Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Captain of Cameroon at the 1990 and 1994 WC finals, Stephen Tataw reportedly dead:

Obit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Captain of Cameroon at the 1990 and 1994 WC finals, Stephen Tataw reportedly dead:

Third member of that ionic 1990 team to die (Mfede, Massing, Tataw) . Granted, Central African longevity is not great, but by way of comparison, only 2 if the 1982 squad are dead. 

Really, really sad to hear this, I'm far more affected by it than I thought I would be. 

Only 11 have died from 1990 so Cameroon a count for over a quarter of them. 

(35: 1978, 29: 1982, 29: 1986, 17: 1994, 10: 1998, 4: 2002, 5: 2006, 2: 2010 and 2014.)

Also 3 dead from their 1994 squad now (Mfede, Tataw, Foe) 

I never knew Ben "Massacre" Massing had died. Has to be the title holder of the most blatant red card in WC history.

26 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

I never knew Ben "Masacre" Massing had died. Has to be the title holder of the most blatant red card in WC history.

Surely Luis Suarez Uruguay vs Ghana 2010?

But Massing wins on a comic level, somewhat blaming Caniggia for the fact his (Massing) boot had come off. 

On 31/07/2020 at 19:56, Octopus of Odstock said:

Surely Luis Suarez Uruguay vs Ghana 2010?

But Massing wins on a comic level, somewhat blaming Caniggia for the fact his (Massing) boot had come off. 

I forgot Zidane's in the final as well. But as you said for comic timing Massing was the man!

Vladica Popovic, who played at the 1958 and 1962 World Cups for Yugoslavia has died in Belgrade aged 85.

https://www.eltiempo.com/deportes/futbol-internacional/perfil-de-vladimir-popovic-tecnico-yugoeslavio-fallecido-527900

As a player, he collected several league titles, all with Red Star Belgrade.

He began his managerial career in Venezuela before moving on through to Colombia and eventually to Peru's national team.

That came after he led Red Star to a double of the Intercontinental Cup and the Yugoslav league after he succeeded Ljupko Petrovic who had led Red Star to the European Cup in 1991.

• Like 1

I apologise in advance if I seem like I don't fit in, this is my first post after lurking for years, but now I feel I finally have something to say

Regarding the 1950 Yugoslavia World Cup squad, I couldn't find any records that Siniša Zlatković died - I actually found a person claiming he was still alive as of 2019. However, considering that his birth year can't even be confirmed and I've found four different claims (of which the most likely is 1928., I don't believe the Serbian wikipedia saying 1934. because that would make him 16 at the time of the World Cup), I don't know how plausible that is. Still, 92 isn't even that crazy of an age, it's not impossible.

And, a question. Who is the 5th deceased player from the 2006 World Cup? I know Tchangai, Benitez, Husin and Reyes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, invalidbelarusian said:

I apologise in advance if I seem like I don't fit in, this is my first post after lurking for years, but now I feel I finally have something to say

Regarding the 1950 Yugoslavia World Cup squad, I couldn't find any records that Siniša Zlatković died - I actually found a person claiming he was still alive as of 2019. However, considering that his birth year can't even be confirmed and I've found four different claims (of which the most likely is 1928., I don't believe the Serbian wikipedia saying 1934. because that would make him 16 at the time of the World Cup), I don't know how plausible that is. Still, 92 isn't even that crazy of an age, it's not impossible.

And, a question. Who is the 5th deceased player from the 2006 World Cup? I know Tchangai, Benitez, Husin and Reyes

No harm in asking at all. Re. Zlatkovic, he is like some of the Swiss players. No proof at all he's still alive but im happy to put him back on if he is actually living. I sincerely doubt it though. 

2006 - Badilla, Costa Rica 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

We're used to regular deaths from the older World Cups (up to the 1986 here) but 5 deaths already from a World Cup I sat and watched the entire thing through at uni feels a bit too close for comfort. As does someone who played in a game I watched with the wean (Tiote)!

