Sign in to follow this  
TAFKAG

Iain Banks

"I am officially Very Poorly.

After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid-February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

As a result, I’ve withdrawn from all planned public engagements and I’ve asked my partner Adele if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow (sorry – but we find ghoulish humour helps). By the time this goes out we’ll be married and on a short honeymoon. We intend to spend however much quality time I have left seeing friends and relations and visiting places that have meant a lot to us. Meanwhile my heroic publishers are doing all they can to bring the publication date of my new novel forward by as much as four months, to give me a better chance of being around when it hits the shelves.

There is a possibility that it might be worth undergoing a course of chemotherapy to extend the amount of time available. However that is still something we’re balancing the pros and cons of, and anyway it is out of the question until my jaundice has further and significantly, reduced.

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onwards, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn’t been more cheerful

If he makes it to 2014 he's gonna be the joker of this entire forum, right?

Is Iain M. Banks going to be okay?

After a couple of surgical procedures, I am gradually recovering from jaundice caused by a blocked bile duct, but that – it turns out – is the least of my problems.

I first thought something might be wrong when I developed a sore back in late January, but put this down to the fact I’d started writing at the beginning of the month and so was crouched over a keyboard all day. When it hadn’t gone away by mid-February, I went to my GP, who spotted that I had jaundice. Blood tests, an ultrasound scan and then a CT scan revealed the full extent of the grisly truth by the start of March.

I have cancer. It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

The bottom line, now, I’m afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I’m expected to live for ‘several months’ and it’s extremely unlikely I’ll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.

As a result, I’ve withdrawn from all planned public engagements and I’ve asked my partner Adele if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow (sorry – but we find ghoulish humour helps). By the time this goes out we’ll be married and on a short honeymoon. We intend to spend however much quality time I have left seeing friends and relations and visiting places that have meant a lot to us. Meanwhile my heroic publishers are doing all they can to bring the publication date of my new novel forward by as much as four months, to give me a better chance of being around when it hits the shelves.

There is a possibility that it might be worth undergoing a course of chemotherapy to extend the amount of time available. However that is still something we’re balancing the pros and cons of, and anyway it is out of the question until my jaundice has further and significantly, reduced.

Lastly, I’d like to add that from my GP onwards, the professionalism of the medics involved – and the speed with which the resources of the NHS in Scotland have been deployed – has been exemplary, and the standard of care deeply impressive. We’re all just sorry the outcome hasn’t been more cheerful

Well Clive James reckoned he was at Death's door last year!

I think this is a bit different. Compared to this situation, Clive James was basically just being a bit of a drama queen because he has a lung condition. I seem to remember his agent or someone like that even saying (shortly after "Clive James: I'm dying" became a media thing) that he'll be around for a while (although we'll see obviously).

With Banks we're talking about end-stage cancer. And he's quoting his doctors. Let's give the NHS some credit. If there's one thing they understand, it's death.

I think this is a bit different. Compared to this situation, Clive James was basically just being a bit of a drama queen because he has a lung condition. I seem to remember his agent or someone like that even saying (shortly after "Clive James: I'm dying" became a media thing) that he'll be around for a while (although we'll see obviously).

With Banks we're talking about end-stage cancer. And he's quoting his doctors. Let's give the NHS some credit. If there's one thing they understand, it's death.

I agree and was just playing Devil's advocate. Iain Banks is not usually one for seeking our media attention for his private life and so I have no reason to doubt his sincerity.

However if we get on to discussing the merits of his books I may have to be less generous.

• Like 1

Damn, just finished 2 culture novels on Saturday past.....probably have all bar 2 of his.

And my ex lol, was in The Crow Road BBC version.

Given that he's an author wouldn't it be tidier to put him in to the author's thread? It's what it's for after all.

• Like 1

Given that he's an author wouldn't it be tidier to put him in to the author's thread? It's what it's for after all.

Indeed. Except who will have a thread to himself come January 1st?

Indeed. Except who will have a thread to himself come January 1st?

I see what you mean, if he lives that long.

Well Iain or Valerie Harper.

About a month ago i was at a Chris Brookmyre signing and jokingly asked him whether he was considering releasing his upcoming Sci Fi works (of which Bedlam is the first) as Christopher M Brookmyre.

Rather worryingly, he could now actually find himself as Scotland's most high profile Sci Fi writer, which given the standard of Bedlam (far from his best work, in fact its not even his best Sci Fi work) would be something of a travesty.

Still, if anyone is a collector, Bank's early editions are still reasonably priced if you want to start buying them up. A signed copy of the book that is to be his last, 'The Quarry', should go for a fair bit once its released as he wont be doing a signing tour in support of it.

Eh, anyone who is going to die "in the public eye" should get a thread, I always thought. I've never been one for all the "Chilean Sci-Fi Actors" or "Famous Topiarist" threads that get set up around here, but with Banks you're going to get "the final interview", pre-obits from other dudes, An Honest Report Of What It's Like To Die written by him in The Guardian, etc etc etc.

Great shame. I loved The Wasp Factory and the Crow Road. Go in peace I will miss the books.

Great shame. I loved The Wasp Factory and the Crow Road. Go in peace I will miss the books.

The books will still be there, he just won't be writing any more :)

When I was at university in Glasgow, I worked in a residential home on the Crow Road. I believe that former DDP favourite Edwin Morgan ended his days there. I just thought I'd share that useless piece of trivia with you all. :unsure:

Well Iain or Valerie Harper.

Both of whom have not been given more than "several months" to live (or in Valerie Harper's case, considerably less :( ) so 2014 looks unlikely. Still, we've all probably said similar about Zsa Zsa...

Are those who visit this thread speculating on the demise of Iain M Banks going to be referred to as Culture Vultutres?

• Like 2

Rather worryingly, he could now actually find himself as Scotland's most high profile Sci Fi writer, which given the standard of Bedlam (far from his best work, in fact its not even his best Sci Fi work) would be something of a travesty.

Are you forgetting Ken MacLeod ?

Guest Guest

that is so unfair. didn't even give us a chance to get him on t h e list and Bernie Nolans still going.It's a cruel world

PS tragic news.Condolences to iain's family etc

now dead

incidentally, if he had written that long missive in December, imagine the carnage in DDP - he would have probably been the most popular pick and joker in DDP history.

The flash to bang time seems incredible from the initial report of his illness to his sad death. I googled him only last week and found that he was blatting about the highlands in an M5 and considering chemo options. Next thing, he's popped his clogs.

Very sad news indeed.

Regards the Ken MacLeod/Chris Brookmyre thing, while I'd agree that ken is by far the superior Sci-Fi writer, I think Chris is still the higher profile author.