Sign in to follow this  
Stayin Alive

Mel Smith

Definite Level 2 gutted about this. Here he is as Jumbo Whiffy...

Somebody please post the ntnon darts......rip :(

• Like 2

Anyone remember this one? Not particularly Mel-Smithy, but a hilarious slice of Not the Nine O'Clock News nonetheless.

The 3 sketches that stick in my mind are..

Darts.

The rascist copper.

Gerald the gorilla.

Plus the song 'i like trucking'.

Ashamed over paying at the fliks over "morons" .

Guest Guest

I am deeply shocked and saddened by this news.Grew up laughing my head off at Mel Smith on the 9 oclock News. Hadn't seen him for a while though so maybe he was ill for a while? This is the biggest loss to comedy since Eric Morecambes sudden death probably. Condolences to his friends and family

The way the news and LB are talking he has been ill for a while , did he have an illness?

The way the news and LB are talking he has been ill for a while , did he have an illness?

I think he just had general poor health. Fat, horribly addicted to pills for a time in the mid or late 90s (terrible for the heart), lifelong drinker and tons of late nights according to stuff I've read so far. Gout also.

He looked terrible on Celebrity Mastermind last year. Put him on my longlist as a result but didn't put him in my main team

The 3 sketches that stick in my mind are..

Darts.

The rascist copper.

Gerald the gorilla.

Plus the song 'i like trucking'.

Ashamed over paying at the fliks over "morons" .

He didn't appear in the racist copper sketch, it was just Griff Rhys Jones and Rowan Atkinson

Don't forget that he was the voice of Raymond Briggs' Father Christmas. That and he also did a Christmas song IIRC with Kim Wilde

Don't forget that he was the voice of Raymond Briggs' Father Christmas. That and he also did a Christmas song IIRC with Kim Wilde

Thus both "Mels" from both "Mel and Kims" are now dead.

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
New Mel Smith thread merged with old one.
  • Like 1

He was also the Albino in The Princess Bride.

I wasn't that old when NTNOCN was on Dutch tv, but "nice video, shame about the song" I do remember.

• Like 1

Thus both "Mels" from both "Mel and Kims" are now dead.

Well done DDT. I couldn't find the original thread, although I was certain there was one.

There are two Mel Smith sketches that I really love the first one is the NTNOCN Hi-Fi shop sketch which theorectically should be dated by to any person who has been confronted with a smug know it all in a computer or phone shop it will still have resonance.

The other is from Alas Smith and Jones and is a spoof game show BIGOTRY with Tony Slattery as the host.

I think it is sad but as has been said - with hindsight not a surprise.

I think it's been hinted that he may have been a bit of a boozer, particularly towards the end. But let's face it, if you went back twenty years and asked someone who would cop it first, Smith or Jones, then the overwhelming answer would have been Mel...

Maybe he got worried that Rowan Atkinson would beat him too it after the car crash last year.

Zoopla estimate his north London home as being worth £6,917,410 so I expect the inheritance taxman is rubbing his hands.