Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

On 27/01/2023 at 02:57, Ulitzer95 said:

Howard was the 2nd oldest Olympian known to be alive.

Félix Sienra (b. 1916) is now the last known living Olympian born in the 1910s.

DEAD

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

DEAD

That's sad. 

He was reportedly in pretty good health recently so must've been a quick downturn.

Edit: The oldest living Olympian now tumbles by a whole 4 years to a May 1920 birth. France's Yvonne Curtet (wiki).

• Like 1

Brazilian writer Cleonice Berardinelli dead at 106.

I figure we'll be pretty thin on 1916-born notables soon. Doesn't seem like one had died since Arczynski in August, and now Sienra and Berardinelli go back to back :dead:

• Like 3

On 01/02/2023 at 01:16, tracy said:

Brazilian writer Cleonice Berardinelli dead at 106.

I figure we'll be pretty thin on 1916-born notables soon. Doesn't seem like one had died since Arczynski in August, and now Sienra and Berardinelli go back to back :dead:

Of those with English-language Wiki pages we have:

Milton Thiago de Mello (wiki) b. 5 Feb 1916 / Brazilian primatologist
Geneviève Callerot (wiki) b. 6 May 1916 / French novelist and farmer
Eunice Parsons (wiki) b. 4 Aug 1916 / American modernist artist
Käthe Menzel-Jordan (wiki) b. 7 Sep 1916 / German architect 
Frank Handlen (wiki) b. 26 Sep 1916 / American painter
Mihai Sora (wiki) b. 7 Nov 1916 / Romanian philosopher and essayist
Ruth Johnson Colvin (wiki) b. 16 Dec 1916 / American skill advocate
Saifur Rahman Nizami (wiki) b. ?? ??? 1916 / Bangladeshi Islamic scholar

I don't know much of those 8. Just that Handlen is reportedly still in good health and still working. I first added him to my long list in 2007 so he's done well!

Some "possibly living" names i.e. 99% likely deceased but missing evidence of death from their Wiki pages:

Daphne Courtney (wiki)
Emilio Ballado (wiki)
Frank M. Gibson (wiki)
Hélène Guisan (wiki)
Hubert Jura (wiki)
Jack Beasley (wiki)
Jacq van den Berg (wiki)
James Arthur Ewing (wiki)
Kim Bong-han (wiki)
Leung Tat-shing (wiki)
Mary Walker-Sawka (wiki)
Masatatsu Kitazawa (wiki)
Paul Aste (wiki)
Ricardo Bravo (wiki)
Sumiko Mizukubo (wiki)
Tatsuo Ichikawa (wiki)
Thomas Anderson (wiki)
Thomas Hamilton-Brown (wiki)
Werner Spycher (wiki)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pop_Zeus said:

The 100 Club thread makes it to 100 pages :party:

I guess it would be ironic if the 100 Club thread "died" at 100 pages.

• Haha 1

On 25/11/2022 at 19:15, arghton said:

German-born American scientist Dieter Gruen, known for for example having been a member of the scientific team at the Oak Ridge site that developed the Uranium bomb dropped on Hiroshima, work on actinide radioactive elements research, research on how to make safer nuclear reactors, work on developing ultra-sensitive ion measurement techniques, research on fusion power, research on heat pump technology and inventing a new method for making diamond films etc., got to 100 a few days ago.

dietergruen.png.cb08ab7e4de25f60e32b6f31d39ae40b.png

I had long thought that Dieter Gruen (b. 1922) was the last contributor to the Manhattan Project still living, but apparently not.

Harris Mayer (wiki, b. 1921) is still with us. He was in the Possibly Living category on Wiki which is why he was likely off our radars, but there's a 100th birthday article about him here.

• Like 2

Mihai Șora is that guy who has an active (or active the last time I checked a few months ago) facebook account. 

Chinese Wiki has two born 1916 who I think could still likely be alive. And around 35 others still marked living who have either died in recent years according to Baike or other sites or likely died around five decades ago. 

Xu Zhongfu (wikidata) China's former ambassador to Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Was China's ambassador to Chile when Mao died. Has had a Zh wiki since 2012 and a Spanish wiki since 2016. As far as I know he was still alive around 2021 and has a Baike Baidu page.

Whatever the name of this guy is, Mitsushiro Maeda/Mitsushige? Maega? (wikidata) Japanese-born Chinese veteran. Seems to have been used in Chinese propaganda in recent years so he's probably alive.

On 15/01/2023 at 14:41, drol said:

One new name for us: 109-years old social worker Anita Mackey seems to be in extremely rough shape...

https://images.app.goo.gl/tr3Bm4bb66sXzzfb8

In addition to Anita Mackey, these have all been added to Wiki’s ‘List of living centenarians’ since the start of this year:

Beatrice Lumpkin (3 Aug 1918, American Political activist)

Emogene Creque (22 July 1919, British Virgin Islands Politician)

Romay Davis (29 Oct 1919, American WW2 Veteran)

Graham Bailey (22 March 1920, English Footballer)

Roy Drinkard (12 July 1920, American Businessman)

Jorge Tovar (1 Feb 1922, Mexican Artist)

Phyllis Kinney (4 July 1922, American Singer, collector & historian)

I don’t really understand how their list works. I know there’s a good number of names that would qualify yet don’t appear. Sometimes names disappear yet not because they have died (because they’re deemed not famous enough by somebody?).

Couple of examples:

Thelma McKenzie (6 April 1915, Australian Cricketer) - wiki entry states she is deceased but shows no death date, and the link to her ‘death’ is about a completely different person!

