Octopus of Odstock

FIFA World Cup Players

Ronnie Hellstrom dead at 72.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nikolai Manoshin, a member of the USSR squad for the 1962 World Cup - but didn't play a game - has died aged 83.

https://rfs.ru/news/215256

He played plenty for Torpedo Moscow and then CSKA Moscow before embarking on a nomadic managerial career which saw him manage Somalia, Yemen and Mali while juggling numerous roles over the years at CSKA Moscow.

He had eight caps for the USSR.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 13:03, whoismakoto said:

I've listed living footballers who played in 1970 World Cup. If a living player is missing, it means the player has played in a previous World Cup

Giuseppe Furino

Furino in a serious condition after cerebral hemorrhage, but not in danger of life.

He has been going downhill since he caught COVID in March and his wife died from it.

• Like 1

For yet another footballer in serious conditions, here's Chile legend Leonel Sanchez hospitalised with COVID and apparently many other issues.

• Sad 2

On 04/12/2021 at 15:50, Octopus of Odstock said:

Not quite: Here's the complete list:

(Walter Beerli is one of those from 1950 who I can't prove is dead but I doubt is alive)

France
No.......Pos.......Player...........................DoB/Age
2........1GK.......Dominique Colonna......(1928-09-04)4 September 1928 (aged 29)
3........1GK.......François Remetter........(1928-08-08)8 August 1928 (aged 29)
7........2DF.......Robert Mouynet.............(1930-03-25)25 March 1930 (aged 28)
8........3MF.......Bernard Chiarelli............(1934-02-24)24 February 1934 (aged 24)
17......4FW.....Just Fontaine...................(1933-07-18)18 July 1933 (aged 24)
22......4FW.....Maryan Wisnieski.............(1937-02-01)1 February 1937 (aged 21)

Maryan Wisniewski (mis-spelt above) reportedly dead aged 85: https://www-lequipe-fr.translate.goog/Football/Actualites/Maryan-wisniewski-demi-finaliste-de-la-coupe-du-monde-1958-avec-la-france-est-mort/1320187?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

• Like 1

Tomás Boy, who captained Mexico's 1986 World Cup squad and coached numerous Liga MX sides after a lengthy playing career with Tigres UANL, has died at age 70.

The Mexican national team tweeted the news on Tuesday but did not reveal the cause of Boy's death. He had been admitted to a Mexico City hospital for pulmonary thromboembolism earlier this week.

SC

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Justice Christopher, who played in all three of Nigeria's "Group of Death" matches at the 2002 World Cup, is dead. Apparently he was 40, but being as he first retired from football "aged" 25, I think this might be classic Nigerian accounting.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Justice Christopher, who played in all three of Nigeria's "Group of Death" matches at the 2002 World Cup, is dead. Apparently he was 40, but being as he first retired from football "aged" 25, I think this might be classic Nigerian accounting.

Well he didn’t look 20 at the 2022 World Cup. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Well he didn’t look 20 at the 2022 World Cup. 

Well considering it's not starting for another 8 months, he won't be looking good at all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Well considering it's not starting for another 8 months, he won't be looking good at all

Lol.

I meant the 2002 World Cup. 

14 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Tomás Boy, who captained Mexico's 1986 World Cup squad and coached numerous Liga MX sides after a lengthy playing career with Tigres UANL, has died at age 70.

The Mexican national team tweeted the news on Tuesday but did not reveal the cause of Boy's death. He had been admitted to a Mexico City hospital for pulmonary thromboembolism earlier this week.

SC

Boyz II Men II Dead

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Imelda said:

Boyz II Men II Dead

I applaud the effort.  Everyone’s so gdamn lame around here.

German WC champion of 1974, Jürgen Grabowski, has died at 77:

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/fussball-weltmeister-von-1974-juergen-grabowski-ist-tot-a-e50500ee-daa8-4bf6-94c4-323f39a173d7

Unknown reason so far, but he was on dialysis in recent years. 

