite ill. Who else?

• Like 2