Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

What Kind Of Person Deadpools?

15 yes, 5 no.

Those who deadpool are:

1) introverts - in spades

2) cat people - cats, dogs, chinchillas, horses, rabbits, snakes...

3) intelligent - I am a fucking genius.

4) like using the internet - yes

5) self-proclaimed geeks - they pay me to be a geek.

6) have OCD, or are at least are somewhat perfectionist - no OCD, but I am a 50% perfectionist

7) non-religious - atheist

8) like lists - yup

9) interested in politics - until this year, yes.

10) interested in music and Hollywood, especially old-time music and Hollywood - couldn't care less about Hollywood, but I am a trained singer.

• Like 3

Not so much an interest in celebrity culture as an interest in post-celebrity culture. If you find the fact that Frankie Lymon and Bobby Driscoll died within a month of each other worthy of note, then you'll probably find comfort in this hobby.

Exactly. The interplay/collisionof history and culture those who make up the world we live in and go totally unnoticed, here's their 15 minutes. I don't care so much about Rickman or Bowie or Castro dying. But give me a good story about some Kraut who invented the hoola-hoop and I'm fascinated. I can't tell you the top celebs year after year but I recall vividly reading about some guy in Minnesota who invented the bundt cake and some guy in a NYC highrise that somehow had one of the world's great collections of exotic turtles, and his children didn't know what to do with them now.... both died around 2003. I live for those.

When you find yourself putting together a 'coincidental deaths' database cuz you are notincing the syncronicities in the obits, well maybe you belong here.

As for what type of person deadpools: 53, 5''-11", 205, white, balding old punk rocker, father of one, with degrees in Geology, Library Science and Law.

SC

Not so much an interest in celebrity culture as an interest in post-celebrity culture. If you find the fact that Frankie Lymon and Bobby Driscoll died within a month of each ?other worthy of note, then you'll probably find comfort in this hobby.

Yes we are discussing people long after their 15 minutes are up.

No no NO! This IS their 15 minutes! Ah well, read my post above.

But even big stars, you read the obits and typically learn things--cheap trivia you can pontificate.

SC

When some people go to museums they want to see grandiose paintings of world leaders and dukes fighting in heroic wars, I prefer those little booths where you press a button and you get some old dear talking about what it was like when the first post office opened in Redbridge.

• Like 4

I know what you mean, Spade. I'm quite fond of old architecture, especially that which daft council people had torn down to build office blocks. Anyhow, one I am quite fond of in Glasgow City Centre, had the misfortune of being demolished before I was born. There's very few pics of it, and my parents didn't remember it. Finally, I asked Gran one day about it. "Yeah, I remember it", she said, "Their sandwiches were awful! And overpriced!" You've never going to get that sort of day to day recalled disdain from the history books.

Need to find my copy of Studs Terkel's stuff.

• Like 1

Although that said, lots of distortion here, but you can just about hear the voice of Helmuth von Moltke, Prussian Army Chief of Staff during the Austro-Prussian War! He died in 1891! "Bringing a long dead voice back from the grave" indeed. There's also Tennyson with creepy CGI (version used in the uni was strictly audio), and one out there of Robert Browning, best bit being where he says he can't remember his own poetry.

And the channel with the Von Moltke recording also contains the music for a number of "Oh No, More Lemmings" levels on the Commodore Amiga. Guy who runs that a real renaissance man.

• Like 1

Even Jane Austen allowed her characters a little bit of Deadpooling. This is from Chapter 3 of Mansfield Park

Tom listened with some shame and some sorrow; but escaping as quickly as possible, could soon with cheerful selfishness reflect, firstly, that he had not been half so much in debt as some of his friends; secondly, that his father had made a most tiresome piece of work of it; and, thirdly, that the future incumbent, whoever he might be, would, in all probability, die very soon.

On Mr. Norris’s death the presentation became the right of a Dr. Grant, who came consequently to reside at Mansfield; and on proving to be a hearty man of forty-five, seemed likely to disappoint Mr. Bertram’s calculations. But “no, he was a short-necked, apoplectic sort of fellow, and, plied well with good things, would soon pop off.”

• Like 4

A little bit of my reputation preceding me...

So I get this new night shift person out at the rig a week ago.  She is quite the anomaly: 25, educated (Oklahoma State Univ - geology), and extremely attractive.  (In fact my first question upon meeting her was 'what the HELL are you doing in the oil field?).  So I like her around lol.
OK let's stick to the subject matter.  So after a bit of chatting she says 'so I understand you follow dead people'... (that was a quote, but you know what she meant).  I chuckle a bit and say yes I track everyone on a daily basis (and talk about it with co-workers, who don't care at first but then find it quite interesting after a week or so).  To which she says 'me and some friends have a contest we pick a name or two and see if they die".  
So THAT'S the type of person who dead pools!
SC

• Like 3

There's a pub in Brighton (The Lion and Lobster I think?) that is well known locally for its celebrity death prediction contest: put a pound in the pot and if you predict the next death you win the entire kitty. I have never entered it because I just know I'd end up in an argument over what counts as a "celebrity" with the barman, and possibly glassed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There's a pub in Brighton (The Lion and Lobster I think?) that is well known locally for its celebrity death prediction contest: put a pound in the pot and if you predict the next death you win the entire kitty. I have never entered it because I just know I'd end up in an argument over what counts as a "celebrity" with the barman, and possibly glassed.

Wonder if someone there ever had the balls to pick Gord Downie then argue with the barman :D

You know, that actually reminds me of the time when someone created the Gord Downie thread and then Paul replied ­"Who the fuck is he?"

20 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

Wonder if someone there ever had the balls to pick Gord Downie then argue with the barman :D

You know, that actually reminds me of the time when someone created the Gord Downie thread and then Paul replied ­"Who the fuck is he?"

There's a whole world beside Gord Downie, man!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, drol said:

There's a whole world beside Gord Downie, man!

Yeah, a world possessed by the human mind!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 10:44, FixedBusiness said:

As in Canadian Paul?  If so that's rich.

No, as in Paul Bearer. He's Scottish, not Canadian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

No, as in Paul Bearer. He's Scottish, not Canadian.

Ahhh ok....well you can see why it was more of a stunner at first.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 13:50, Spade_Cooley said:

It's The Mash Tun that runs this; not that I frequent it (outside of my price range and full of knobs).

• Like 1