Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Meanwhile, in Bearsted and Thurnham, Kent

Women live longer than anywhere else in the UK - including a couple of centenarians already featured by the local paper. 

243916333_10157813807740981_185814849621

On 27/06/2021 at 15:34, arghton said:

Brazil has agronomist Fernando Cardoso (b. 1914), primatologist Milton Thiago de Mello (b. 1916), professor Cleonice Berardinelli (b. 1916), athlete Frederico Fischer (b. 1917), actor, voice actor and hospice care survivor Orlando Drummond (b. 1919), businessman Alberto Dualib (b. 1919) and bishop Antonio Afonso de Miranda (b. 1920), but no new ones from during the last year.

Nigeria has the country's first chartered accountant Akintola Williams (b. 1919)

Russia has animator Leonid Shvartsman (b. 1920) and Mexico has bishop Francisco Raúl Villalobos Padilla (b. 1921)

Dead.

• Like 4

Ruthie Tompson finally dead at 111.

• Like 8
  • Sad 4
  • Shocked 4

I wonder if TCM will include her in their annual tribute in December? 

She'd become only the 2nd supercentenarian to make the cut, after Frederica Sagor Maas, back in 2012.

Sagor Maas was also 111 when she died, but a few months older than Ruthie was, meaning that Sagor Maas is still the longest lived Hollywood name, and likely will be for a long, long time to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Ruthie Tompson finally dead at 111.

Question for all the American readers out there : was she really famous outside of the deadpool  communities ? It’s hard for European and non-English speaking user to judge the level of fame of a person sometimes,.. 

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Question for all the American readers out there : was she really famous outside of the deadpool  communities ? It’s hard for European and non-English speaking user to judge the level of fame of a person sometimes,.. 

I'd say no. Never heard of her till I found this site. Doubt this gets much coverage in the media besides the usual circles. In fact, I doubt she'd get much of a obit, at all if she wasn't so old. Disney legend of course as well, but in America that isn't something most know exists nor care about.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

She wasn't "famous"  per se since Animators work behind the scenes, and even the most notable people in the field don't become household names. However she was notable/respected enough in her field to be made a Disney Legend years before she become fodder for deadpoolers.

• Like 4

She only really went on deadpoolers radars once she was circa 106. Moreso a case where it was cool that there was someone who worked on Snow White who was still alive moreso than Ruthie Tompson herself being some huge name (albeit clearly respected within her field).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

She only really went on deadpoolers radars once she was circa 106. Moreso a case where it was cool that there was someone who worked on Snow White who was still alive moreso than Ruthie Tompson herself being some huge name (albeit clearly respected within her field).

This is why I'm curious as to whether TCM will include her in their annual tribute.

She wasn't a lead animator by any means whatsoever. Yet I get the impression those compiling the tribute may think "111? She's too cool not to include!".

Advanced age definitely tips the notability factor to a great extent. If either Norman Lloyd or Marge Champion had died at 80, I honestly doubt we'd have spoken about them much on here bar maybe a passing mention of their deaths.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

This is why I'm curious as to whether TCM will include her in their annual tribute.

She wasn't a lead animator by any means whatsoever. Yet I get the impression those compiling the tribute may think "111? She's too cool not to include!".

Advanced age definitely tips the notability factor to a great extent. If either Norman Lloyd or Marge Champion had died at 80, I honestly doubt we'd have spoken about them much on here bar maybe a passing mention of their deaths.

Think Marge would have got a Q/O level of coverage no matter what her age as she was fairly famous in her day. 

• Like 1

If you look at the top names on wikipedia's "living centenarians list", not many of them got a wikipedia before getting to 100. Good examples are the two supercentenarians on the list: Kowalski didn't even have a Polish wikipedia page before reaching 100, Quiros got both a Spanish and an English one this year. 

From the ten oldest ones on that list only three already had a wikipedia page before reaching 100. These are Eileen Ash who got one in 2008 at the age of 97, Boris Pahor who got one in 2004 (plus a Slovenian one in 2005) at the age of 91 and Harry E. Goldsworthy who got one at 97 in 2011. 

• Like 1

Had Norman Lloyd died aged 80 we probably wouldn't have spoken much of him as he'd have died about a decade before this forum opened! :D

(His role in Dead Poets Society would have gotten him remembered as much as Jessica Tandy who was roughly the same age, was in a big film of the late 80s, and isn't mentioned much round here, due to the being dead for a quarter of a century lark...)

• Like 1

resistant and former WWII Veteran Hubert Germain dies at 101, he was the last Compagnon de la Liberation after the death of Daniel Cordier in November 2020

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

On 01/09/2021 at 19:29, Ulitzer95 said:

Cecil Souders (wiki), American NFL player (Detroit Lions, 47–49), dead at 100.

There is one other centenarian NFLer still alive: Ken Casanega (wiki), b. Feb 1921, played for the San Fran 49ers.

Ken Casanega (wikidead at 100.

Last surviving member of the original 49ers.

EDIT: I THINK the oldest former NFL player is now Charley Trippi (wiki), who turns 100 in December.

Don Johnson (wiki) and Earle Parsons (wiki) do not have death dates on Wikipedia or on any of the sports stats sites, but I'm pretty certain they're deceased.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Telegraph obit. A really great read if you have a subscrip.

According to one obituary he was a close friend of Prince Philip - quite possibly in Philip's final years he was the only close acquaintance who was actually older than Philip. (Unless Philip's reported cricket interests meant he was a friend of Eileen Ash who will be 110  (not 100 as printed earlier)later this month.)

• Like 2

On 05/09/2021 at 21:53, arghton said:

Nehemiah Persoff apparently gave an interview and was in a photoshoot for his new book around a week or two ago:

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article253750243.html

persoff.png.da392d31b9848d4e854920e16c5940e5.png

Immortal potential? Suffered a bad stroke in 1989 that stopped his acting career. Obese until around 95-100 when he seems to have lost a ton of weight...

Looks different in nearly every picture of him from the last decade. Mikis Theodorakis lookalike at one point, very frail in those pictures from his 100th of him sitting in a chair.

Here's a later interview from September. It's over one hour long. At around 54:35:

"After my wife died I thought there was nothing to live for. 69 years we were together. And I met this lady that just...knocked me out. She's a much younger woman and I'm 102. How much more time do I have? Six months? A year? A year and a half? A year and three days? Who knows, you don't know. And I suddenly became to feel...Oh shucks I wanna live, I wanna live."

"I could go today, fine. But I don't want to. (Laughs)"

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

On 03/06/2021 at 13:20, arghton said:

Former Yugoslav army leader Branko Mamula got to 100 a few days ago.

IMG_20210603_141301.png.1123a3665b71a9461a16f77f9a4677f8.png

Picture not new.

Dead

• Like 4

Covid or postcovid illnesses according to many articles. 

Here with Josip Broz Tito (1892-1980) in, presumably 1978:

1526930_266786350140756_296319189_n.thumb.jpg.02dc108f54d9eeeb89fd2eb02cce6017.jpg