Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

1 hour ago, roaming_comrade said:

Quite interesting that there are people that old here. At that age I'd start to worry more about my own death than the deaths of others.

Why should we?

Do you think we all sit in a corner, rocking back and forth, waiting for a heart attack?

Fuck that.

• Haha 13

3 hours ago, roaming_comrade said:

Quite interesting that there are people that old here. At that age I'd start to worry more about my own death than the deaths of others.

Life expectancy for the UK is currently 81, so even in there mid-50s a lot of our regulars have the possibility of a few decades ahead of them. The flip side of your comment is of course presumably the closer you get to death the more likely you are to embrace the inevitability of it and feel less queasy about gambling on others going - having seen so many celebs die already by that point. 

Sadly, a few former forum regulars are now deceased or believed to be deceased but that's life. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

We have a diverse range of ages on here from their teend (min registration age is 13 but I think our current youngest is 16?, although there's been discussing of upping it) to their 60s or older. 

By my fag packet calculations if LFN an remember that 74 world cup he's anywhere from his mid 50s upwards. 

By my fag packet calculations LFN is anywhere from his mid 250s upwards... :lol:

Spoiler

iirc he's older than Willz/Biblio that spate of 1966-68 births but younger than Toastie who is about 60, joking aside.

Look I'm still recovering from the fact Clorox is actually young enough to my son. Aging does this to you...

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, msc said:

By my fag packet calculations LFN is anywhere from his mid 250s upwards... :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

iirc he's older than Willz/Biblio that spate of 1966-68 births but younger than Toastie who is about 60, joking aside.

Look I'm still recovering from the fact Clorox is actually young enough to my son. Aging does this to you...

That gave me a chuckle ha.

Spoiler

That puts you in your late 30s/early 40s then, although in some places you'd be old enough to be his grandad. Thought Toast was a lot younger than that.... 

Edit: Just checked the 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

That gave me a chuckle ha.

Hide contents

That puts you in your late 30s/early 40s then, although in some places you'd be old enough to be his grandad. Thought Toast was a lot younger than that.... 

Edit: Just checked the 

Hah.

Spoiler

Mid-30s, you! I was going on Glasgow timelines, as you reference - I do know folk who were grandparents in their 30s!

Toast has referred to her rebellious 1970s a few times before which would put her about the same age as my mum (ie early 60s). Apologies to Toast if I have aged her unnecessarily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, msc said:

Hah.

Reveal hidden contents

Mid-30s, you! I was going on Glasgow timelines, as you reference - I do know folk who were grandparents in their 30s!

Toast has referred to her rebellious 1970s a few times before which would put her about the same age as my mum (ie early 60s). Apologies to Toast if I have aged her unnecessarily.

C**ts. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, msc said:

Hah.

Reveal hidden contents

In any case, spermy got the idea....

Jaroslav Pollak of Czechoslovakia (1970) is dead, link is in Czech. Older than LFN and Toast, younger than Prince Phillip. 

8 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Jaroslav Pollak of Czechoslovakia (1970) is dead, link is in Czech. Older than LFN and Toast, younger than Prince Phillip. 

Replying to :lol: at the quoted bit as clicking on the laughing like bit for an old footballer dying feels a bit inappropriate!

• Haha 2

On 27/06/2020 at 20:13, drol said:

Carlos Bilardo hospitalised after testing positive for COVID-19.

Bilardo discharged because he was actually negative.

Ardico Magnini, who played for Italy at the 1954 World Cup, has died aged 91.

Born in Pistoia, the defender made his debut with hometown club Pistoiese in 1947 before moving to Fiorentina three years later.

He made 78 appearances for his hometown team, scoring 13 goals. He would make 225 appearances (6 goals) for Fiorentina, being a part of the Viola side who captured the Scudetto in 1956.

After leaving Fiorentina in 1958, he joined Genoa where he made 26 appearances, scoring twice before retiring in 1960.

His passing means only three survive of Italy's 1954 squad managed by Lajos Czeizler.

Those three are Giampiero Bonipierti (born 1928) Carlo Galli (1931) and Gino Pivatelli (1933)

https://www.lanazione.it/sport/calcio/ardico-magnini-fiorentina-morto-1.5286434/amp

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 22:13, BeretBleu said:

Reports Wim Suurbier has died. Link to follow.

