Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

On 20/04/2023 at 13:48, Thatcher said:

Josep Maria Fusté who played for Spain at the 1966 World Cup has died aged 82. He played for FC Barcelona from 1958-1972, including serving as Captain. He played for the winning Spanish team at the 1964 European Championship.

8 of that 1964 winning squad remain alive,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

19            MF            Josp Maria Fuste     15 April 1941 (aged 25) 

Update after Sarnari’s death

You forgot Josep Fuste

• Thanks 1

On 18/06/2021 at 19:48, Grim Up North said:

Not seen Graeme Souness for a long time but he looks ill to me.

Also either he’s lost some weight or someone didn’t have anywhere near his collar size in the wardrobe dept.

Anyone reading anything into him retiring as a pundit with only six games of the season left? Seems odd to step down now rather than just hold on for a month...

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Anyone reading anything into him retiring as a pundit with only six games of the season left? Seems odd to step down now rather than just hold on for a month...

Cheaper holidays now than six weeks innit?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Perhaps he wanted to leave after a Super Sunday match at Anfield? Liverpool don’t have a Sunday home match left. 
Liverpool v Brentford is the last confirmed broadcast from Anfield next week and is not as a glamours as Liverpool V Spurs. 

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Nah. He didn't  necessarily do every Super Sunday since he was with them if I'm not mistaken and as said above probably felt it fitting to bow out at Anfield

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Perhaps he wanted to leave after a Super Sunday match at Anfield? Liverpool don’t have a Sunday home match left. 
Liverpool v Brentford is the last confirmed broadcast from Anfield next week and is not as a glamours as Liverpool V Spurs. 

Also he played for both Liverpool and Spurs so that might be part of the reason. 

• Like 1

Update of the 1966 list 

1966 – 139 survivors

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2022 at 22:21, YoungWillz said:

Thanks for the updated lists Sinbabad but Meszoly was reported at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Thanks for the updated lists Sinbabad but Meszoly was reported at the time. 

Ok thanks I was misleading : I saw his name on the last 1966 update, so I thought his death had not been posted yet. I actually erase his name on the list.

By the way, shall I erase Nelson Lopez (the Argentinian) from 1966 list ?

Whoismakoto had found a post suggested that he is dead, but with no sources

2 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

Ok thanks I was misleading : I saw his name on the last 1966 update, so I thought his death had not been posted yet. I actually erase his name on the list.

By the way, shall I erase Nelson Lopez (the Argentinian) from 1966 list ?

Whoismakoto had found a post suggested that he is dead, but with no sources

Fwiw, I've removed Lopez from my list. It was only when cross referencing the list above that I realised Maszoly was already removed which led me back to Youngwillz post. 

Informations about Eladio a Spanish player from 1966 :

I found this article  from Marca. The layout suggests an obit. At the end of the article it says « se iba » I translate it using Google it said that it means « he was »

But iba is the past form of ir which means to go. Also, irse is also a synonym of to die. In french we have the same kind of expression to say « he dies » : « il s’en est allé » (meaning he went out)

This article is from November 2017. I couldn’t find any other source. I checked the November 2017 pages (the 15th and and 16th) of this thread, I couldn’t find any info.

I also checked the last update of 1966 list before mine, made by Diego and Eladio was still in it.

What you guys think ?

Is there a Spanish user who can help me out ?

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Sinbabad said:

I found this article  from Marca. The layout suggests an obit. At the end of the article it says « se iba » I translate it using Google it said that it means « he was »

But iba is the past form of ir which means to go. Also, irse is also a synonym of to die. In french we have the same kind of expression to say « he dies » : « il s’en est allé » (meaning he went out)

This article is from November 2017. I couldn’t find any other source. I checked the November 2017 pages (the 15th and and 16th) of this thread, I couldn’t find any info.

I also checked the last update of 1966 list before mine, made by Diego and Eladio was still in it.

What you guys think ?

A lot of very significant posts today. Must have been an eventful day.

The article refers to him leaving football. There's no whatsoever implication he's dead.

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks. Since the article is from 2017 and he retired decades ago, I had not understood that.

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

What you guys think ?

Is alive.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Had to pick this one out of the net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXXL36EmJg

Thanks for the info, YoungWillz

Now I wonder when the last one from 1954 will die : 1 year, 2 years, more ?

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sinbabad said:

Thanks for the info, YoungWillz

No problem, off to watch Eurovish. ;)

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

First player to play in 5 World Cups and the last survivor of 1950, a true World Cup legend even though he actually conceded a lot of goals.

Sad news, but 93 is a fine age to get to.

• Like 3

So the last surviving player from 1950 has died 73 years after the competition.

That is less than his previous « predecessors » : Francisco Varallo died 80 years after the 1930 World Cup

René Llense died 80 years after the 1934 WC and 76 years after the 1938 WC.

Since the life expectancy grows with the years, that should be the opposite !

• Like 2

I believe that the last survivor of 1954 World Cup will be from Turkey. I pick Coskun Tas

2 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

I believe that the last survivor of 1954 World Cup will be from Turkey. I pick Coskun Tas

Well he is the « younger » of the survivors. And according to his Facebook account, he seems in a prettty good shape 

• Like 1

Ferran Olivella, who was an unused substitute for Spain at the 1966 World Cup, has died aged 86.

He was also part of the Spanish squad that won Euro 1964, playing the semi-finals and final on home soil. It was the first honour for Spain.

• Like 1