Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

1912 isn't a very strong year for notable centenarians.

While 1908 still has Ruth Apilado and 1910 has that strong duo of Stanislaw Kowalski who looks much younger than he is and Disney animator Ruthie Thompson, 1911 still has four notable centenarians:

Marita Quiros (former first lady of Costa Rica, recently got to 110), Renee Simonot (Catherine Deneuve's mother), Eileen Ash (30s and 40s cricketer) and Robert Marchand (cyclist)

1912 only has two after the death of Horne: Philanthropist Jessie Lichauco and blogger Dagny Carlsson.

Meanwhile 1913 has three and they're all men: Pulitzer-winning journalist Vance Trimble, Kannada writer G. Venkatasubbiah and Necropolis author Boris Pahor.

1914 and onwards still have over 10 living notable centenarians each year

• Like 2

Fauja Singh will turn 110 tomorrow and here he is some weeks ago:

Fauja Singh and Ojaswwee Sharma

Yes, he is not 110, but starts to look cranky old. He apparently never leaves home, needs assistance to walk and is not able to look at the camera, which is always a bad sign for old geezers.

Telegraph obit for Anne, Lady Jaffray, aged 101. Part of the team working at Bletchley Park during WWII and later an independent councillor in Hampshire.

• Like 3

On 20/08/2020 at 00:37, arghton said:

Here's an interesting centenarian, but there isn't a lot about him in the english wikipedia.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paavo_V._Suominen

Founded "Huurre" in 1946. It became the largest producer of cold storages in the 80s etc...

his wife is in a nursing home but apparently he still lives in his home. He's a living relic.

https://www.hs.fi/muistot/art-2000007896712.html

Suominen's wife Heli apparently died in October 2020 at the age of 95, one month before her 96th birthday.

EDIT: Death cause was dementia

Phyllis Latour joins the 100 club on 8th of April.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/03/worlds-oldest-living-air-force-general-just-turned-107.html

Also, Harry E. Goldsworthy celebrated his 107th a few days ago.

He spends his days mostly reading "nonsense fiction," he said. He's spent the last year "living a lot like a hermit" due to the COVID-19 pandemic. His two sons were finally able to visit him last month for the first time since it began, he said. He talks to his great-nephews -- one an F-35 pilot, the other a chaplain in the Army -- from time to time.

"All my Air Force buddies are long gone. That's one of the penalties to living to be 107," Goldsworthy said.

https://abc7.com/oldest-living-general-celebrates-107th-birthday-riversides-oldest-general-harry-goldsworthy-lieutenant/10485098/

Told abc7 that the secret to a long life is taking a vodka shot every night before bed.

• Like 1

New video of David Musuguri.

The article from which I took the video said he is in frail health due to diabetes (as usual). I see they are not wearing masks despite Magufuli's unglorious ending. Be careful, old guy, this could bite you back.

Welcome (in a few days) to the Club China's best translator of Western poetry, Xu Yuanchong! Yes, another Chinese immortal geezer, we really needed one more.

• Like 1

Louis Witten recently got to 100.

He's a theoretical physicist known for studying gravity and being the father of physicist Edward Witten, founder of the M-theory and Matt Witten, television writer. Pick in Centenarians Deadpool 2021.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2021 at 11:06, drol said:

Welcome (in a few days) to the Club China's best translator of Western poetry, Xu Yuanchong! Yes, another Chinese immortal geezer, we really needed one more.

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-04-18/Exclusive-Master-translator-Xu-Yuanchong-s-cure-for-a-divided-world-Zz9VuEcQta/share_amp.html

Here's some videos on him.

Wikipedia lists 304 notable living centenarians. 

Of them only 4 are 110+ (Ruth Apilado is very close to 113th birthday), 39 are 105+ and 132 are 102+

28 minutes ago, Donald said:

Wikipedia lists 304 notable living centenarians. 

Of them only 4 are 110+ (Ruth Apilado is very close to 113th birthday), 39 are 105+ and 132 are 102+

Who are the top 4 please ?

Ruth Apilado (1908-2021) Magazine editor

Stanislaw Kowalski (1910-2022) Athlete

Ruthie Thompson (1910-2021) Animator

Marita Quiros (b. 1911) Former first lady of Costa Rica

• Thanks 1

Anna Koźmińska (wiki) died last month aged 101.

Noted in her Times of Israel obit here that she was the oldest living person with the Righteous Among the Nations honour.

A handy clarification as I'm pretty sure there are still a few older people on Wiki in the Possibly Living category with the title and I wasn't sure if they were still around.

Edit: Pretty sure that the oldest RATN now is Józef Walaszczyk (wiki), also aged 101. He's commonly referred to as the "Polish Schindler".

@arghton, if ever you get bored and need a good topic for a list, this would be it.

Yad Vashem's website has a list of all the over 27000 people awarded it, but the major problem with the site is that alive people aren't mentioned alive (for example Walaszczyk) but instead birthdate-questionmark "1919-?"

Some death dates aren't mentioned, for example Marthe Barnet-Cambou (born 1919, died in 2018 according to many sources) 

I'll try to look into it later

13 minutes ago, arghton said:

Yad Vashem's website has a list of all the over 27000 people awarded it, but the major problem with the site is that alive people aren't mentioned alive (for example Walaszczyk) but instead birthdate-questionmark "1919-?"

Some death dates aren't mentioned, for example Marthe Barnet-Cambou (born 1919, died in 2018 according to many sources) 

I'll try to look into it later

A good several hundred have Wiki pages though, so you can browse by categories or by the "list of" pages. There's at least half a dozen I've found who are living. 

Two that spring to mind are Andrée Geulen-Herscovici (wiki), 100 in September and Anne Beaumanoir (wiki), 98 in October.

There's a way of searching wikipedia for people who belong to two or more categories, right? Let me see if I can remember it...

One of the younger ones is the one surviving Podgórski sister, Helena (wiki) aged 85/86.

Also worth noting that they're still giving the award out but they've obviously slowed down in recent years. Also not heard of them bestowing the honour on any living people in recent years, just posthumous cases once they gather enough evidence to support a candidacy.

On 19/01/2021 at 19:17, drol said:

Here's a list of them, just to see how many will be dead in a year:

33)Yedlapati Venkatarao (1919). India.

How many of them will be dead in a year? 4 or 5?

Yedlapati's son is dead.

• Like 1

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Parsus

Pierre Parsus is one person I'm hoping will see 100. In this case it'll be on 6th of June 2021.

Interesting artist, was still signing autographs in January 2020. Looked a bit like an overweight Boris Johnson when he was a bit younger.

EP163VRX0AAz7bD.jpg.89286899cf4a643fa528ea15493d9a5b.jpg

• Like 1