Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

Strong argument for being Argentina's greatest ever goalkeeper as well. Admittedly not a massively crowded field, but still.

• Like 2

Michel Hidalgo, France's manager for the 1978 and 1982 World Cups (as well as their victorious run at the 1984 Euros) dead at 87.

• Like 1

On 22/11/2019 at 02:47, MarcJWallace said:

Yoo Sang-chul (48) who played at the 2002 finals with South Korea, scoring once against Poland, has Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/sports/2019/11/661_279030.html

Not him, but his mother is dead.

2 hours ago, drol said:

Not him, but his mother is dead.

Argh. I saw 'Yoo Sang-chul' and my heart literally skipped a beat.

1 hour ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Argh. I saw 'Yoo Sang-chul' and my heart literally skipped a beat.

Going to be a long ass year for you then.  Did yoo happen to see a game show host recently celebrating a year w PC4?  A game show host - not a world class athlete.  Yoo Diagnosed November.  Not a chance.  2021.  Yoo wrong to think otherwise.

SC

11 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Going to be a long ass year for you then.  Did yoo happen to see a game show host recently celebrating a year w PC4?  A game show host - not a world class athlete.  Yoo Diagnosed November.  Not a chance.  2021.  Yoo wrong to think otherwise.

SC

Yeah, fuck Yoo.

• Haha 1

I mean, I can't find the links after a month (problem with Cup researching via Google translate, eh?), but given he has spent time in the ICU in February/March (and they seemed to think he might have coronavirus too), another 8 months is a long time to go yet.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

And I'm not really disagreeing with you, (which is why I was so shocked to see his name), but median survival is still just 3-6 months, which means that half the victims will die sooner and half later.  Outliers will happen, and being a world class athlete might just make a difference there, or not. As always, time will tell.  

46 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Oh Creep

When will you give the facetious, malingering codswallop slosher act and break and show us the sensible human being we know behind your posts who can talk to people without pretending to be some sort of condescending wanker. 

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Oh Creep

When will you give the facetious, malingering codswallop slosher act and break and show us the sensible human being we know behind your posts who can talk to people without pretending to be some sort of condescending wanker. 

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

• Haha 1

Peter Bonetti ("The Cat") & understudy for Gordon Banks in Mexico 1970 has died aged 78. One of the greatest ever Chelsea players.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 17:47, Sir Creep said:

SC

Yoo will die within the coming 2 months.

On 25/06/2018 at 23:15, Octopus of Odstock said:

Almost zero chance of an UK obit for amy but three more of Chile's 1962 squad are in poor health;

Carlos Contreras had a benefit dinner in April due to his "delicate" health. He's 80 this year.

Jorge Toro, who later played in Italy for Sampdoria, has "strong" leukaemia - http://www.t13.cl/noticia/deportes13/futbol-nacional/seleccion-chilena/la-dura-lucha-leucemia-jorge-toro-mundialista-chile-1962 

Manuel Rodriguez has Parkinson's Disease. 

Carlos Contreras dead at 81 after long battle with Alzheimer's disease.

• Like 1

Report on the death of Edmond Baraffe, part of the France squad for the 1966 World Cup - https://www.lesechosdutouquet.fr/40688/article/2020-04-19/edmond-baraffe-ancien-entraineur-du-touquet-est-decede

Baraffe, who was 77, played for Boulogne, Red Star Saint-Ouen twice either side of a stint at Toulouse, where he scored 35 goals in 93 matches and, finally, Lille.

He made three scoreless appearances for Les Bleus.

Tomás Balcázar, member of the Mexico squad at the 1954 World Cup, has died aged 88.

Balcázar played in both of Mexico's matches at the tournament, scoring in the 3-2 defeat to France.

He's perhaps better known nowadays as the grandfather of the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and West Ham United striker Javier Hernández, better known as Chicharito.

Trivia, Grandfather and grandson both scored against France at a World Cup, the grandson's goal coming in the 2010 edition. Interestingly, both of them were 22 when they scored against France.

https://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenalina/muere-tomas-balcazar-historico-de-chivas-y-abuelo-de-chicharito/1378341

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Chung Hae-won, a striker for South Korea at the 1990 World Cup, has died of liver cancer - https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20200501058000007 [Korea obit]

Chung, who was 60, played in two AFC Asian Cups in 1980 and 1988 and saw South Korea finish as runners-up on both occasions to Kuwait in 1980 and Saudi Arabia in 1988.

He also played for his country at their home Olympic Games in Seoul where they drew with eventual Gold Medallists USSR, who boasted Alexei Mikhailichenko and Dmitry Kharine in their squad.

In 58 caps for South Korea he scored 21 goals and also won the Asian Champions League with Daewoo Royals in 1986.

• Like 2

Sonovabitch.   Do I owe anyone 5 pounds of coffee?

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Sonovabitch.   Do I owe anyone 5 pounds of coffee?

You know, not all Koreans are the same person.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drol said:

You know, not all Koreans are the same person.

I couldn’t read the text.

You know, it’s 2:30am and I checking in on whatever condition you could expect at that time.  Truly gave two shits to look it up.  

Pedro Pablo León, a member of the Peru squad that reached the quarter-finals of the 1970 World Cup in Mexico, has died aged 76.

He played in all four of Peru's matches at the tournament and scored 15 goals in 49 appearances for the national team.

Individually, he was the top goalscorer in the Peruvian league in 1963 and 1967 while also lifting league honours on three occasions in his native Peru with giants Alianza in 1962, 1963 and 1965 and also winning the title in Ecuador with Barcelona SC in 1971 and in Venezuela with Deportivo Galicia in 1974.

https://www.infobae.com/america/deportes/2020/05/10/murio-pedro-pablo-leon-el-mitico-delantero-peruano-que-pudo-haber-sido-el-rey-del-futbol/

• Like 2