Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

A thread for people who have passed the age of 100 but have (very, very) faint claims to fame other than "just being old". The lifeblood of many a DDP theme team, really, may as well get them all in one place. Plus it gives me an excuse to have a regular meeting point for two of my favourites: 110-year-old paranormal investigator Alexander Imich and 107-year-old financier Irving Kahn, who apparently still goes to work daily. Check out his current stock portfolio here.

Anyway, so here's where we can rhapsodise about Run Run Shaw, Roy Douglas and Vo Nguyen Giap and the many public appearances they'll no doubt be making in the near future.

One of the leading actors of the pre-blaxploitation era cowboy "race movies", Herb Jeffries, just turned 100.

• Like 1

Anyway, so here's where we can rhapsodise about Run Run Shaw, Roy Douglas and Vo Nguyen Giap and the many public appearances they'll no doubt be making in the near future.

Ah, General Giap... I had 'im on my DDP team once or twice. That old soldier may be fading away, but he doesn't seem particularly keen on dying.

Besides, hardly worth points.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Giap was on my DDP shortlist for a bit last year cause he looked awful in that one picture released of him around his 101st birthday but dropped him because, like Hein said, he ain't worth jack.

Picture in question:

2s7tG4v.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, General Giap... I had 'im on my DDP team once or twice. That old soldier may be fading away, but he doesn't seem particularly keen on dying.

Besides, hardly worth points.

regards,

Hein

Worth HPDP points though and likely to be covered if only because cub reporters who cut their teeth on Vietnam are now in senior editorial positions. He's unfinished business to them.

• Like 1

Well this thread has certainly turned out to be a success.

Giap closed.

Well, I'll be dipped in dogshit...

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Guest Guest

The last couple of weeks has seen the death of quite a lot of famous centenarians actually. the following have died..Eji Toyoda, Jim Charlton, William Ungar, Ruth Patrick, Anthony Lawrence, John Calvert, Angeles Santos Torrida and Vo Gniyen Giap . That's just from this list http://en.wikipedia....ng_centenarians

Here are some 100+ year olds which I don't think I have seen discussed elsewhere but I think would have reasonable chances of getting an obit but are not really locks

Errie Ball(born 1910)- Golfer who competed at the 1st Masters Tournament in 1936

Bobbie Heine Miller(born 1909)- South African female tennis player who was 5 in the world in 1929.QF at Wimbledon and 2 SF appearances in mixed doubles.

Magda Olivero(born 1910)-Italian Soprano

Lionel Ferbos(born 1911)-Oldest Jazz Musician in New Orleans

Dieter Grau(born 1912)-Rocket scientist who worked on V-2 rockets during WW2

Ace Parker(born 1912)-Old living American football and baseball player. Is a football(NFL) Hall of Famer

• Like 1

Here are some 100+ year olds which I don't think I have seen discussed elsewhere but I think would have reasonable chances of getting an obit but are not really locks

Errie Ball(born 1910)- Golfer who competed at the 1st Masters Tournament in 1936

Bobbie Heine Miller(born 1909)- South African female tennis player who was 5 in the world in 1929.QF at Wimbledon and 2 SF appearances in mixed doubles.

Ace Parker(born 1912)-Old living American football and baseball player. Is a football(NFL) Hall of Famer

I would guess Ferbos and Grau would be certainties but the others would probably be dependent on it being a slow news week on the obituary pages.

• Like 1

Chemist Malcolm Renfrew who helped develop teflon has died at 103 http://www.latimes.c...0,6708745.story

There was never a stain on that mans reputation, I can tell you...

Or at least, they couldn't get anything to stick.

• Like 3

I'll bring up another 100+er who I'm surprised isn't a DDP pick, but should get an obit quite easily

Zhou Youguang (born 1906) - Simplified the Chinese language into Pinyin, and has received BBC coverage in the past

• Like 1

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:57 PM

Finally, there are lots of squabbles going on in Thailand at the moment about who will replace Supreme Patriarch Nyanasamvara Suvaddhana, 94, when he dies. He has been in hospital since 2004 and is believed to have been lingering between life and death for about six months.

He lingered for over 5 years and got to 100, but now perennial Banshees Scream pick Supreme Patriarch Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara Borommanaritsatammanitiphiban Ariyawongsakhatayanawimon Sakonlamahasangkhaparinayok Tripidokpariyattithada Wisutthachariyathisombat Suwatthanaphithanasangkhawisut Pawachanuttamaphisan Sukhumthammawithanthamrong Wachirayannawongsasiwat Phutthaborisat Kharawasathan Wibunsilacharawattrasunthon Bowonthammabophit Sapphakhanison Mahapathanathibodi Khamawasiaranyawasi Somdet Phra Sangkharat, as he was known to his mates, has headed off to the hereafter.

• Like 1

Guest Guest

Sorry.It won't happen again

On the ATP main page and on ESPN's page their is an article on Gardnar Mulloy who Friday became the first Tennis Hall Of Famer to make it to 100 years old. Looking at his record of winning Us Open and Wimbledon titles and being top 10 in singles and 1 in doubles probably is enough for him to get a pointsworthy obit when he passes.

• Like 2