Edit:

Played for the Dutch in both the 1974 and 1978 Finals.

Can't translate the Dutch sites due to their bloody cookie acceptance.

• Like 1

Cause of death was a cerebral hemorrhage.

• Thanks 1

So Wim is the Dutch equivalent of Bill.  Never knew that.  I should have worked it out, really.

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 02:25, msc said:

A cursory look at Wiki (with a glance over Google news archives for some of the more obscure names) gives us the following survivors of early World Cup finals.

SNIP

Holland 10-11 West Germany

Jan Jongbloed (b. 1940), Wim Suurbier (b. 1945), Wim Rijsbergen (b. 1952), Arie Haan (b. 1948), Ruud Krol (b. 1949), Wim Jansen (b. 1946), Johan Neeskens (b. 1951), Willem van Hanegem (b. 1944), Johnny Rep (b. 1951), Rob Rensenbrink (b. 1947)

Sepp Maier (b. 1944), Berti Vogts (b. 1946), Franz Beckenbauer (b. 1945), Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck (b. 1948), Paul Breitner (b. 1951), Ranier Bonhof (b. 1952), Uli Hoeness (b. 1952), Wolfgang Overath (b. 1943), Jurgen Grabowski (b. 1944), Gerd Muller (b. 1945), Bernd Holzenbein (b. 1946)

Subs – Theo de Jong (b. 1947), Rene van de Kerkhof (b. 1951),

Ubaldo Fillol (b. 1950), Jorge Olguin (b. 1952), Luis Galvan (b. 1948), Daniel Passarella (b. 1953), Alberto Tarantini (b. 1955), Americo Gallego (b. 1955), Osvaldo Ardiles (b. 1952), Mario Kempes (b. 1954), Daniel Bertoni (b. 1955), Oscar Alberto Ortiz (b. 1953), Leopoldo Luque (b. 1949)

Jan Jongbloed (b. 1940), Ruud Krol (b. 1949), Wim Jansen (b. 1946), Johan Neeskens (b. 1951), Arie Haan (b. 1948), Rene van de Kerkhof (b. 1951), Johnny Rep (b. 1951), Rob Rensenbrink (b. 1947), Ernie Brandts (b. 1956), Jan Poortvliet (b. 1955), Wily van de Kerkhof (b. 1951)

Subs – Omar Larrosa, (b. 1947), Rene Houseman (b. 1953), Wim Suurbier (b. 1945)

Every starter in the 1978 World Cup final, to the best of my knowledge, is still alive, although subb Nanninga has died. And he scored the Dutch goal too!

But if you had to look to the first World Cup final with no deaths whatsoever, it'd be 1990!

With Suurbier's death, hacks away at the Dutch teams here.

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

With Suurbier's death, hacks away at the Dutch teams here.

Rensenbrink died in January this year.

On 18/06/2020 at 18:06, Octopus of Odstock said:

Argentina

3              DF            Silvio Marzolini       4 October 1940 (aged 21)                     

Silvio Marzolini has died  https://www.infobae.com/deportes/2020/07/17/murio-silvio-marzolini-una-leyenda-del-futbol-argentino/ (in spanish)

Haiti's 1974 squad has taken a bit of a battering recently - Claude Barthelemy I posted about a while back.

Also gone is Roger Saint Vil - https://lenouvelliste.com/article/217173/roger-saint-vil-le-8e-disparu-de-la-generation-dor and the article also reveals Serge Racine has died. This can only have been either late 2018 or early 2019 as he was still alive in 2018 https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-countdown-11-weeks-175800431.html but was also listed as deceased when Barthalemy died in April.

Some Argie from the 66 squad reported dead, can't be arsed to look him up.

12 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Some Argie from the 66 squad reported dead, can't be arsed to look him up.

Silvio Marzolini? Pretty old news.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Silvio Marzolini? Pretty old news.

Old news that no one bothered to post in the correct thread.

Just now, Arsewipe said:

Old news that no one bothered to post in the correct thread.

Well, look two post above yours...

58 minutes ago, drol said:

Well, look two post above yours...

Ok, I'm a spacca:unsure:

I'm no fan of squeamish euphemisms for "died", but I like "is no more" a great deal more than "passed".