Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Imo the next centenarians are Betty White and Pierre Cardin ! Maybe Phil too but I wouldn’t be surprised if he dies just before or after his 100th birthday...

The question is which cents should go on next year's list because Dame Olivia was the last of them.I nominate the likes of Norman Lloyd and Ronald Atkins,if they make it to next year that is!There are still lots of famous centenarians!

• Like 1

Prince Philip would be an obvious choice.

Or Tom Moore, depite being a recent celebrity.

And Hans Albert, there where so few philosophers represented.

50 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

The question is which cents should go on next year's list because Dame Olivia was the last of them.I nominate the likes of Norman Lloyd and Ronald Atkins,if they make it to next year that is!There are still lots of famous centenarians!

One obvious choice: Clarissa Eden.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Must the list be densely populated with centenarians? Boring, obvious choices picked solely for their age suck the spirit out of the game.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Must the list be densely populated with centenarians? Boring, obvious choices picked solely for their age suck the spirit out of the game.

Just what I was going to say.

Lazy choices that often don't earn their spot, given the lengthy tenure of several recent persons.

55 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The way I look at it is "if they were 20 years younger and announced hospice care tomorrow, would they make the list?". And from that,  James Lovelock, Clarissa Eden, June Spencer off the Archers,  and maybe Beverly Cleary at a push (I've got her kids books, she's a mega star next to Bill Gates's dad, but she was far more famous in the US), Beat poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti or cult TV actor Nehemiah Persoff might make it. But that's 3 names off the dozens we see mentioned on here on a regular basis, and maybe 6 if I'm being charitable. Because fuck knows after Bill Gates dad.

Boris Pahor, Renee Simonot, Norman Lloyd, Benjamin Ferencz, Hal Singer etc are notable but feels more of a chin stroking Guardian/Telegraph obit pick that is always welcome on the DDP than DL names.

I think most of us think the Cmme will jump on Sir Captain Tom Moore given half the chance (ooer), and from the notable ancient but not 100 yet squad Aaron Beck (creator of CBT therapy), Glynis Johns and astronaut Chuck Yeager strike me as having DL potential, but I think they'll start looking at that mass of names in the 1928-31 period soon instead of picking up B listers still standing from the 1910-22 period. IMO.

• Like 1

Yep @msc, popularity does come into it as ever. Which is subjective, so of course it’ll rarely be without controversy. I’d be alright with Tom Moore, personally. Boris Pahor though, for example, can get to fuck. People will disagree with this. Oh well.

Having said all that, I’ve an idea percolating for a new DP that touches on age and popularity, I’ll show it to a couple of people soon so any holes can be picked in it :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

As Olivia de Havilland did for eleven years in a row.

I don’t think the committee should actively sought out centenarians to “replace” the ones that have died this year. None of them were centenarians when they first appeared and were ~5 years into their deathlist careers before they turned 100, where at that point they were on until they drop anyway. 

The centenarians that I’d be happy with debuting on the list are Clarissa Eden and chart-topping popstar Tom Moore, but not necessarily to replace the ones that karked this year. 

• Like 1

Few people actually entered the list for the first time as centenarians, so I imagine this discussion wouldn’t matter much in the long run. Two exceptions in recent years though are David Rockefeller in 2017 and Luise Rainier in 2014... both ended up kicking the bucket the same year they were added before a bunch of people were able to complain about them hogging a space on the list. I actually don’t mind centenarians, it adds some more needed style to the list. What I would have issues is if they didn’t have any sort of fame before their centenary or are only connected by family. Take a look at Captain Tom Moore, he’s clearly famous now, but for the first 99 years of his life... do people really see him as famous enough for the list? I really don’t think so. Similarly with Roberta McCain, her only claim to fame is being the mother of John McCain. If she was just the mother of anyone not that famous she wouldn’t even be considered for the list. Basically, if they have some sort of clear fame to claim I wouldn’t necessarily mind, but at most I think they’ll add 1 new centenarian to the list (maybe two if they’re really itching for a new record)...

How many centenarian actors, who were on our radar have died since the start of the year then?

A quick Wiki search working back to Jan: 

Gianrico Tedeschi, Olivia de Havilland, Amala Shankar, Earl Cameron, Pappukutty Bhagavathar, Susanna Ramel, Armando Francioli, Ida Schuster, Lois Kelly Miller, Zoe Dell Nutter, Suzy Delair, Diana Serra Cary and Kirk DouglasVera Lynn and Tao Porchon-Lynch too, even though they weren't known for their acting, and it was also discovered that Doris Merrick and Jeanne Manet had died before the start of the year.

