Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Afro-American aviator Azellia White has died at 106. Obviously this is only an excuse to post a list of people born in 1913 after her and Feingold's deaths. There are no claimants (people like Fauja Singh or Saalumarada Thimmaka) for 1913, so here we go.

1)Carl J. Shapiro. American Jewish businessman who was a victim of Bernard Madoff. His wife Ruth Gordon died in 2012 and  daughter Rhonda Zinner in 2014

2)Toko Shinoda. Legendary Japanese painter, she is still giving interviews at 106, but her health has been frail for years.

3)Pappukutty Bhagavathar. Indian actor and playback singer, patriarch of a Malayalam cinema family. His last appearance dates back to 2016, has not been seen since then though he is said to be still well. Widower since 2017.

4)Arthur L. Thurlow. Canadian MLA, widower since 2006.

5)Vance Trimble. American  journalist who won a Pulitzer in 1960. Trimble has been shocked by the death of his wife in 1999 and has built a mausoleum for her.  Still in good health as of 2015.

6)G. Venkatasubbiah. Indian Kannada lexicographer. He went to vote in May and was still able to walk with a cane, but he was much thinner than usual, expecially his arms, which is never a good sign. Padma Shri recipient.

7)Boris Pahor. The great Slovenian writer, is well enough to give interviews, but did not manage to attend his 106th birthday party in late August.

8)Julie Gibson. American starlet with a prenoted grave in Idaho.

9)Mac Conner. American commercial illustrator. Still alive, if you have doubts. I had.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, drol said:

Afro-American aviator Azellia White has died at 106. Obviously this is only an excuse to post a list of people born in 1913 after her and Feingold's deaths. There are no claimants (people like Fauja Singh or Saalumarada Thimmaka) for 1913, so here we go.

1)Carl J. Shapiro. American Jewish businessman who was a victim of Bernard Madoff. His wife Ruth Gordon died in 2012 and  daughter Rhonda Zinner in 2014. 

2)Toko Shinoda. Legendary Japanese painter, she is still giving interviews at 106, but her health has been frail for years.

3)Pappukutty Bhagavathar. Indian actor and playback singer, patriarch of a Malayalam cinema family. His last appearance dates back to 2016, has not been seen since then though he is said to be still well. Widower since 2017.

4)Arthur L. Thurlow. Canadian MLA, widower since 2006.

5)Vance Trimble. American  journalist who won a Pulitzer in 1960. Trimble has been shocked by the death of his wife in 1999 and has built a mausoleum for her.  Still in good health as of 2015.

6)G. Venkatasubbiah. Indian Kannada lexicographer. He went to vote in May and was still able to walk with a cane, but he was much thinner than usual, expecially his arms, which is never a good sign. Padma Shri recipient.

7)Boris Pahor. The great Slovenian writer, is well enough to give interviews, but did not manage to attend his 106th birthday party in late August.

8)Julie Gibson. American starlet with a prenoted grave in Idaho.

9)Mac Conner. American commercial illustrator. Still alive, if you have doubts. I had.

Wikipedia has a list of over 200 'famous' centenarians and it just keeps on getting longer and longer ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_living_centenarians They say there'll be 8 times as many centenarians by 2050 than there is now ! (Assuming Donald Trump doesn't blow up the planet of course )

We have a new member in our 100 club. Happy Birthday to the great scientist and philosopher Mario Bunge who turn 100 today :birthday:

He is the author of more than 100 books, best recognized for his work "Treatise on Basic Philosophy", which was published across eight volumes from 1974 until 1989.

• Like 3

That indian actor pappukuty may have been born in 1919 not totally sure but still a centenarian either way

Greece’s Oldest Woman Celebrates Her 114th Birthday

Ekaterini “Katerina” Karnarou, considered to be the oldest woman in Greece, celebrated the milestone of her 114th birthday among family and friends on Saturday.

Kornarou was born in Grylos, a village on Greece’s Peloponnesian Peninsula, in 1905.

Before her birthday, we visited her home in the town of Krestena, where she lives today with her numerous family members, including hone great-great-grandchild.

Her life, which spans the entirety of Greece’s modern history, was not an easy one, by any measure. “I went through a lot of difficulties in my life, but I was in company of good people,” she says.

