Crispy

Andy Fordham Memorial Darts Thread

Andy Fordham will he retain his title ???  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just slightly off topic, but what an exciting final it was tonight!

It was great entertainment, what a fight. Adams finally got his title, but Nixon also deserved it. Kudos to both players.

regards,

Hein

Yeah, it's surely rekindled some interest in the sport. I feel a meeting of both world champions coming on, and a sizeable television audience checking it out.

He's surely got to get the message now that he's heading for an early grave unless he changes his lifestyle. 25 bottles of beer before every match is ridiculous. Heaven forbid he ever runs a happy hour at his pub. I know he did that celebrity fat/fit club but that doesn't seem to have made any difference and if he carries on the way he is I'd be surprised if he made it to 50.

Friend of a friend on the phone tonight; can't source the following etc etc.

But: The stroke kicked in earlier than they're letting on, probably as a result of persistently high blood pressure brought on by nerves ahead of the first round of the world championship and the stress of finding himself in hospital and the procedures they had to do. Since when the other health complications mean he's got to stop drinking, now! Not a well man, at all. If they don't get on top of it pronto the Viking's battles on the oche may be history. Probably gonna live, mind. He kicked the beer a while back but replacing those with white wine spritzers all day probably wasn't his smartest decision.

He's also lost at least six stone, dropping down to a mere twenty as we speak. The Rose pub in Dartford is history and he's looking to move near Crawley.

Andy Fordham has given an interview about the stroke he suffered earlier in the year. Sad to see that he is still unable to throw a dart, I hope he eventually makes it back to our TV screens, but it could be a while.

"He also admitted doctors were forced to drain 18 [not 8 as previously mentioned on this thread] litres of fluid from his lungs when he was admitted to hospital – but that initial efforts failed as they could not find a needle long enough to go through his bulk."

Get well soon Andy! :P

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, seriously.

Go well!

He's lost 7 stone, given up drinking & is back playing darts

Good to see, and I for one, have removed him from my DDP list for 2008.

If MPFC's post of Feb 13 is correct it seems he's put on a stone. Twenty One stone and all that new competition stress. I wouldn't rush to strike him off OoO.

It was friend of a friend stuff so I can't personally swear to the accuracy of the estimated weight. I'm guessing the competition stress might be less than the stress of sitting around and wondering where the next cheque is coming from. Given the life he's lived you wouldn't bet on him collecting too much of the old age pension, but I don't think he's a goner right away.

I'll e-mail the person who knows somebody who knows Andy.

Despite the liver damage he was fairly upbeat and chipper on GMTV this morning, or so someone at work just told me.

Daily Mail article with picture of new 16 stone Andy.

Despite the liver damage he was fairly upbeat and chipper on GMTV this morning, or so someone at work just told me.

Daily Mail article with picture of new 16 stone Andy.

I saw him on the TV, just before I left for work.

Good God!!!

He has lost 10 stone ( mostly off of his face, by the look of it) and if it wasnt for the beard and the 1970s Footballers haircut, you would not believe it was him.

Fair play to the fella.

Hefty article in today's Daily Mail which is fairly open about the damage to his liver and the efforts he's making to stay healthy. That level of liver damage could be a problem - however well he looks after himself from now on - in his fifties. He is a top bloke though, so I wish him well.

Ah, Lakeside. Sadly, Monsieur Fordham is not gracing the the stage with his presence; nor, despite my best efforts, am I gracing the audience with mine. I've still got plans and dreams though. Many of you here might remember what they entail; I certainly haven't forgotten. I'm now aiming for 2009, so keep your eyes peeled when the TV coverage starts!

With regard to the early stages of this year, I'm SO pleased that Rubbish John Boy Walton and Cry-Me-A-River Tony David are out! out! out! Early indications are that it's shaping up to be a rollicking finale - hurrah!

fordhamphotorb9.jpg

Looking bad, our man is in need of a new liver.

Cirrhosis, needs a new liver, used to drink 20 pints a day (and then move on to the hard stuff), got up to 30 stone, now a recovering alcoholic, and what does he do for a living? He owns a pub. Fantastic. It's like Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse running a pharmacy.

Not quite, Andy's wife is the publican because it's her name on the licence. The running joke was simply he was the best customer. Though, you'd have to question the wisdom of them living in a pub now. I'm guessing that - financially - they need her income to keep going. He earned well for a while but his current activities involve 'smaller' tournaments and the article doesn't mention any victories. So it's kinda like Hurricane Higgins trying to fight his way back into the top 16 by taking matches wherever he could. That one didn't quite work out.

If things get worse, might he consider double-topping himself?

He does indeed, a really nice guy and good luck to him, seriously.

Mind you, he looks to be packing a fair pair of man boobs in that video. Excess skin, no doubt. That'll probably require surgery too.

I think the most important operation of all is to chop that godawful mullet...

Darts player Shaun Greatbatch is competing at the BDO version of the world championships despite undergoing treatment for multiple myeloma.

Once a 6ft 5in Norfolk giant, Greatbatch, 39, has shrunk to 6ft 1in and his hair has fallen out due to the ravages of his illness :o

Ooh, I feel like DevonDeathTrip.