Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 09/06/2022 at 12:50, arghton said:

Hein Eersel Surinamese politician, linguist, cultural researcher and Minister of Education and Population Development (1969) is 100 today, but in bad health:

https://www.dbsuriname.com/2022/06/08/de-eeuw-van-oom-hein-eersel/

Can't remember the last time Suriname has had a notable centenarian.

Hein Eersel dead, two days after turning 100.

• Like 8
  • Shocked 1

On 12/03/2021 at 19:26, arghton said:

Alive centenarians from countries and dependencies with smaller populations.  (under 20 million, only ones born over 100 years before this post.)

Paraguay: (7,3 million)

Basilio Gonzalez, chaco war veteran (gerontology wikia page) (born 13th of June 1913)

Video from Basilio Gonzalez's 109th (or 107th?) birthday celebration. Looks...well, like he's 107/109. 

On 12/03/2021 at 19:26, arghton said:

Slovenia: (2,1 million)

Boris Pahor, novelist (born 26th of August 1913)

Joško Battestin, electrical engineer (born 14th of March 1918)

Marko Račič, athlete (born  25th of April 1920)

Ivan Grobelnik, partisan (born 17th of October 1920, alive as of 2020)

Ivan Grobelnik dead at 101

On Gonzalez, there's more or less only 11 Chaco War (1932-1935) veterans left. Paraguay's side has nine according to government sites (up to 23 according to certain news articles, but that's likely outdated information), Bolivia has two:

José Pradel Loyza (1914-2022) Wheelchairbound but stable and cared for by two nurses.

Samuel Chuquimia Murillo (1916) "Very tired" according to article from two days ago

Latest one to die from Bolivia's side was Emeterio Ernesto Talavera Choque (1918-2022), who died in February. I have mentioned all three before.

• Like 1

"Last living star of Burlesque's Golden Age" Betty Rowland may have died off the radar in April if this tweet is to be believed. Weird, I thought she might be a 50/50 shot at a QO, rather than a "die without any press at all".

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

"Last living star of Burlesque's Golden Age" Betty Rowland may have died off the radar in April if this tweet is to be believed. Weird, I thought she might be a 50/50 shot at a QO, rather than a "die without any press at all".

Leslie Zemeckis, author and wife of film director Robert Zemeckis was very close to her, always also on her 100th birthday. I was hoping she would have informed the media by now as Betty lived alone in an apartment or nursing home in Brentwood. I think she has no child.

• Like 1

Also a Facebook post from Zemeckis about her death here. Seems she died c. March/April. 

A pick in the centenarians deadpool. Not picked in the DDP. Tbh, reading up on her career she's like an obituary writer's dream so the only reason she hasn't received coverage is because the media are unaware, not lack of interest.

She had some bit part movie roles so technically she was the oldest living Hollywood actor. That accolade now belongs to Marsha Hunt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Also a Facebook post from Zemeckis about her death here. Seems she died c. March/April. 

A pick in the centenarians deadpool. Not picked in the DDP. Tbh, reading up on her career she's like an obituary writer's dream so the only reason she hasn't received coverage is because the media are unaware, not lack of interest.

She had some bit part movie roles so technically she was the oldest living Hollywood actor. That accolade now belongs to Marsha Hunt.

I remember you had some "friends" who cover the death of child actress Sharyn Moffett. Can they cover Betty's death too. IDK, I am just asking? Hollywood Reporter it was? 

@Ulitzer95 A new comment on Zemeckis post. She replied that Betty died the day she posted the announcement, so April 3.

On 15/06/2022 at 06:50, Ulitzer95 said:

I sent an e-mail to the LA Times and NY Times obit desks, I've had varying results in the past with some other names, so let's see if they eventually pick it up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, edm88 said:

I sent an e-mail to the LA Times and NY Times obit desks, I've had varying results in the past with some other names, so let's see if they eventually pick it up.

I did the same to Hollywood Reporter

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 06:54, Lafaucheuse said:

Jean Labelle (b. 1920) : painter

Jean Labellie dead on November 29, 2021

• Like 1

Andrée Michel (b. 1920) : sociologist

Raymond Février (b. 1920) : politician

Germain Marc’hadour (b. 1921) : religious man, writer and teacher

Andree Michel, French feminist and sociologist dead at 101

Raymond Fevrier dead at 101

Germain Marc'hadour dead at 100

• Like 2

American professional basketball player Whitey Von Nieda (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian

Whitey Von Nieda, possibly the oldest living former NBA player :  r/VintageNBA

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

American professional basketball player Whitey Von Nieda (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian

Whitey Von Nieda, possibly the oldest living former NBA player :  r/VintageNBA

You may wish to check your source on that one.

I was led to believe he turned 100 today but didn’t become a centenarian.

• Haha 3

Don't think Whitey has much time left...

Ephrata basketball legend Von Nieda celebrates a century | Local Sports |  lancasteronline.com

• Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 20:16, Ulitzer95 said:

Edit: Pretty sure that the oldest RATN now is Józef Walaszczyk (wiki), also aged 101. He's commonly referred to as the "Polish Schindler".

@arghton, if ever you get bored and need a good topic for a list, this would be it.

Józef Walaszczyk dead.

• Like 5
  • Shocked 1

Colombian journalist Chelo de Castro dead at 102

Colombia: sports journalist Chelo de Castro, the oldest in the world, dies  in Barranquilla 

• Like 3

American art collector, specializing in African-American art Vivian Davidson Hewitt (Wikidead at 102

Stream Vivian Davidson Hewitt - University Archives Oral History Program by  CMU Libraries | Listen online for free on SoundCloud 

• Like 2

Brazilian actress Geninha da Rosa Borges (Wikihas died, two days after her 100th birthday

A estreia da Paixão de Cristo do Recife | João Alberto Blog

• Like 4

On 04/11/2021 at 14:54, Lafaucheuse said:

Pierre Baldi (b. 1919) : painter

Pierre Baldi dead at 103

• Like 3

Swiss-born American professor Hans Frauenfelder (Wiki) turns 100 today 

Hans Frauenfelder - Wikipedia

• Like 2

On 14/06/2022 at 18:22, Spade_Cooley said:

A grand New York Times obit for Betty Rowland.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/29/arts/betty-rowland-dead.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3