Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

Already down to only 4 survivors Born in October 1920: Charles Burrell, Li Dak-sum, Zou Yu and Alicia Dussan de Reichel.

No doubts the Chinese will be left for ages. Remains to be seen who will go first between Burrell and Dussan.

• Like 1

French aviator Valérie André (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian :birthday2:

L'héliport de Paris rebaptisé en l'honneur du général Valérie André

• Like 2

On 20/07/2021 at 02:16, arghton said:

The Finnish wikipedia has a ton of these people known for, as one example writing poems/books/else in the 1940s/1950s, died in the 1960s/70s/80s after which they've been mostly forgotten by others than their families, only to be granted a wikipedia page because they were mentioned in a "who's who" sixty years ago.

Probably worst case of these forgotten deaths was Kurt Westerholm, the Finnish president's chief of staff 1958-1966. No 100th birthday confirmation but someone on wikipedia marked him as a centenarian (his 100th would've been in March 2020), later in December turns out he died in 1973, 47 years ago...

I'll try to make a list of these likely deceased Finnish "centenarians" below:

Edit: No need, someone has cleaned this wiki page: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luokka:Yli_satavuotiaiksi_eläneet_suomalaiset

The four living notable Finnish centenarians notable enough to get a Finnish wiki are:

Astrid Qvist (b. 1912) Notable for being Finland's oldest person since December 2020.

Ilmari Koppinen (b. 1918) Runner and professor. Still active and breaking records as of this month: https://www.sss.fi/2021/07/urheiluhistoriaa-salolaisesta-103-vuotiaasta-ilmari-koppisesta-tuli-suomen-vanhin-urheilusuorituksen-tehnyt-ihminen/

Article about Koppinen becoming the oldest athlete ever in Finland.

Keijo Virtamo (1919-2021) Encyclopedist, also notable for being the last living veteran from the "Ässärykmentti" regiment during WWII. Newest article about him is from december, he'll be 102 on the 8th of next month.

Paavo V. Suominen (b. 1920) Businessman, founder of Huurre. I posted a picture of him some months ago taken on his 101th.

Paavo V. Suominen dead at 102.

• Like 3

On 12/03/2021 at 19:26, arghton said:

Alive centenarians from countries and dependencies with smaller populations.  (under 20 million, only ones born over 100 years before this post.)

Lithuania: (2,7 million)

David Botwinik, composer (born 1920, alive as of 2018)

While checking that list, noticed that David Botwinik died in February:

https://montrealgazette.remembering.ca/obituary/david-botwinik-1084426255

Picked Suominen as my sub in the Centenarians DP. Should've picked him instead of that indestructible Poltawska. Same for Musuguri and Haifeng. 

• Like 3

Finnish opera singer, "Finland's national baritone" Matti Lahtinen is 100 today. Couldn't find a proper article yet, but lots of people on Twitter and Facebook are wishing a happy birthday to him and he's someone who won't die off-radar, especially as he's still very active. 74-year career, there's a lot of his songs on youtube

On 11/11/2021 at 13:44, Ulitzer95 said:

*snip*
(now its Howard Bier, b. 1919, wiki)
*snip*

Is Howard Bier the last living U.S. politician born in the 1910s following the death of Johnnie Jones?

• Like 2

On 21/05/2021 at 15:57, Lafaucheuse said:

And now, she is 101 ! Happy bday grandma, hope she can have many more :party:

My grandmother just died today, aged 101, one month short of her 102nd birthday.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 24

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

My grandmother just died today, aged 101, one month short of her 102nd birthday.. 

I am sorry for your loss, may your grandmother rest in peace

• Thanks 1

Former TV producer Derek Granger was 101 last week, and visited his old school. Local press being what it is, they can't tell their Dereks from their Davids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Former TV producer Derek Granger was 101 last week, and visited his old school. Local press being what it is, they can't tell their Dereks from their Davids.

That's the best I've ever seen for 101.

On 28/04/2022 at 13:40, Lafaucheuse said:

So sorry to hear of your loss.May she rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

Former Chinese viceminister of Education Gao Yi dead at 107. Obituary specifies he received "ministerial-level care".

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Wrong thread.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2021 at 19:26, arghton said:

Czech Republic: (10,7 million)

Meda Mládková, art collector (born 8th of September 1919)

Miroslav Zikmund, writer (czech wiki) (born 14th of February 1919, alive as of 2021)

Eduard Marek, WWII veteran (czech wiki) (born 17th of March 1917, alive as of 2020)

Meda Mladkova, Czech art collector dead at 102:

https://english.radio.cz/art-collector-patron-meda-mladkova-dies-102-8749353

Not a Centenarians DP pick as far as I know.

• Like 3

Czech physicist Felix Kolmer (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian :birthday2:

image.jpeg.775145e41a941ff9e16782964ed350a5.jpeg

• Like 1

American philanthropist, activist and writer Deborah Szekely (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian :birthday2:

Deborah Szekely, Founder of The Golden Door, Rancho La Puerta, and the  Museum of New | Rotary Club of La Jolla | District 5340

• Like 1

Delete

A 100 Year old male named Walter Orthmann from Brazil has broken the record for working at a company for the longest time in history at 84 years Congratulations! https://www.breezyscroll.com/the-achievers/100-year-old-man-breaks-guinness-world-record-for-working-at-the-same-company-for-84-years/

76C24BF1-9142-4B0B-A9F1-E0F5B1419CE6.jpeg

Edited by Insane
Forgot Photo