'Pro Life' (whatever) is bigotry?  This thread just spun out of control.

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

'Pro Life' (whatever) is bigotry?  This thread just spun out of control.

Read the post before yours.

E0CAC3BF-3B37-4CC1-ADC5-E44577FDC2D6.jpeg

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

When you look at the definition of the word Bigot it could apply to anyone.

Explain.

3 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Explain.

Shut up bigot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Oxford English Dictionary:

bigot,  n.

1. A religious hypocrite; (also) a superstitious adherent of religion. Obsolete.

a. A person considered to adhere unreasonably or obstinately to a particular religious belief, practice, etc.

b. In extended use: a fanatical adherent or believer; a person characterized by obstinate, intolerant, or strongly partisan beliefs.

• Like 1

Whenever somone says a person was bigoted I always think of them being skewered by the mad OSS/CIA captive piston dart thing for the 1911 pistol .

FB_IMG_1613679451733.jpg

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Oxford English Dictionary:

bigot,  n.

1. A religious hypocrite; (also) a superstitious adherent of religion. Obsolete.

a. A person considered to adhere unreasonably or obstinately to a particular religious belief, practice, etc.

b. In extended use: a fanatical adherent or believer; a person characterized by obstinate, intolerant, or strongly partisan beliefs.

Put Bigot into Google and you get this..... it's not about religion 

bigot
/ˈbɪɡət/

noun
noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots
  1. a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

25 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

bigot
/ˈbɪɡət/

noun
noun: bigot; plural noun: bigots
  1. a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Okay, so working with this definition and bearing the second part of it in mind, explain how you could call anyone a bigot (rather than just, y’know, actual bigots).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocinante said:

That's the original meaning of the word, which can still apply.

Look at definition 2b.  That covers the more general usage.

13 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Okay, so working with this definition and bearing the second part of it in mind, explain how you could call anyone a bigot (rather than just, y’know, actual bigots).

Just read the words. Everyone belongs to a group or faction. Male - Female - trans or left - right - centrist. By that definition you can be called a bigot by an opposing faction for example if you stir your coffee anti clockwise. 

• Facepalm 3

2 hours ago, Rocinante said:

Just read the words. Everyone belongs to a group or faction. Male - Female - trans or left - right - centrist. By that definition you can be called a bigot by an opposing faction for example if you stir your coffee anti clockwise. 

That is absolute tripe. I advise you to read the words again.

Let’s use your example of naming genders as “factions”. I’m male. I’m not unreasonably attached to that, it’s just a fact, in the senses of both biology and self-identification. And me belonging to the male “faction” does not mean I am prejudiced against or antagonistic towards other genders; that is bigotry. Bigotry isn’t inherent in being part of one “faction”. Bigotry is being utterly intolerant of and prejudiced against other ones.

• Like 1

Image result for huge hotdog

This is a bigot, dog.

The argument all rests around the definition of reasonable/unreasonable and prejudiced/unbiased surely? Which is presumably why 'reasonable' is written into so many laws, so they can spend days attacking each other over whether it was or wasn't  in court. It's a good living for some.

Anyone can belong to a group. I belong to the group that thinks the KKK is an extremely unpleasant organisation. Most folks see that as reasonable, objective and unbiased. I suppose some don't and would call me bigoted. I can live with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m male.

Fascist!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Fascist!

Cue new idiot interpreting the definition of fascism to mean that every fucker is one.

5 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Cue new idiot interpreting the definition of fascism to mean that every fucker is one.

Which is exactly my point

Just now, Rocinante said:

Which is exactly my point

What is?

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

I’m male. 

You can't talk about biology and gender self identification without antagonizing someone. Bigot. :P

2 minutes ago, Rocinante said:

You can't talk about biology and gender self identification without antagonizing someone. Bigot. :P

That is a complete lapse in logic. What a dickhead*.

*Not to be confused with bigotry; someone else having the intelligence of an onion does not make the people who recognise this bigots.

• Like 1

When someone tries to redefine a word it’s only because they are uncomfortable with its present meaning, quite consciously as it applies to them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

That is a complete lapse in logic. What a dickhead*.

*Not to be confused with bigotry; someone else having the intelligence of an onion does not make the people who recognise this bigots.

So do you think biology dictates gender?