Katerina_Karnarou_Greek_supercentenarian

Katerina Karnarou was born on July 25th, 1905, according to official documents.

“In life, you don’t have a choice — when you have people that need you, you just keep going,” she explains.

Karnarou was initially rejected as a prospective bride by her husbands’ family, and a trick, which was commonly used in this days, was needed so that she could marry the man she loved.

“We had an amazing marriage; but he died young though, and I was left alone to raise our children,” she says, noting that her husband’s family finally did accept her, and support her.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2019/07/29/greeces-oldest-woman-celebrates-her-114th-birthday-video/
A video from 2018

She votes (May 2019)

Wrong thread, Donnie. 

On 31/08/2019 at 20:35, Ulitzer95 said:

Actress Helen Shingler joins the 100 club.

Also mother of actor Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slater, Little Britain).

Died today according to Wikipedia.

It is probably true.She looked less than well on her birthday:

EDNhfG0WkAAoyV2.jpeg

That photo has the vibe of a target successfully reached.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toast said:

That photo has the vibe of a target successfully reached.

Shingler’s family tweeting about her death here.

Basically confirming what you suggested, she put in her best effort to hang in to reach the milestone, knowing that she’d soon go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Shingler’s family tweeting about her death here.

Basically confirming what you suggested, she put in her best effort to hang in to reach the milestone, knowing that she’d soon go.

I remember a lady in my Grandads nursing home was 99 and determined to make 100 and said then she would be happy to go.She always said it was her last wish.She caught pneumonia a week before but recovered in time to celebrate her 100th in the homes dining room.Grandad died around that time but I heard a couple of years ago she was a month or two shy of 103 and still going.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sean said:

I remember a lady in my Grandads nursing home was 99 and determined to make 100 and said then she would be happy to go.She always said it was her last wish.She caught pneumonia a week before but recovered in time to celebrate her 100th in the homes dining room.Grandad died around that time but I heard a couple of years ago she was a month or two shy of 103 and still going.

Ah yes, Old Mother Tithonus, right.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 20:05, msc said:

What's left of 1918 in my notes:

1918 –Shinobu Hashimoto, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Martin Pope, Guje Lagerwall, Hutton Gibson, Jens Skou, Rene de Obaldia, Paul D Boyer, Fay McKenzie, Katherine Johnson, Lloyd Geering, Ivy Bethune, Brenda Milner, Henri Vernes, Louise Tobin, T. Berry Brazelton, Josephine Webb, Francis Nye, Chuck Stevens, Frank Lambert, Doris Grumbach, Paul Farnes, Diana Serra Cary, Arthur Brauner

Fascinating figures, all, yes, but none of them really jump out as massively exciting potential centenarians.

1919 currently has a Beat poet, a Twilight Zone alumnus, Lord Carrington, James Lovelock, Spencer/Mercier and Mad Mike Hoare as it stands.

Ivy Bethune apparently died unremarkably back in July, aged 101: http://westernboothill.blogspot.com/2019/10/rip-ivy-bethune.html

• Like 1

Welcome to the 100 Club Hal "Cornbread" Singer, jazz saxophonist and bandleader.

On 19/09/2019 at 15:05, Clorox Bleachman said:

Awrite, this is getting a touch out of hand...

Julie Gibson isn't dead. Being the oldest former Hollywood actress, enough people are keeping tabs on her that one of them would've noticed her death. I was able to reliably confirm with one of those people that she is very much alive.

Top notch grammar, anyway, this is the most recent public photo of her - from 2004.

5b90ce525b678.image.thumb.jpg.a6dce57e4e695ce7262abe6c79c4c8ea.jpg

Is it really that unheard-of for an elderly celebrity to stay out the spotlight? IMO it would be much weirder for the family to drag a 106yo back into it.

Julie Gibson is dead now though

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

:clivedunn:

Guilty as charged.Sorry ! 

Happy 108th Birthday to the world's oldest international cricketer, Eileen Ash!  (Bah I"m a day early, just beating Y-Dub to the post)
:party:  :birthday:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

There goes the last living actor from the golden age of Hollywood born before World War I