He also was a long-time member of Eintracht Frankfurt and won the UEFA Cup in 1980 with them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

German WC champion of 1974, Jürgen Grabowski, has died at 77:

https://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/fussball-weltmeister-von-1974-juergen-grabowski-ist-tot-a-e50500ee-daa8-4bf6-94c4-323f39a173d7

Unknown reason so far, but he was on dialysis in recent years. 

He also was a long-time member of Eintracht Frankfurt and won the UEFA Cup in 1980 with them.

And the Boys of 66 squad pull one back of the German squad

On 04/12/2021 at 07:37, Octopus of Odstock said:

A bit of research has found Marcel Mauron, thought to be the last Swiss survivor, died in 1998. (I've updated Wikipedia). Looks like Park Jae-Seung died in 2015, so he was the last Korean survivor.

Saw that someone got a fan mail from Gilbert Fesselet on 8 November 2021. That would mean he might the only living Swiss player left for 1954.

• Like 1

Days removed from the passing of Naci Erdem, another member of the Turkey squad from the 1954 World Cup has died.

Ridvan Bolatli was 93 and spent the entirety of his career at his hometown club Ankaragucu, picking up six caps for Turkey.

https://raillynews.com/2022/03/eski-milli-futbolcu-ridvan-bolatli-hayatini-kaybetti/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 14/11/2014 at 21:56, Guest LameGuestDude said:

2. Tan Hong Djien- The exact same two websites were again the most secure results, and both say that he's alive too. He isn't 100 yet, so there's a bigger chance that he's alive that the chance for Anwar.

Of note, Tan Hong Djien, having featured in all nine competitive internationals the Dutch East Indies ever played, has the record for 100% participation in any national team's fixtures. I'm pretty sure he's dead though.

• Like 1

On 23/12/2021 at 17:53, TheSpinosaurus said:

Just seen it your list, a very interesting list you got there and I did some scouting to find more information some on these players and found some stuff that needs to be updated.

Omar Mendez (Uruguay 1954 and 1962) are the same person born on August 7, 1934.

Zoltan Friedmanzsky (Hungary 1958) did an interview in 2014 for a local news channel and this is the video, unfortunately everything is in Hungarian but it's proof that as of 2014 he is still alive. And his birthdate on October 22, 1934 according to his page on Hungary's Wikipedia though it's pretty unreliable.

Adolf Scherer (Czechoslovakia 1958) has done an interview on a Slovakian news site just a few days ago, unfortunately the article is paywalled but from whatever I could see he seems to be doing well and he lives in France (though I have no idea for how long he has been there).

Braulio Musso (Chile 1962) is mentioned on your list having a birthdate May 24, 1937 but his wikipedia page shows a birthdate of March 8, 1930 and it claims he played from Universidad de Chile from 1951 to 1968 but not just that, some more searching and I find that Braulio Musso has a Facebook Page which he is definitely involved in, and you will find all his posts are about his football days and though he has only shown photos dating back to 1955, he mentions in one post that he played for Universidad de Chile at the age of 21 and that makes the 1930 birth year make more sense because even if he debuted for his club in 1955 he would still be 17/18 with a 1937 birth year.

Zoltan Friedmanzsky dead according to Hungarian source https://m4sport.hu/magyar-foci/cikk/2022/03/31/elhunyt-friedmanszky-zoltan-a-ferencvaros-korabbi-labdarugoja-es-edzoje/

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 23:50, Octopus of Odstock said:

No.......Pos.......Player...........................DoB/Age
19......4FW.....Radivoje Ognjanović.......(1933-07-01)1 July 1933 (aged 24)

English wiki says he passed away on 30 August 2011. No reference found or mentioned.

• Thanks 1

Luis Ramos, Uruguayan player from 1966 World Cup who is probably more known for his 2 daughters who are both professional models and passed away due to anorexia, is said to have passed away on March 14, 2021 due to Covid-19. Only report I found is this

https://www.balonazos.com/fallecio-el-mundialista-uruguayo-luis-ramos-quien-fuera-jugador-de-estudiantes-de-merida/

Wiki and Uruguayan Football Association has not yet declared him dead yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1