Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

18 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:
On 17/03/2020 at 04:21, Ulitzer95 said:

Alfred John Ellis, Canadian banker, dead at 104.

Apparantely he died at the end of January. How does it take so long for it to be reported ?! 

All his friends promised to tell the CBC right away, but he outlived them all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

my god they're all dying this year… +1 for my aodeadpool list 

quite crazy how centenarians are dropping like flies

• Like 2

Three names joined the 100 Club three days ago to replace him, though. Former Croatian PM Josip Manolić, Dame Fanny Waterman (founder of the Leeds International Piano Competition) and German conductor/oboist Helmut Winschermann. First two are guaranteed QOs, third should just about qualify.

• Like 4

Manolic didn't celebrate as he is deeply worried about both the pandemic and the earthquake that shocked Zagreb. He thinks he will have time later....

19 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Three names joined the 100 Club three days ago to replace him, though. Former Croatian PM Josip Manolić, Dame Fanny Waterman (founder of the Leeds International Piano Competition) and German conductor/oboist Helmut Winschermann. First two are guaranteed QOs, third should just about qualify.

And US politician and congressman Neal Edward Smith

• Like 2

On 25/03/2020 at 21:55, Spade_Cooley said:

I wonder if her Fanny is haunted

On 13/08/2019 at 20:50, drol said:

A quick list of Indian centenarians, or possible centenarians.

3)Fauja Singh (1911): I suspect he is a fraudster, probably 10/15 years younger. Still impressive.

Fauja Singh turns 109 today! :birthday:

He probably does not, but is one year older anyway.

• Like 1

So with the passing of Frankland, and ignoring "John McCain's mum", who is now the oldest 100% guaranteed QO? Anne Baker, James C Floyd or Normal Lloyd?

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So with the passing of Frankland, and ignoring "John McCain's mum", who is now the oldest 100% guaranteed QO? Anne Baker, James C Floyd or Normal Lloyd?

in france, surely Renée Simonot 

(btw fuuuuuck ! what is happening with all these centenarians ! there won't be one till the end of the year, it's pretty sad…) 

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Eileen Ash and Fauja Singh (both born 1911, but Singh's birth is dubious) will definitely both obit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

(btw fuuuuuck ! what is happening with all these centenarians ! there won't be one till the end of the year, it's pretty sad…) 

Don't know what makes you think this.

If you scroll through the Recent Deaths list on Wikipedia, in the last 30 days about a dozen centenarians that were on "our radars" have died.

However, the List of living centenarians page shows another dozen notable names celebrated their 100th birthday in the last 30 days.

There's no surplus in deaths. It's just your imagination.

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Don't know what makes you think this.

If you scroll through the Recent Deaths list on Wikipedia, in the last 30 days about a dozen centenarians that were on "our radars" have died.

However, the List of living centenarians page shows another dozen notable names celebrated their 100th birthday in the last 30 days.

There's no surplus in deaths. It's just your imagination.

I am not saying that there is a surplus in deaths, I am just saying that very "well-known centenarians" (at least here) died since the beginning of 2020 : last year there wasn't such notable centenarians who died so quickly I reckon. 

To summarize : Mad Mike Hoare, Kirk Douglas, Tao Porchon Lynch, Katherine Johnson, John Franzese, Diana Sera Carry (who all died the same day btw) Richard K Guy, John Maners, Anton Copolla, JVPC, Suzy Delair, Patil Putappa, Ignacio Trelles, Hau Pei Tsun, William Frankland and others, in 3 months. You can't say that this is not a pretty huge death amount for centenarians this year. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Notable Slovene writer Boris Pahor, 106 year old and best known for his autobiographical novel, Necropolis, which is narrated by a survivor of the Nazi concentration camps, would surely get an Obit.

He received the prestigious Preseren Award in 1992 and the BBC has made a documentary about his life through Nazi Germany: "The Man who Saw too much", definetely worth seeing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bqt9

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Eileen Ash and Fauja Singh (both born 1911, but Singh's birth is dubious) will definitely both obit.

Eileen Ash (nee Whelan) born 30 October 1911 is the oldest ever test cricketer (male or female). She rang the bell at Lords about 5 years ago to signal the start of play at a test match. Surely even coverage on the national news when her innings ends.

• Like 1

I assume you are all aware of the death of 108 year old British immunologist William Frankland, but I thought I would just note it  on this thread anyway https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2020/04/02/william-frankland-global-authority-treatment-allergies-obituary/

Edit- I see it was in fact allready mentioned in this thread. Must look more carefully in future ! Sorry.

• Like 1