Adriana Sivieri (21 June 1918, Italian-born Argentine Actress) - disappeared from the list for seemingly no reason

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Pop_Zeus said:

Couple of examples:

Thelma McKenzie (6 April 1915, Australian Cricketer) - wiki entry states she is deceased but shows no death date, and the link to her ‘death’ is about a completely different person!

I added that reference to her page. It's not intended to be an obituary for McKenzie! It's a link to an obituary for Norma Johnston which states that Johnston was "Australia's oldest living Test cricketer until her death".

Johnson was born in 1927. McKenzie was born in 1915(!) Understand the purpose of that reference now?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pop_Zeus said:

Adriana Sivieri (21 June 1918, Italian-born Argentine Actress) - disappeared from the list for seemingly no reason

No. Not for "no reason". There's zero evidence that she's still alive.

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

No. Not for "no reason". There's zero evidence that she's still alive.

Really? I thought humans were alive unless it can be proven otherwise. No mention of her death anywhere 

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I added that reference to her page. It's not intended to be an obituary for McKenzie! It's a link to an obituary for Norma Johnston which states that Johnston was "Australia's oldest living Test cricketer until her death".

Johnson was born in 1927. McKenzie was born in 1915(!) Understand the purpose of that reference now?

Yes I understand now. She is a pick in the Centenarians Deadpool this year, so may be worth mentioning there. I picked her myself in it last year. Won’t be doing that again!

28 minutes ago, Pop_Zeus said:

Really? I thought humans were alive unless it can be proven otherwise. No mention of her death anywhere 

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not.

The list is called “List of living centenarians”. It contains two statements – 1) they’re alive 2) they’re 100+.

Wiki is an encyclopaedia that is built using reliable sources. There are 1000s of biographies of people on there born in 1923, 1922, 1921, 1920 etc. with no death date on their page because (usually because they’re so obscure). To suggest that they should all be featured on a living centenarian list because there’s nothing to prove they’re deceased would defeat the whole purpose of the list in the first place as it would then be composed almost entirely of people who are already dead. That’s why evidence of having reached a 100th birthday is needed in order to list someone there.

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I can’t tell if you’re trolling or not.

The list is called “List of living centenarians”. It contains two statements – 1) they’re alive 2) they’re 100+.

Wiki is an encyclopaedia that is built using reliable sources. There are 1000s of biographies of people on there born in 1923, 1922, 1921, 1920 etc. with no death date on their page because (usually because they’re so obscure). To suggest that they should all be featured on a living centenarian list because there’s nothing to prove they’re deceased would defeat the whole purpose of the list in the first place as it would then be composed almost entirely of people who are already dead. That’s why evidence of having reached a 100th birthday is needed in order to list someone there.

No, I’m not trolling. I haven’t been around here for as long as many of you. I get what you’re saying. 

Maybe the name of their list should be amended to ‘List of living centenarians who have been pictured with a cake on their 100th birthday’ :D

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

If McKenzie was alive but incredibly under the radar in Australia (which would be amazing in a cricketing country) then she would be the only person still alive who played top class cricket & whose life overlapped with that of W G Grace (1848-1915). However when Eileen Ash (1911-2021) died, that statement was made about her.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tracy said:

A escritora brasileira Cleonice Berardinelli morreu aos 106 anos.

Imagino que em breve teremos poucos notáveis nascidos em 1916. Não parece que alguém morreu desde Arczynski em agosto, e agora Sienra e Berardinelli voltam atrás :morto:

He occupied chair 8 of the Brazilian Academy of Letters

• Like 1

Just now, diego said:

He occupied chair 8 of the Brazilian Academy of Letters

Fascinating!

Who occupies all of the other chairs?

• Haha 3

American architect Victor A. Lundy (Wiki) turns 100 today

sarasotamod on Twitter: "Happy MOD Monday! Coming soon: “Victor Lundy:  Artist Architect” will be published by Princeton Architectural Press on  10/30/18. Reserve yours today! https://t.co/fTYKBexVgZ And here's a  wonderful photo of Victor

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gisooo said:

American architect Victor A. Lundy (Wiki) turns 100 today

sarasotamod on Twitter: "Happy MOD Monday! Coming soon: “Victor Lundy:  Artist Architect” will be published by Princeton Architectural Press on  10/30/18. Reserve yours today! https://t.co/fTYKBexVgZ And here's a  wonderful photo of Victor

Reading a book about himself. 

Thai diplomat and Secretary-General of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) 1984-1986 Phan Wannamethee celebrated his 100th a few days ago:

wannamethee.png.0ca1076e5a85eca40818f52250b2fc50.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Thai diplomat and Secretary-General of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) 1984-1986 Phan Wannamethee celebrated his 100th a few days ago:

wannamethee.png.0ca1076e5a85eca40818f52250b2fc50.png

Another incontinence blanket on display.

On 22/11/2022 at 14:43, Gisooo said:

French philosopher René Schérer (Wiki) turns 100 today!

René Schérer - Wikipedia 

Whoever this dude is, multiple tweets are reporting that he died yesterday.

• Like 4

On 01/02/2023 at 04:54, Ulitzer95 said:

I had long thought that Dieter Gruen (b. 1922) was the last contributor to the Manhattan Project still living, but apparently not.

Harris Mayer (wiki, b. 1921) is still with us. He was in the Possibly Living category on Wiki which is why he was likely off our radars, but there's a 100th birthday article about him here.

Totally forgot that Benjamin Bederson (wiki) was still with us.

So there were at least three living.

But not now, as Bederson has died aged 101.

• Like 5