Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

19 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

English wiki says he passed away on 30 August 2011. No reference found or mentioned.

I looked into this and the editor is a Swiss personage who has edited other footballer Wikis. But there's nothing in any Serbian media and as he was also an international coach, I would have been surprised if nothing was noted at any point. 2011 could well be true but I can't find anything.

These days I tend to err on alive until proved dead even if most of the pre 1930 footballers and some of the South American footballers from 1958 are likely gone.

• Like 1

Wolfgang Fahrian, West Germany's starting goalkeeper in the 1962 World Cup, dead at 80. Later went on to be a football agent representing such luminaries as Leeds United favourite Roque Júnior and one-time WWE hopeful Tim Wiese.

• Like 3

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jcc said:

He was on my potential list for the next round of Deathlist Cup.

East German player Joachim Streich (German language source) dead aged 71. Scored 2 goals in 1974 World Cup.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 16/04/2022 at 13:11, time said:

East German player Joachim Streich (German language source) dead aged 71. Scored 2 goals in 1974 World Cup.

Vell, Vell, Vell, we haf a Times Obit for Streich himmelself: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/joachim-streich-obituary-zrf6glfng

Seems if you beat Ray Clemence, you are worthy of the honour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Vell, Vell, Vell, we haf a Times Obit for Streich himmelself: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/joachim-streich-obituary-zrf6glfng

Seems if you beat Ray Clemence, you are worthy of the honour.

I honestly can understand msc’s wrath at Ronnie Hellstrom not getting a QO at this point 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

twiddling my thumbs awaiting the anticipated hellstrom obit, he only backstopped sweden in 3 straight no biggie

Streich was the better player of the two and, as a striker, got more glory. I'm a little surprised, but not overly, that he got a QO

27 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Streich was the better player of the two and, as a striker, got more glory. I'm a little surprised, but not overly, that he got a QO

yea but I didn't pick him so it's not fair

• Haha 2

I thought Ivica Osim would have had more mentions on the forum, but his sole one comes upthread. Anyway, he's dead at 80. Managed Yugoslavia to the quarters in 1990, and was part of the Yugo squad that finished runners-up in the 1968 Euros. Had a big run as Strum Graz manager in the late 90s as well.

• Like 3

On 01/05/2022 at 15:24, Spade_Cooley said:

I thought Ivica Osim would have had more mentions on the forum, but his sole one comes upthread. Anyway, he's dead at 80. Managed Yugoslavia to the quarters in 1990, and was part of the Yugo squad that finished runners-up in the 1968 Euros. Had a big run as Strum Graz manager in the late 90s as well.

Ivica Osim gets a guardian obit. 

Leo Wilden, a part of the West Germany squad at the 1962 World Cup but didn't play a minute has died aged 82.

He played more than 180 games for FC Köln between 1958 and 1966 before moving to Bayer Leverkusen for three years before finishing his career with St. Truiden in Belgium in 1969.

https://fc.de/fc-info/news/detailseite/details/der-fc-trauert-um-leo-wilden/

He won two German titles with Köln- including the inaugural Bundesliga in 1963/4.

• Like 2

Marco Cornez, backup goalie for the chilean squad at Spain 1982 dead at 63 from stomach cancer

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 17:35, Octopus of Odstock said:

I looked into this and the editor is a Swiss personage who has edited other footballer Wikis. But there's nothing in any Serbian media and as he was also an international coach, I would have been surprised if nothing was noted at any point. 2011 could well be true but I can't find anything.

These days I tend to err on alive until proved dead even if most of the pre 1930 footballers and some of the South American footballers from 1958 are likely gone.

Do you this is a credible source?

https://www.kicker.de/radivoje-ognjanovic/spieler.amp

Wendell, the backup goalkeeper for Brazil at the 1974 World Cup, is dead aged 74.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarcJWallace said:

Wendell, the backup goalkeeper for Brazil at the 1974 World Cup, is dead aged 74.

His only worries were sickness and an occasional harassment by the police and their chase.