Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 04/08/2020 at 12:30, Spade_Cooley said:

We can replace him with someone who isn't a QO in the English-speaking world, but is of interest to some on the forum (and a former DDP pick iirc): Franca Valeri, Italian actress who despite a wide and varied career is still best remembered as the advertising pitchman for Pandoro Melegatti:

And dead.

Edit: @TomTomTelekom beat me to it! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chilean way said:

FINALLY!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

FINALLY!!!!!

I hav e lived for this day for many years...:mellow:

On 25/03/2020 at 15:11, drol said:

Manolic didn't celebrate as he is deeply worried about both the pandemic and the earthquake that shocked Zagreb. He thinks he will have time later....

Josip Manolic's second wife Mirjana (they married in 2016) died yesterday from lung cancer aged 64.

He gave a press statement:

"It's very hard for me, she was struggling towards the end. She was suffering from lung cancer. First she was treated at home, then went to the hospital. The only consolation is that she won't suffer anymore. It's awful to watch someone fight for breath".

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Josip Manolic's second wife Mirjana (they married in 2016) died yesterday from lung cancer aged 64.

He gave a press statement:

"It's very hard for me, she was struggling towards the end. She was suffering from lung cancer. First she was treated at home, then went to the hospital. The only consolation is that she won't suffer anymore. It's awful to watch someone fight for breath".

That is surely the end of him then ! The shock of a spouses death at that age is a certain killer! Josip Manolic R.I.P !

39 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

That is surely the end of him then ! The shock of a spouses death at that age is a certain killer! Josip Manolic R.I.P !

No, iain, he will marry some woman 72 years his junior so that she has a remote possibility of outliving him.

• Haha 2

On 27/07/2020 at 09:56, Ulitzer95 said:

With Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn and Olivia De Havilland all dying in the same year, I think it's fair to say we've lost three of the most prominent centenarians in the world.

Got me thinking, who is the "most well known" centenarian now? This is very hard to measure of course, but by looking at those with the most non-English Wiki articles, here's a short list:

Edmond H. Fischer (41)
James Lovelock (41)
Gottfried Bohm (33)
Lawrence Ferlinghetti (29)
Boris Pahor (25)
Borys Paton (25)
Marsha Hunt (22)
Pierre Soulages (22)
Norman Lloyd (21)
10 Captain Tom (19)
Muazzez Ilmiye Cig (19)
Beverly Cleary (19)
Nehemiah Persoff (19)
14 Brenda Milner (18)
15 Ben Ferencz (17)
16 Josip Manolic (15)
Renee Simonot (15)
18 Marge Champion (13)
19 Carmen Herrera (12)
Robert Marchand (12)
21 Damian Iguacen Borau (11)
Anne Buydens (11)

Not very scientific. Though can anyone think of any centenarians with international prominence not listed above?

Borys Paton dead at 101.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Borys Paton dead at 101.

The fact he was not running as Chairman of the National Academy of Sciences after 58 years was the giveaway. Oh, and also the fact he was 101.

I would put Song Ping in the list above. Prominent Politburo member and mentor of Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao (who appears to hate him for some reason now). Definitely notable.

16 minutes ago, drol said:

I would put Song Ping in the list above. Prominent Politburo member and mentor of Hu Jintao and Wen Jiabao (who appears to hate him for some reason now). Definitely notable.

The list was based on those with the most foreign language Wiki pages. Song Ping only has 9. 

• Like 1

Here's an interesting centenarian, but there isn't a lot about him in the english wikipedia.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paavo_V._Suominen

Founded "Huurre" in 1946. It became the largest producer of cold storages in the 80s. Suominen "retired" in 1986 and soon after, because of an economic depression the company was sold to an English bank. He's a millionaire freemason known for sometimes giving donations to schools.

Suominen is known in Finland but probably only few know his name outside of the country.

A few months ago celebrated his 100th birthday. He has once told a newspaper that he wouldn't be alive without a pacemaker he got at age 85 in America.

https://twitter.com/IlmariSjoblom/status/1227683656174645248

Here's a new picture of him. I wonder how long he'll live, his wife is in a nursing home but apparently he still lives in his home. He's a living relic.

R&B and jazz musician Hal Singer, who has collaborated with a variety of celebrated artists, including Coleman Hawkins, died at 100 years:

https://www.leparisien.fr/yvelines-78/yvelines-hal-singer-la-legende-du-jazz-a-souffle-sa-derniere-note-20-08-2020-8370699.php

He has also played with groups like Rocket 88.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

R&B and jazz musician Hal Singer, who has collaborated with a variety of celebrated artists, including Coleman Hawkins, died at 100 years:

https://www.leparisien.fr/yvelines-78/yvelines-hal-singer-la-legende-du-jazz-a-souffle-sa-derniere-note-20-08-2020-8370699.php

He has also played with groups like Rocket 88.

I think Hal Singer was on the list once.Correct me if I'm wrong.Just rings a bell somehow.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think Hal Singer was on the list once.Correct me if I'm wrong.Just rings a bell somehow.

Not even close. 

On 19/08/2020 at 17:43, Ulitzer95 said:

Borys Paton dead at 101.

Clarissa Eden? Eileen Ash  (Whelan)(oldest ever international cricketer)? Ronald Atkins?

Certainly Clarissa Eden is known internationally & by nature of her sporting career Eillen Ash is as well. Ronald Atkins as an MP must be known to far more than his former constituents & Roberta McCain is also known due to her late husband & son.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

Clarissa Eden? Eileen Ash  (Whelan)(oldest ever international cricketer)? Ronald Atkins?

Certainly Clarissa Eden is known internationally & by nature of her sporting career Eillen Ash is as well. Ronald Atkins as an MP must be known to far more than his former constituents & Roberta McCain is also known due to her late husband & son.

I'll repeat myself once more seeing as this doesn't seem to be getting through to people – the list above is notability according to the most foreign language Wikipedia pages. 

I disagree with your point anyway though. Ash, Eden and Atkins are semi-notable persons in Britain. I don't think a women's cricketer, a spouse and a former MP who is really only known for his age are internationally notable whatsoever outside the remit of deadpooling and those with an interest in centenarians.

Centenarians like Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn and Olivia de Havilland were known the world round for their influence PRIOR to living to extreme ages. That in my eyes is true notability.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Atkins - a former MP who is really only known for his age are internationally notable whatsoever outside the remit of deadpooling and those with an interest in centenarians..

I mean, a backbench MP who focused on trying to protect jobs in his town and only really spoke up over transport issues and protecting endangered animals is sort of chap who gets general respect for being a decent sort, but as another passing political anorak, I'd just like to reaffirm this here: I'd never heard of Ronald Atkins until he became known for being very old. In fact, I think he's more famous now for being an MP who is 104 than for his efforts in the late 60s to promote a Channel Tunnel.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

He wasn't on wikepedias list of centenarians !

Nope, he wasn't and he won't

I got him in my own list with almost 400 centenarians

37 minutes ago, chilean way said:

Nope, he wasn't and he won't

I got him in my own list with almost 400 centenarians

How did you compile this list?