Sign in to follow this  
Paul Bearer

Richard Griffiths

Breaking news. Harry Potter and Withnail & I actor Richard Griffiths has died after complications after heart surgery. BBC link Didn't recognise the name, but knew the face as soon as I saw it.

Guest Guest

Breaking news. Harry Potter and Withnail & I actor Richard Griffiths has died after complications after heart surgery. BBC link Didn't recognise the name, but knew the face as soon as I saw it.

We've lost quite a few big comedy actors in the last few weeks what with Briers Thornton and now Griffiths.Always kind of knew he wouldnt live a long life being as fat as he was though

We've lost quite a few big comedy actors in the last few weeks what with Briers Thornton and now Griffiths.

But none *bigger* than Griffiths surely. If you get my drift. My extremely subtle drift. Haha, drift - that guy probably liked a Drifter bar or three! Geddit?!!??

So anyway, sad news but not necessarily the most surprising ever. I saw Withnail & I for the first time late last year where he of course played Uncle Monty. Pretty priceless stuff every time he was on screen. Even if I genuinely thought he would die this "young" (which I didn't) I still wouldn't have had the heart to actually list him..

Ok now let's talk shop for a second. I'm definitely putting Ian McNeice on my 2014 list, after this news. Not gonna let two obese actors die without getting at least one. Actually, for some reason I always thought McNeice would be the first to go in the little Fat Bastard Actor deathrace/sweepSTEAKS between him and Griffiths

Didn't recognise the name, but knew the face as soon as I saw it.

I was the other way around. I recognise the name but not the face.

We've lost quite a few big comedy actors in the last few weeks what with Briers Thornton and now Griffiths.Always kind of knew he wouldnt live a long life being as fat as he was though

all them pies he ate

If you read Richard Griffiths wiki page it says he used to go bonkers on stage when acting if anyones mobile used to go off in the audience and get them thrown out of the theatre,so hopefully during his service someone phones the vicar/priest/organist/mourners etc

• Like 1

Oh whoops I forgot to mention, does anyone else remember him in The Naked Gun 2½ as Dr. Albert S. Meinheimer/Earl Hacker? He was funny as hell in that, and a highlight of what was a very patchy film. Especially the bit where he wakes up the sleeping audience by reading that dirty novel.

Oh whoops I forgot to mention, does anyone else remember him in The Naked Gun 2½ as Dr. Albert S. Meinheimer/Earl Hacker? He was funny as hell in that, and a highlight of what was a very patchy film. Especially the bit where he wakes up the sleeping audience by reading that dirty novel.

He was always very watchable whatever he was in. Personally I love that movie, think its the funniest of the three. "I've been swimming in raw sewage, I love it" :)

Personally I love that movie, think its the funniest of the three. "I've been swimming in raw sewage, I love it" :)

Yeah that quote never gets old. And the routine where all the stuff falls off the shelf onto Meinheimer's head was hilarious. But come on, Naked Gun 1 is pretty much flawless. "And the rocket's red glare....... buncha bombs in the air.... gave proof to the night that we still had our flag".

Is this off-topic or what? Are we gonna get fined for this?

Personally I love that movie, think its the funniest of the three. "I've been swimming in raw sewage, I love it" :)

Yeah that quote never gets old. And the routine where all the stuff falls off the shelf onto Meinheimer's head was hilarious. But come on, Naked Gun 1 is pretty much flawless. "And the rocket's red glare....... buncha bombs in the air.... gave proof to the night that we still had our flag".

Um, I shouldn't think so, moved to another thread possibly

Um, I shouldn't think so, moved to another thread possibly

Correct. Might as well have a thread of his own.

I'd forgotten that he narrated the cartoon Raggy Dolls

• Like 1

With coffin nail and I.......

Guess who'll be eating all the pies in the sky...

• Like 2

That was Neil Innes, wasn't it?

According to wiki, Innes done a lot more than narrate

I'm sure Griffiths was connected to it in some way. I remember seeing his name up in the credits. Perhaps it wasn't Griffiths that narrated it, it's going to really bug me now

I'm sure Griffiths was connected to it in some way. I remember seeing his name up in the credits. Perhaps it wasn't Griffiths that narrated it, it's going to really bug me now

Richards own wiki page shows he done something in Raggy Dolls in 1986. Don't know what though.

Richards own wiki page shows he done something in Raggy Dolls in 1986. Don't know what though.

Could be that he just reminded me of the character of Sad Sack

• Like 1

Second hit for my DDP team.

Thank you Richard!!

Almost didn't include him after his performances last summer in The Sunshine Boys on stage with Danny DeVito. I thought anyone who is still up to live theatre isn't going anywhere soon.