Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 12/04/2017 at 13:06, Death Impends said:

On the topic of recent centenarian birthdays, one of my on-site deadpooling regulars, communist spy Morton Sobell, hit the grand three digits yesterday. Not on any DDP teams this year but his ties to the Rosenbergs guarantee an obit so he'd be a worthy recruit for any 2018 centenarian theme teams should he make it that far.

At long last, it's for whom Sobell tolls. Died in December though, so sod all for any current deadpools!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

At long last, it's for whom Sobell tolls. Died in December though, so sod all for any current deadpools!

All your usual standbys are dropping.

I fear that Ruthie Thompson and Chuck Yeagar might not see February.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2019 at 18:56, Death Impends said:

Feels like it's gonna be a brutal year for "big" centenarians ("big" meaning popular on forum). Arguably started very late in December with Overton and Lusk, and in the past week we've seen a forum legend and one of the few suitably DL-y centenarians to never appear on the front page go.

Might we clear up some bed-blockers on the main DL? Still, seems like the dominos are falling this year, you're right.

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Li Rui, onetime secretary to Mao Zedong and a frequent namecheck in drol's lists of immortals, dead at 101.

What a legend

5 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Li Rui, onetime secretary to Mao Zedong and a frequent namecheck in drol's lists of immortals, dead at 101.

FINALLY!!!

Li Rui was definitely a hero in a Country and epoch of villains. He chose to be on the side of the people against a repressive party and government. He had the balls to disagree with the Party about Tienanmen and paid much for this, like a few others (among them the late Zhao Ziyang). It's a pity a complete piece of rubbish like Song Ping survives him.

• Like 6

For those who have a keen interest in centenarinan Chinese figures, another one has passed.  Fang Huai, Major General of the Red Army and founder of the Peoples Republic of China, has died at age 102.

https://www.jqknews.com/news/141449-Founding_Major_General_Fang_Huai_died_at_the_age_of_102_There_are_still_13_founding_generals_left.html

While researching the final DDP pick photos, I came across this picture of never-going-to-obit German artist Helma Holthausen-Krull:

5398011_XXL.jpg?1541464448

She's in the middle. That photo was taken when she was allegedly 98. I don't think I've ever seen a 98-year-old in that fine fettle. She's now 102 but I can't see her going anywhere if that's her level.

Highly obitable Mr Ferlinghetti joins the club 24 March

Ferlinghetti.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Highly obitable Mr Ferlinghetti joins the club 24 March

Ferlinghetti.jpg

Happy Birthday, Mr. ferlinghetti, the last Beatnik! Welcome to the 100-Club :hatsoff:

• Like 1

Not too often you see a mercenary or a Beat poet join the 100 Club, let alone both in the same month!

Even though we're only in March, this year's already become more exciting than the last for new centenarians.

• Like 2

Xiong Zhaoren, major general in the PLA and one of the last founding officers of modern Chinese army, has died on April 7 aged 107. The guy looked this way in 2011!!

20120522173146_3032.jpg

104-year-old Norman Lloyd still healthy enough to attend the TCM Film Festival:

• Like 4

He’s looks real good for 104

I think Cardin, Doris Day & The Duke will all join the hundred club in the next few years. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2018 at 19:39, Sir Creep said:

Extremely popular pick around these parts, Mr. Joe Vento, FINALLY has some sort of update.
According to this publication's 'best photos of the week' section, Joe Vento, 100, was recognized as citizen of the month, during a city council meeting at Las Vegas City Hall in Las Vegas, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2018.
So he's alive and kicking in Vegas.  In a wheelchair though.
SC

DjhvdkOU0AUSuFi.jpg

Joe Vento recently became a "citizen of the month":

https://veterans.nv.gov/spotlight-focuses-on-beloved-long-time-vegas-musician-army-veteran-joe-vento/

Mentions of his declining health, but nothing about cancer.

Edit: Wait a second... that's the same story as posted above.... why does Google show it to me as an April 4th 2019 article?

• Haha 1

Spanish civil war veteran and journalist William Krehm has died at 105 

Very significant death. Last living person to have appeared in a film in the 1910s.

14 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Very significant death. Last living person to have appeared in a film in the 1910s.

Don Marion Davis has appeared in two 1919 movies.

• Like 1