Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

12 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Read somewhere he's around or almost two meters tall, can't name many centenarians that tall.

I wonder which source?

Philippe must be under six feet (1.83m) now, below is a photo of him with Chirac from 2002, Philippe struggles to look six feet there (Chirac was just over six feet one there), and as you generally shrink no more than two inches by eighty, Philippe was probably no more than 6’2” as a young man.

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/remembrance-ceremony-at-the-mont-valerien-on-the-news-photo/109105914?adppopup=true

• Like 1

On 25/12/2022 at 19:00, Ulitzer95 said:

Ed Updegraff dead at 100.

Damn it. Been waiting for months to put him on my list for the centenarians game. Amusing name and description ‘golfer and urologist’ appealed to me for some reason. 

One thing I noticed this year was just how many people die aged 100, like the age is some kind of target, then their body just gives up. 

• Facepalm 1

On 20/12/2022 at 23:49, arghton said:

Ulitzer's post from Ideas and Possibilities 2022

Reveal hidden contents

American photographer Tony Vaccaro (wiki) is one to watch. 99 this year and recently survived COVID-19:

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Tony Vaccaro reigns as one of the few people to have battled both COVID-19 and the beaches of Normandy. 
The photographer will celebrate his 98th birthday with a virtual show at Santa Fe’s Monroe Gallery of Photography through Jan. 17, at monroegallery.com
Vaccaro contracted Covid early in the pandemic – in April. He spent two days in the hospital."

He'll obit too.

Now 100, he (for search purposes Tony Vaccaro) was recently hospitalised with a burst stomach ulcer for weeks. Apparently discharged around a week ago, he attended some event a few days ago and was wheelchairbound.

Tony Vaccaro being reported dead: 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 2

Well that’s embarrassing, I used to pick her in AO every year and just dropped her this Time. It could have been a solo hit + 2 in one day with McGarvey… damn

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Well that’s embarrassing, I used to pick her in AO every year and just dropped her this Time. It could have been a solo hit + 2 in one day with McGarvey… damn

You had picked her last year in Centenarians Deadpool too ...

I don't know if this year you are gonna to participate

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Lise Norgaard, a Danish journalist and writer, has died. She was 105.  It appears she died January 1st, but that could get adjusted. She had been a 2022 DDP solo.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2023-01-02-lise-noergaard-er-doed

(Danish language obit)

The family confirmed on TV that she passed away sunday afternoon.

• Like 2

Virginia Halas McCaskey (Wiki) turns 100 today

Virginia McCaskey says Bears will stay in the family - ProFootballTalk 

• Like 2

On 12/03/2021 at 19:26, arghton said:

Alive centenarians from countries and dependencies with smaller populations.  (under 20 million, only ones born over 100 years before this post.)

Greece: (10,7 million)

Epaminondas Stassinopoulos, retired head of the Radiation Physics Office (born 17th of January 1921, alive as of 2018)

Apostolos Pitsos, industrialist (born 29th of June 1918, later addition)

Apostolos Pitsos, Greek industrialist, dead at 104. 19 remaining of the, what, 65? names listed.

• Like 3

Before Diego gets in , he was the 6th Greek industrialist to die wearing blue socks, but only the 4th while wearing shoes.

• Haha 6

American surgeon Robert A. Chase (Wiki) turns 100 today

Robert A. Chase - Wikipedia

A few mentions of veterans in regional publications:

December 26, 2022, marks the 106th anniversary of Great Patriotic War veteran Petr Ivanovich Shikhov from Irbit, Sverdlovsk Region [1].

January 1, 2023 marks the 101st birthday of Stepan Platonovich Drozdov, veteran of the Great Patriotic War, veteran of the Yakutia River Shipping Company [2]. 

January 5, 2023 marks the 103rd birthday of Rauf Ibragimovich Tukhvatullin, a World War II veteran from Buin district, Republic of Tatarstan [3].

Johnny Macknowski, Russian-born US basketball player and as far as I know the second-oldest living NBA player after Whitey Von Nieda, is 100 today.

Joseph A. Hardy III, US billionaire businessman, founder-CEO of 84 Lumber and Nemacolin Woodland Resorts, 100 today. As far as I know he's now on oxygen but not bad for a larger guy who holds a cigar in half of the pictures taken of him.

