Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

2 of Turkey's '54 team die in quick order.

Suat Mamat on the 3rd and Ali Beratligil on the 1st.

Both were 85.

• Like 1

Last but not least, 1958 survivors. Again, I'd be grateful if someone could tidy up this to make it readable.

/snip

Soviet Union

No.......Pos.......Player......................................DoB/Age

2.........2DF.......Vladimir Kesarev.....................(1930-02-26)26 February 1930 (aged 28)

7.........4FW......German Apukhtin....................(1936-06-12)12 June 1936 (aged 21)

9.........4FW......Nikita Simonyan (captain)........(1926-10-12)12 October 1926 (aged 31)

11.......4FW......Anatoli Ilyin...............................(1931-06-27)27 June 1931 (aged 26)

16.......3MF......Viktor Tsarev.............................(1931-06-02)2 June 1931 (aged 27)

Ilyin, dead aged 84

Last but not least, 1958 survivors. Again, I'd be grateful if someone could tidy up this to make it readable.

Argentina

No.......Pos.......Player...........................DoB/Age

1........1GK.......Amadeo Carrizo...........(1926-05-12)12 May 1926 (aged 32)

6........3MF.......José Varacka................(1932-05-27)27 May 1932 (aged 26)

8........4FW......Eliseo Prado.................(1929-09-17)17 September 1929 (aged 28)

10......4FW......Alfredo Rojas................(1937-02-20)20 February 1937 (aged 21)

14......2DF.......Federico Edwards.........(1931-01-25)25 January 1931 (aged 27)

15......2DF.......David Acevedo..............(1937-02-20)20 February 1937 (aged 21)

18......4FW......Norberto Boggio............(1931-08-11)11 August 1931 (aged 26)

21......4FW......José Sanfilippo..............(1935-05-04)4 May 1935 (aged 23)

22......4FW......Osvaldo Cruz.................(1931-05-29)29 May 1931 (aged 27)

Eliseo Prado, 86. https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infobae.com%2F2016%2F02%2F11%2F1789369-murio-un-ex-jugador-river-la-decada-del-cincuenta&edit-text=

Trifon Ivanov dead at 50. If he wasn't in your 10 favourite footballers of the 90s, I dunno what to tell you.

CbF02wjXEAAC_E5.jpg

NOOOOOOOOO!! Not the wolfman!

I loved Bulgaria in the 1994 World Cup. The cult team of the ages...

respects.gif

Great to watch..

The 94 World Cup was pretty terrible, but that game will live on. Cheerio Wolfman.

Anyone know the cause? All the articles I read have the same cut and paste press wire.

Enjoy again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT299bOCy3c

The 94 World Cup was pretty terrible, but that game will live on. Cheerio Wolfman.

Anyone know the cause? All the articles I read have the same cut and paste press wire.

Enjoy again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT299bOCy3c

Via Reuters, heart attack.

He'd previously had one about a year or two ago.

Hannes Löhr, player for Germany at the 1970 World Cup, suddenly dead at 73:

http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/ehemaliger-nationalspieler-koelner-fussball-legende-hannes-loehr-ist-tot_id_5322993.html(german link)

He was also the record goalscorer of the 1. FC Köln, and top goalgetter of the 67/68 Bundesliga season.

He later coached the german olympic football team to a bronze medal at Seoul.

Hannes Löhr, West German footballer, 1970 Mexico World Cup, dies aged 73.

Spent his entire playing career at FC Cologne, and managed the W German U21 team, including to third in the Seoul Olympics.

He'd watched a basketball game and apparently died in his sleep hours later.

(OK, so ignore all that - gcr beat me to it, but my link's in English)

• Like 1

Argentina's skipper in '74 won't be smelling of roses this morning.

Roberto Perfumo dies a few hours after taking a tumble when on the piss having a meal with fellow journo's.

http://www.conmebol.com/en/03102016-1954/roberto-perfumo-passes-away

The former Nigerian national team midfielder John Ene Okon has passed on. The player who featured for Nigeria at the 1987 Fifa U-20 World Cup as well as the 1992 African Cup of Nations was reported to have died in Calabar on Tuesday, March 15.

SC

The former Nigerian national team midfielder John Ene Okon has passed on. The player who featured for Nigeria at the 1987 Fifa U-20 World Cup as well as the 1992 African Cup of Nations was reported to have died in Calabar on Tuesday, March 15.

SC

.On his birthday, according to this.

• Like 1

SC

So what you're saying is he never played in the World Cup?

• Like 1

SC

So what you're saying is he never played in the World Cup?

Spade -- actually I twitched a moment as I posted this...wondering if by 'U-20' that was outside the scope of this thread. Didn't care enough to actually read the obit, so letting the chips fall where they may. *shrugs*

SC

Romania's manager in 1970, Angelo Niculescu, dead at 93. This leaves just Raul Cardenas (Mexico), Hernan Carrasco Vivanco (El Salvador) and the aforementioned Mario Zagallo (Brazil) as the final three gaffers from that tournament still with us.

Looks like Raul Cardenas has died at 87: https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.futbolsapiens.com%2Factualidad%2Fnacional%2Ffallecio-raul-cardenas-a-los-87-anos%2F&edit-text=

A player in 1954, 1958 and 1962 as well.

Cesare Maldini, Italian football manager and player, father of Paolo Maldini, dead at 84. Played for Italy in the 1962 World Cup and managed its national team in 1998.

Cesare Maldini, Italian football manager and player, father of Paolo Maldini, dead at 84. Played for Italy in the 1962 World Cup and managed its national team in 1998.

A great legend has died. Rest in peace!

AC Milan will be wearing suspiciously dark black armbands with a weird centre parting in tribute.

Lazlo Sirosi seems to be dead aged 84.

'58 & '62 WC's for Hungary.

Looking for confirmation.

Never played in a World Cup, because he was a meme footballer.

I know but i didn't know where to post that news.

Wouldn't worry too much about that. This is the third thread it's been posted on.

• Like 1