6 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Thank you for the answer, I must have missed that one.

On 19/07/2020 at 21:17, Octopus of Odstock said:

Haiti's 1974 squad has taken a bit of a battering recently - Claude Barthelemy I posted about a while back.

Also gone is Roger Saint Vil - https://lenouvelliste.com/article/217173/roger-saint-vil-le-8e-disparu-de-la-generation-dor and the article also reveals Serge Racine has died. This can only have been either late 2018 or early 2019 as he was still alive in 2018 https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-countdown-11-weeks-175800431.html but was also listed as deceased when Barthalemy died in April.

Another one - the first player to be banned for taking a stimulant during a game - Ernst Jean-Joseph. https://rezonodwes.com/2020/08/14/lancienne-star-du-football-haitien-ernst-jean-joseph-est-mort-a-72-ans/

• Like 1

On 31/07/2020 at 20:10, Octopus of Odstock said:

Third member of that ionic 1990 team to die (Mfede, Massing, Tataw) . Granted, Central African longevity is not great, but by way of comparison, only 2 if the 1982 squad are dead. 

Really, really sad to hear this, I'm far more affected by it than I thought I would be. 

Only 11 have died from 1990 so Cameroon a count for over a quarter of them. 

(35: 1978, 29: 1982, 29: 1986, 17: 1994, 10: 1998, 4: 2002, 5: 2006, 2: 2010 and 2014.)

Also 3 dead from their 1994 squad now (Mfede, Tataw, Foe) 

That's almost South Africa 1995 Rugby World Cup levels of bad luck. 

Tam Forsyth, nicknamed Jaws by fans of Rangers where he had a glittering career after joining from Motherwell, has died aged 71.

He was a part of the 1978 World Cup squad who travelled to Argentina.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12049624/tom-forsyth-former-motherwell-rangers-and-scotland-defender-dies-aged-71

8 hours ago, MarcJWallace said:

Tam Forsyth, nicknamed Jaws by fans of Rangers where he had a glittering career after joining from Motherwell, has died aged 71.

He was a part of the 1978 World Cup squad who travelled to Argentina.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12049624/tom-forsyth-former-motherwell-rangers-and-scotland-defender-dies-aged-71

@YoungWillz will be pleased you posted this. :lol:

On 21/08/2020 at 11:38, chilean way said:

Tunisian football player Hamadi Agrebi (real name Mohamed Ben Rehaiem) who played for Tunisia in the 1978 FIFA World Cup has died at 69 https://www.mosaiquefm.net/ar/تونس-رياضة-أخبار/783957/وفاة-ساحر-الأجيال-حمادي-العقربي (in arabic)

How the hell are you searching Arabic articles 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

مع مترجم جوجل؟

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

مع مترجم جوجل؟

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2020 at 23:06, Octopus of Odstock said:

Updated lists. Numbers going down relatively rapidly from a few years ago. People highlighted in red are those I'm 99% certain are still alive.
16......3MF.....Pedro Nájera...........(1929-02-03)3 February 1929 (aged 25)......0............Club América

Looking up names for the Scavenger game and it turns out Pedro Najera died yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ephrem M'Bom, a member of Cameroon's 1982 World Cup squad, has died aged 66.

Though his Wikipedia claims "several" appearances for the Indomitable Lions, there are only seven listed on his profile - and that he was also in the squad for the Cup of Nations in 1982.

https://www.kick442.com/mbom-ephrem-dies-at-66

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MarcJWallace said:

Ephrem M'Bom, a member of Cameroon's 1982 World Cup squad, has died aged 66.

Though his Wikipedia claims "several" appearances for the Indomitable Lions, there are only seven listed on his profile - and that he was also in the squad for the Cup of Nations in 1982.

https://www.kick442.com/mbom-ephrem-dies-at-66

That obituary has wonderful wording as a euphemism for death. 

He dies barely months after another Indomitable Lions of Cameroon great defender Tataw Eta Stephen embarked on the journey to the world beyond.

• Haha 1