So who does that leave? On my radar (not including any barely notables who don't have an English Wiki page): Renee Simonot, Don Marion Davis, Mary Ward, Marsha Hunt, Norman Lloyd, Caren Marsh Doll, Anne Buydens, Betty Brodel, Marge Champion, Nehemiah Persoff, Orlando Drummond, Arnold Yarrow, Guido Gorgatti, Witold Sadowy, June Spencer and Diana Maggi.

Also Silas Hathaway and Elisabeth Waldo if they haven't died off radar as rumoured.

Adriana Sivieri could be alive but it's looking unlikely now.

Only Maggi, Sadowy and Yarrow became centenarians this year.

So as many centenarian actors have gone this year as there are now still alive. That's pretty excessive, and there's still 5 whole months of the year left!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

How many centenarian actors, who were on our radar have died since the start of the year then?

A quick Wiki search working back to Jan: 

Gianrico Tedeschi, Olivia de Havilland, Amala Shankar, Earl Cameron, Pappukutty Bhagavathar, Susanna Ramel, Armando Francioli, Ida Schuster, Lois Kelly Miller, Zoe Dell Nutter, Suzy Delair, Diana Serra Cary and Kirk Douglas. Vera Lynn and Tao Porchon-Lynch too, even though they weren't known for their acting, and it was also discovered that Doris Merrick and Jeanne Manet had died before the start of the year.

So who does that leave? On my radar (not including any barely notables who don't have an English Wiki page): Renee Simonot, Don Marion Davis, Mary Ward, Marsha Hunt, Norman Lloyd, Caren Marsh Doll, Anne Buydens, Betty Brodel, Marge Champion, Nehemiah Persoff, Orlando Drummond, Arnold Yarrow, Guido Gorgatti, Witold Sadowy, Adriana Sivieri, June Spencer and Diana Maggi.

Also Silas Hathaway and Elisabeth Waldo if they haven't died off radar as rumoured.

Only Maggi, Sadowy and Yarrow became centenarians this year. Anne Triola will join them in September if she makes it.

So as many centenarian actors have gone this year as there are now still alive. That's pretty excessive, and there's still 5 whole months of the year left!

Debatable if Anne Buydens performed enough to be classed as an actress.

On 27/07/2020 at 14:22, The Quim Reaper said:

Fact is there are literally hundreds of famous centenarians.It would be a bit stupid to omit them just because they're seen as easy pickings.Actually they tend to last a lot longer than anyone imagined !Also many of them were put on the list before they reached 100. Most of them in fact I think. Surely you're not suggesting we take t he likes of Kirk Douglas or Vera Lynn off the list as soon as they reach 100 ! :huh:

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Fact is there are literally hundreds of famous centenarians.It would be a bit stupid to omit them just because they're seen as easy pickings.Actually they tend to last a lot longer than anyone imagined !Also many of them were put on the list before they reached 100. Most of them in fact I think. Surely you're not suggesting we take t he likes of Kirk Douglas or Vera Lynn off the list as soon as they reach 100:huh:

Exactly Mr Madeley, that’s a completely different conversation.

You asked “which cents are going on the list next year”, like it’s some kind of obligation to include a load, for the purpose of some cheap hits. And the two you named are pretty borderline in terms of renownedness.

10 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

A lot of interesting french deaths this month : Zizi Jeanmaire, Gisèle Halimi, Jacqueline Sauvage, Albin Chalandon... I was just thinking about him yesterday ! +1 for my french team, RIP

• Like 2

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 12:48, Spade_Cooley said:

Joining the 100 Club: Bob Ryland, the first African-American professional tennis player, and a former coach of the Williams sisters, among many others. As a result, surely a 100% guaranteed QO. 

Hey, serving up a Bob Ryland is dead post: https://patch.com/new-york/upper-west-side-nyc/bob-ryland-first-black-pro-tennis-player-u-s-dies-100

• Like 1

We can replace him with someone who isn't a QO in the English-speaking world, but is of interest to some on the forum (and a former DDP pick iirc): Franca Valeri, Italian actress who despite a wide and varied career is still best remembered as the advertising pitchman for Pandoro Melegatti:

• Like 2

On 04/08/2020 at 13:30, Spade_Cooley said:

We can replace him with someone who isn't a QO in the English-speaking world, but is of interest to some on the forum (and a former DDP pick iirc): Franca Valeri, Italian actress who despite a wide and varied career is still best remembered as the advertising pitchman for Pandoro Melegatti:

DEAD

• Like 2