Red Flag

Monty Python

Cleese says he's looking forward to dying

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleese beat the others in the death stakes, there's more of a morbid/glass half full quality to him and his financial problems won't have helped his levels of stress. Idle is a party animal, but not as bad as Michael Winner etc. Gilliam and Palin could go on for ages, the first because he has a passion for his work and a humour about everything, the second because his levels of physical fitness will help a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cleese beat the others in the death stakes, there's more of a morbid/glass half full quality to him and his financial problems won't have helped his levels of stress. Idle is a party animal, but not as bad as Michael Winner etc. Gilliam and Palin could go on for ages, the first because he has a passion for his work and a humour about everything, the second because his levels of physical fitness will help a lot.

Yeah, I think you're right about his morbid nature and stress levels but he's also just being a bit melodramatic cos, y'know, that's how some old people get attention. Still looks fairly good. But my immediate reaction to the story was simply "good, now you how I feel when it's X-mas time and the family have got Python on the TV and they're saying all the lines along with it......."

Yeah, I think you're right about his morbid nature and stress levels but he's also just being a bit melodramatic cos, y'know, that's how some old people get attention. Still looks fairly good. But I must say my immediate reaction to the story was simply "good, now you how I feel when it's X-mas time and the family have got Python on the TV and they're saying all the lines along with it......."

In fairness though A Fish Called Wanda is one of the funniest things ever, I bet if someone gave him enough of a clout round the ear and told him to stop feeling sorry for himself he could write a half-decent follow up (no Fierce Creatures won't do), or perhaps even just a modern remake.

What would be really funny (though it won't happen) would be a semi-coherent, like maybe recovering from a stroke, Basil Fawlty in a care home where Sybil's visits would wind him up to explosions of anger and he'd occasionally go out for walks where he'd pass outlets for the highly successful Devon local coffee chain run by Manuel. Cleese could let rip in all manner of politically incorrect directions with the excuse that his character's mind was damaged.

• Like 1

1. Monty Python's Terry Gilliam, Director of 'Brazil,' Dies at XXX
    Variety-16 minutes ago
    Director Terry Gilliam, the only American member of the Monty Python comedy troupe and an Oscar nominee for the screenplay to his film “Brazil,” has died.

Suspect this is someone getting carried away, as the link just leads to Variety's front page... (plus the XXX for the age)

Listening to Palin on 5live the now, and watched a recent but on him, I get the feeling he will be next.

Oldened, wizened, a lot weaker voice etc , I can't get it out my head he doesn't have long.

Palin's on the BBC News Channel now, if you fancy a watch.

Nah, I drove past Brahann on Monday , that's the sign.

Actress Rita Davies who played several small roles in the original TV series as well as the Historian's Wife in The Holy Grail has died. http://www.impulsecompany.co.uk/scott-s-blog/

Formerly married to Ian MacNaughton who was associated with Python, she also had roles in Grange Hill, House of Anubis, Brideshead Revisited and The Inbetweeners on TV, and The Da Vinci Code on film.

Argument Secretary:

• Like 1

Report here of the death of Fred Tomlinson: https://twitter.com/rufusjunior/status/758279990215643136

Was the choral director for and appeared in Monty Python and co-wrote The Lumberjack Song. Also did vocal direction for Ken Dodd and The Two Ronnies and even appeared as a pianist in Only Fools And Horses.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1645943/

Report here of the death of Fred Tomlinson: https://twitter.com/rufusjunior/status/758279990215643136

Was the choral director for and appeared in Monty Python and co-wrote The Lumberjack Song. Also did vocal direction for Ken Dodd and The Two Ronnies and even appeared as a pianist in Only Fools And Horses.

It took more than one person to write The Lumberjack Song?

It took more than one person to write The Lumberjack Song?

Yeah, but they never wanted to a songwriter, they wanted to be a lumberjackl; leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia etc. etc.

The BBC describe his condition as a severe form oof dementia.Trying to find the life expectancy.

The BBC describe his condition as a severe form oof dementia.Trying to find the life expectancy.

The prognosis for life in a patient with aphasia depends on the cause of the aphasia. A left hemisphere glioblastoma may be associated with a very short life expectancy, whereas a minor stroke may have an excellent prognosis. It is the underlying pathology, not the aphasia itself, that determines prognosis.

There have been whispers about Jones's health for some time now though...

Note - aphasia is often reversible, Primary progressive aphasia is not. If caused by cancer or a serious stroke, the outlook is very grim.

• Like 1

He's one of the six main members of Monty Python. Definitely a possibility for future deathlists

He's one of the six main members of Monty Python.

Blimey, they kept that one quiet!

• Like 5

The prognosis for life in a patient with aphasia depends on the cause of the aphasia. A left hemisphere glioblastoma may be associated with a very short life expectancy, whereas a minor stroke may have an excellent prognosis. It is the underlying pathology, not the aphasia itself, that determines prognosis.

There have been whispers about Jones's health for some time now though...

Note - aphasia is often reversible, Primary progressive aphasia is not. If caused by cancer or a serious stroke, the outlook is very grim.

He had bowel cancer in 2007 - and 'tis a cunning scunner when it comes back.

Aye, Jones is fresh blood for the top 50 hereabouts, surely

Yeah, "fresh" blood for the Drop 40 (hint...).

It would be sad to see such a great man fade away like that.

If he's going to go, why not in style, like splitting a railway carriage with his nose?

• Like 5

Just been researching PPA sounds utterly horrendous as apparently you are still aware you cant communicate properly until the disease gets to its late stages.

• Like 1