Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

3 hours ago, diego said:

captain of the team that won the champions' cup in 96, the only one since 79 who died

Gaetano Scirea, captain of the Juventus winning side in 1985, died in 1989 in a car crash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diego said:

I really admire your work here, I love your posts, I'm sad that I'm so annoying to you
I didn't understand your question, maybe because I'm not from your country or your continent, I don't know what this scale is about, sorry, if you can provide some source so I can research it, I'd appreciate it

It was a joke but never mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Gaetano Scirea, capitão do time vencedor da Juventus em 1985, morreu em 1989 em um acidente de carro.

It's true, thanks for remembering.

8 minutos atrás, Ulitzer95 disse:

Foi uma piada, mas não importa.

Okey

2 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Poço @Spade_Cooley dará mais um passo em direção a um título de DDP quando o QO chegar. Triste notícia, grande pequeno jogador

He also participated in the 1972 Olympics, the tenth to die on the Brazilian team (he wore the 10 and 20 participated, including the coach), the 1978 cup is the eighth to die (dressed at 20 and there were 23 participants), he wore the same shirt in the cup of 82 and is the fifth to die in that team. He is the top scorer in the history of Serie A of the Brazilian Championship, with 190 goals. Vasco idol, played for Barcelona too

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well, @Spade_Cooley will take another step towards a DDP title when the QO comes. Sad news, great little player

He was 6ft 1!

These seems very Football Cliches, is there a height limit on being a "great little player"?

1 hour ago, diego said:

Ele também participou das Olimpíadas de 72, o décimo a morrer da seleção brasileira (vestiu os 10 e 20 participaram, inclusive treinador), a taça de 78 é a oitava a morrer (vestido aos 20 e foram 23 participantes), vestiu a mesma camisa na taça de 82 e é o quinto a morrer naquela equipe. É o artilheiro da história da Série A do Campeonato Brasileiro, com 190 gols. Ídolo do Vasco,jogou pelo Barcelona também

@drol and @Ulitzer95 Is there a problem with the information?

i didn't understand the reactions:(

Are we not all little and tiny as against the great majesty of the Universe? :lol:

9 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

These seems very Football Cliches, is there a height limit on being a "great little player"?

Maradona, with 1,65 m, may be the « greatest shortest player » ever !

49 minutes ago, diego said:

@drol and @Ulitzer95 Is there a problem with the information?

i didn't understand the reactions:(

You didn't translate it from Portugese to English so most of us here can't read it without pulling it through google translate :lol:

• Haha 1

oh,sorry:lol:

8 minutes ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

You didn't translate it from Portugese to English so most of us here can't read it without pulling it through google translate :lol:

I edited it,thanks for the warning,I did not realize

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

A positive dwarf compared to Ed de Goey.

Great name for a footballer though in the age when Brazillian players had names like Zico and Socrates rather than Fred.

I'm referring to Roberto Dinamite and not Ed de Goey even though that's a great name too!

21 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Ferenc Mészáros , goleiro húngaro durante as Copas do Mundo de 1978 e 1982,  morreu aos 72 anos.

In the 78 cup he wore shirt number 21 and is the 10th to die, in the 82 cup he wore shirt number 1 and is the 4th to die

32 minutes ago, diego said:

In the 78 cup he wore shirt number 21 and is the 10th to die, in the 82 cup he wore shirt number 1 and is the 4th to die

This information is truly not interesting or necessary for every footballer death posted on this site. Just saying.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

On 08/01/2023 at 17:10, Spade_Cooley said:

Bizarrely, there is a discussion of this in the latest Football Cliches, as to whether or not an NBA professional can be a "lovely little player".

On 18/12/2022 at 00:00, Octopus of Odstock said:

No, only 2 left. I mean, in theory, you could count all the Bolivians but there's no proof they're alive.

Carbajal and Saguier. Hopefully, Carbajal, the first man to play in 5 World Cups will be the last man standing, it would be more apt I feel.

On Twitter, it was confirmed in the last year that Rojas died in the early 1980's,  whereas Walter Beerli definitely died in 1995, as per:

https://www.e-newspaperarchives.ch/?a=d&d=BTB19951230-01.2.44.1&srpos=3&e=-------de-20--1-byDA.rev-txt-txIN-"walter+beerli"-------0-----

@Ulitzer95, would you be so good to do your Wikipedia thing for Beerli to officially 'kill' him off ? There's quite a few round-up of deaths that year.

Rey... there's absolutely nothing to confirm he's still alive. Of course, he could be but.. very, very doubtful. Likewise, Zlatkovic, although I've found something in Serbian which suggests he might be gone as it's in past tense... but that could just be translation.

Dario Jara Saguier dead at 92.

Carbajal is now the last man standing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, drol said:

Dario Jara Saguier dead at 92.

Carbajal is now the last man standing.

I see that the article has Munoz alive, but it does 100 per cent confirm all the Paraguayans are dead.

In World Cup terms, this is actually quite a seismic death. Just one survivor of the 1950 World Cup, albeit 73 years on. How fitting it should be the first man to play in 5 World Cups and not some Bolivian centre half who played in one game.

It says Saguier's age was 93 in the article, not 92.

• Like 1