Héctor Mayagoitia Domínguez, decrepit Mexican chemical bacteriologist and politician, former Governor of Durango, former Director of the National Polytechnic Institute, 100 today.

8 hours ago, arghton said:

Johnny Macknowski, Russian-born US basketball player and as far as I know the second-oldest living NBA player after Whitey Von Nieda, is 100 today.

Joseph A. Hardy III, US billionaire businessman, founder-CEO of 84 Lumber and Nemacolin Woodland Resorts, 100 today. As far as I know he's now on oxygen but not bad for a larger guy who holds a cigar in half of the pictures taken of him.

Héctor Mayagoitia Domínguez, decrepit Mexican chemical bacteriologist and politician, former Governor of Durango, former Director of the National Polytechnic Institute, 100 today.

Joseph A. Hardy III turned 100 today, then died several hours later.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 4

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not really sure if it was expected or unexpected. Nemacolin's site said him making it to 100 "proved nothing is impossible" but I think it could've also meant his habits, cigars alcohol etc more than his at-the-time condition as some articles also had the mortality-denying "we look forward to many more years with the lumber lord" stuff. However his health decline was pretty fast considering he was in amazing health in early/mid 2022. 

26 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Was going to include him on a Pittsburgh-area theme team but decided to scrap the whole team at the last minute.  Sad day, though, as he was an area institution.  One of those guys who you thought would just be around forever.  Back when he hosted a PGA Tour event at his resort he always treated everyone, including us volunteers, like kings.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2021 at 02:16, arghton said:

Ilmari Koppinen (b. 1918) Runner and professor. Still active and breaking records as of this month: https://www.sss.fi/2021/07/urheiluhistoriaa-salolaisesta-103-vuotiaasta-ilmari-koppisesta-tuli-suomen-vanhin-urheilusuorituksen-tehnyt-ihminen/

Article about Koppinen becoming the oldest athlete ever in Finland.

Runner/professor/surveyor Ilmari Koppinen 105 today. Still indestructible, doesn't walk as much as he used to but lifts 6kg dumbbells every day and still writes.

• Like 3

Sister Jean is an American nun who is known as a chaplain for the Loyola Ramblers men's basketball team.  

She is currently 103 and will turn 104 this August.

Photo Credit: National Bobblehead Hall of Fame

Sister_Jean_bobblehead_-_natl_bobble_head_hall_of_fame.jpg

• Angry 1

15 minutes ago, John "요한" Sulu said:

Sister Jean is an American nun who is known as a chaplain for the Loyola Ramblers men's basketball team.  

She is currently 103 and will turn 104 this August.

Photo Credit: National Bobblehead Hall of Fame

Sister_Jean_bobblehead_-_natl_bobble_head_hall_of_fame.jpg

God Sulu !!!! You have to make an effort now, you can’t continue to spam the forum with useless infos or ones that have already been posted ! There is a search function on the top right, use it ! Also, this is not a site Where to post Randon names : this is a place to discuss and bet on future celeb deaths. Your nonagenarian site is good but is basically useless because it’s just a list of old people. This is not a place to post those people unless you have a new information on them or if they’re dead : most of them have already been mentionned a lot of Time here so you don’t have to post them once more. Please, keep it in mind now !!

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

God Sulu !!!! You have to make an effort now, you can’t continue to spam the forum with useless info or ones that have already been posted ! There is a search function on the top right, use it ! Also, this is not a site Where to post Randon names : this is a place to discuss and bet on future celeb deaths. Your nonagenarian site is good but is basically useless because it’s just a list of old people. This is not a place to post those people unless you have a new information on them or if they’re dead : most of them have already been mentionned a lot of Time here so you don’t have to post them once more. Please, keep it in mind now !!

On the death anniversary thread, is it OK if I make a death anniversary post of a notable historical figure I learned about at a class in school for what this figure is famous for?

• Like 1

Just now, John "요한" Sulu said:

On the death anniversary thread, is it OK if I make a death anniversary post of a notable historical figure I learned about at school for what this figure is famous for?

Or course it is, this is the very title of the thread ! But if you make a post about someone dead on the 14th of may while we’re the 9th of january, it’s pointless. Do you understand Why it’s iritating ? How old are you ?

• Like 1