Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Lou Reed

Possessed by the spirit of Adrian Mole, in case anyone missed it on Twitter and Facebook, here's my Ode To Lou Reed

Lou

Boo

Lou, boo hoo!

Seriously though, sad if not surprising news following his liver transplant earlier in the year, especially as it seemed before it he really was not long for this world. His Manchester Palace Theatre gig (well, more a recital really) in 1992 is still the best sound I've ever witnessed at a concert and, following hushed reverence as the lights went down following the intermission, him walking onto stage to giggles after someone shouted out very loudly in a thick, Northern accent "oh, ey oop, it's Lou!" will remain one of my favourite gig memories. RIP you grumpy old bugger.

• Like 2

Possessed by the spirit of Adrian Mole, in case anyone missed it on Twitter and Facebook, here's my Ode To Lou Reed

Lou

Boo

Lou, boo hoo!

Seriously though, sad if not surprising news following his liver transplant earlier in the year, especially as it seemed before it he really was not long for this world. His Manchester Palace Theatre gig (well, more a recital really) in 1992 is still the best sound I've ever witnessed at a concert and, following hushed reverence as the lights went down following the intermission, him walking onto stage to giggles after someone shouted out very loudly in a thick, Northern accent "oh, ey oop, it's Lou!" will remain one of my favourite gig memories. RIP you grumpy old bugger.

Re the liver transplant thing: David Crosby is several years into a new liver and was on inspired form recently recording a Radio Four show dedicated to his first solo album.

So who's gonna look after Andy now??

• Like 1

RIP ? nah, he didn't want it that way.

111i9eh.png

• Like 1

Of course, he's right....

RIP, Lou! :D

• Like 1

I saw him play at the London palladium in June 1989. I wasn't too impressed with his guitar playing, he only seemed to know 2 chords. However, heroin is a great song, so congrats for that addition to the oeuvre.

I saw him play at the London palladium in June 1989. I wasn't too impressed with his guitar playing, he only seemed to know 2 chords. However, heroin is a great song, so congrats for that addition to the oeuvre.

As he said...

"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

As he said...

"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz."

How about no chords?

Go on, you know you want to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Vy4VRRO30

If we're to believe the Toronto Sun, Reed's doctor claims that Reed, unsurprisingly, died of liver disease.

regards,

Hein

As he said...

How about no chords?

Go on, you know you want to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Vy4VRRO30

Will confess to owning that guaranteed room-clearer on CD. Nuts, and not in a good way.

Can anyone remember when Lou Reed played one song at Wembley playing a headless guitar?

I can't remember whether it was Live Aid or the Nelson Mandela concert...

Can anyone remember when Lou Reed played one song at Wembley playing a headless guitar? I can't remember whether it was Live Aid or the Nelson Mandela concert...
Could be the Mandela concert. I don't recall Lou Reed playing Live Aid.

I don't recall a 'guitarists' thread, so Dick Wagner, former guitarist for Lou Reed can go here.

He died after contracting a lung infection following heart surgery.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/manny-roth-dies/

I suppose this 'could' go in here too...

Manny Roth owned "cafe wha?' where Lou kinda started.

Also the uncle of Dave Lee ..

I don't recall a 'guitarists' thread, so Dick Wagner, former guitarist for Lou Reed can go here.

He died after contracting a lung infection following heart surgery.

Also played on a number of the better Alice Cooper albums, sad news.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Killed by Hep C contracted from injecting heroin with a dirty needle according to this late late newsflash....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5955611/Rock-star-Lou-Reed-killed-hepatitis-C-contracted-dirty-needle-injected-heroin.html

Well, that’s the rock and roll lifestyle for you then...

On 31/07/2014 at 11:48, charon said:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/manny-roth-dies/

I suppose this 'could' go in here too...

Manny Roth owned "cafe wha?' where Lou kinda started.

Also the uncle of Dave Lee ..

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Killed by Hep C contracted from injecting heroin with a dirty needle according to this late late newsflash....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5955611/Rock-star-Lou-Reed-killed-hepatitis-C-contracted-dirty-needle-injected-heroin.html

I saw him in '93 at Wembley as part of the Velvet Underground cash in tour and was front row,inches away from the edge of the stage and got the full on effects of his spittle all over my face. Apart from feeling unusually high as a kite for some strange reason for a few days afterwards,now you tell me I've probably contracted Hepatitis as well?? Thanks a bunch...

Can't get more reliable than a daughter's confirmation.

Bruce Yaw bassist of of Everyman Band who played with Reed in the 1970s, died 12 September:

5 minutes ago, Hosni Mubarak said:

RIP, Lou Reed,

Loved all his songs, life in Mars, space oddity etc

I preferred freak me. Another level's cover was shite compared to Lou reeds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_engineer said:

I preferred freak me. Another level's cover was shite compared to Lou reeds. 

I like your taste, Engineer.  Yes another level were very bad, I was more into 5ive and A1, Lou was not a patch on any of those lot. 

• Like 1