Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Can't believe old Arthur has finally gone ! I had high hopes that he might become the longest lived politician in history ! 

Have there been any older ones?

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Have there been any older ones?

Yes. At least five.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes. At least five.

Ronald Atkins is a former British MP & 104 this year. A potential record breaker in the mould of John Manners (cricketer)?

21 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Ronald Atkins is a former British MP & 104 this year. A potential record breaker in the mould of John Manners (cricketer)?

God knows. I thought Bob Weighton would live to 115. It’s a game of roulette with centenarians.

Personally I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

God knows. I thought Bob Weighton would live to 115. It’s a game of roulette with centenarians.

Personally I just don’t see it.

I can't find it now years later because social media is ephemeral  but there was a lot of chatter when John Freeman died about losing the chance for another MP centenarian for a while on twitter as Atkins was ruled out as being too frail to reach 100!

And that was in 2014.

• Like 2

On 17/05/2020 at 13:50, drol said:

Dork in life and dorker in death. Anyway there's that Spanish source, so Hutton is explaining Holocaust denial in heaven right now; if it is not true they better deny it. Till then he is dead as a dead dog.

Hutton Gibson NYT obit

Family so asshole they didn't confirm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, drol said:

Hutton Gibson NYT obit

are you telling me he hasn’t received a QO?  If ever there was a celeb parent who would get one.... wow.  Just..... wow.  I guess Taylor Swift’s mum is OUT moving forward.

SC

Save me the “we didn’t know for sure if Hutton’s dead” there’s at least one paparazzi assigned to Mel Gibson at any time of Every day,   He either attended a funeral or he didn’t.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

are you telling me he hasn’t received a QO?  If ever there was a celeb parent who would get one.... wow.  Just..... wow.  I guess Taylor Swift’s mum is OUT moving forward.

SC

I reckon he will get a QO now that the NYT have picked it up. Journos are scared to jump the gun until they get confirmation, especially when it’s a death. Most media outlets probably picked up on the blogs and/or social media posts but as the article above says, the Gibsons didn’t respond to their attempts to reach out, the NYT had to look at the official records in California to get their answer.

13 hours ago, drol said:

Hutton Gibson NYT obit

I suspect they didn't want to have obits that rightly called out his anti-Semitism and general conspiracy bullshit out there that reminded the public of the dumpster fire that he was. Unfortunately, looks like there was enough of a lull in celeb deaths that the NYT obit staff had the time to sift through Cali death record for proof.

• Like 1

3 weeks before Clarissa Eden joins the 100 Club & follows Lady (Mary) Wilson into this distingished group. Has a 'celebrity' ever been a super centenarian? Eileen Ash & Roberta McCain must surely qualify if they manage to reach 110.

12 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

3 weeks before Clarissa Eden joins the 100 Club & follows Lady (Mary) Wilson into this distingished group. Has a 'celebrity' ever been a super centenarian? Eileen Ash & Roberta McCain must surely qualify if they manage to reach 110.

Leila Denmark, Shivakumara Swami, Qin Hanzhang, Zoltan Sarosy, Juliana Young Koo, Teresa Hsu... not household names, but quite notable.

• Like 1

Alexander Imich made it to world's oldest man with some degree of prior notability as well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

The definition of celebrity is rather looser to the commentators above than it could reasonably be interpreted to be in any other discussion.

If we assume 'celebrity' to mean a 'household name' or similar then no know celebrity has lived to 110. However there are some interest names that have got close.....

• Like 1

I still say Zhou Youguang is the most notable supercentenarian in terms of accomplishments pre-old age. He still wasn't someone you'd see on the red carpet, but simplifying the most frequently-used language in the world (and vastly increasing your homeland's literacy rate in the process) is quite a feat.

• Like 1

I think there's an argument for Olivia de Havilland actually being the most famous actor to reach her age. Mary Ellis got to 105 but was more known for being a stage actress (though a long career, started during WW1 and ended with a role in one of the last Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes adaptations). Federica Sagor Maas (from my DDP misses for 2012) was a fairly known person in the 1920s but had become obscure by her death nearly a century later aged 111.

• Like 1

Norman Lloyd is older than OdH and a famous actor indeed. Though Olivia de Havilland is a superstar and a dinosaur by all accounts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drol said:

Norman Lloyd is older than OdH and a famous actor indeed. Though Olivia de Havilland is a superstar and a dinosaur by all accounts.

Norman Lloyd will die soon.He should have been on the list, but I fear we will miss him :(