Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

2014 DDP Dumping Ground & Salvage Lot

Decided not to go for Kate Granger because I'm not convinced she'll get the obit and I'm already carrying one risky pick. Hopefully won't cost me like Bonnie Franklin and Lisa Lynch last year

Amongst the others I've decided not to go with are Prince Philip, Castro, Brian Cant, Jim Bowen, Ali and Pratchett. I've also dropped Greaves, Barry Chuckle, Adler and Assad - I've gone more conservative as I've become more competitive in this

Bamber could end up like Peter Arundell who only got a mention on the Autosports forums and a death notice on thisisannouncements.co.uk despite being mentioned in 3 other obituaries a month or so before he died on the BBC site.

Ah, well, I can probably reveal the truth about this now.

As you know I have a link to motor racing and knew Arundell was very ill. I also knew that the man who supplies the motor racing obituaries to the Telegraph had one prepared (he doesn't for everyone, which is why I'm dubious about Bamber). So, having confirmed that, BOOM - in he goes as my joker. So, imagine my surprise when there was nothing. I only found out in late 2011 as to why. Arundell didn't want the death publicised - not for a while until the funeral had taken place. As it happened, he had a last minute change of heart as to former colleagues which is why it was announced in Autosport forums but that's why there was nothing in the press, local or national.

I did write to the Guardian, Times and Independent offering to write the obit for submission (due to my work in racing, I could've got someone to vouch for me), but I wasn't aware of this caveat when submitting.

Hence, I've rarely taken the risk again even though I know some drivers are struggling health-wise.

Dropping Clinton...male variety, just don't think he'll peg it this year. Money buys good medicine imho.

With 10 minutes left to go... Heres a list of every person on my shortlist that I did not pick

Akkineni Nageswara Rao

Robert Mugabe

Ingvar Kamprad

Jimmy Hill

Árpád Pusztai

Alice Munro

Jacques Chirac

Michael Parkinson

David Prowse

Sue Landske

Clive James

Joe McGinniss

John McVie

Fred DeLuca

Sandy Jardine

Pat Rice

Randy Travis

Candye Kane

Lisa Brigden

Dean Bailey

Tito Vilanova

Joost van der Westhuizen

Helen Fawkes

Jen Arnold

Jenna Jameson

Ashley Kurpiel

Kate Granger

Julie Chang

Michael Schumacher

Here is who I had 21-40

Chespirito

Tony Benn

Saul Zaentz

Tito Vilanova

Helen Fawkes

Peter Robbins

Casey Kasem

Lynda Bellingham

Mike Porcaro

Lee Kuan Yew

Vojislav Seselj

Henry McCullough

Jimmy Hill

Peter Maxwell Davies

Lord Tanamo

Chris Woodhead

Liz Dawn

Bobby Heanan

Sandy Jardine

Alan Young

Dropped from OoO's list:

Amiri Baraka

Michael Schumacher

Michael Sata (ill health is likely, but not reliable sources)

Clive James

Kenneth Cope (seems solid enough for now)

Glenn Britt

Darren Daulton (obit reasons mainly)

Paul Revere

Doc Neeson

Fred deLuca (has had bone marrow transplant, should be okay)

Ritchii Kara

Fidel Castro

plus those mentioned in the original post

Calyampudi Radhakrishna Rao

Kenneth Arrow

Mikhail Gorbachev (diabetes is a nasty, nasty disease, but I don't think he'll go next year).

Lee Kuan Yew

Piet de Jong

Reinhard Hardegan

Robert Mugabe

Lee Teng Hui

Yasuhiro Nakasone (95, but we must remember that Japanese tend to have the longest lifespans).

Michael Schumacher

Richard von Weizsäcker

Walter Scheel

Walter Munk

Joachim Rønneberg

I've had the nasty experience of having many of my picks in a previous year who ended up dying the next year though. Sometimes I feel that my selection process is really too haphazard given how often this happens.

I was seriously considering putting George Leader and William Scranton on last year, but I couldn't find any UK obits on them.

One uncertainty is people in their late 90s/early 100s who are in good health. At that age, healthy people can go suddenly at any time.

I also admit that the Nobel Prize theme team often discourages me from going after a lot of the older Nobel Laureates.

From the DDP team, at the last minute, I dropped Stuart Hall. I was going to go with him right until just before I hit send, and swapped him out for the other complete bastard Ian Watkins.

Liz Dawn (think she has a year yet in her - the pacemaker surgery seems to have rejuvenated her yet again)

Mike Burney (just a hunch he'll stay around)

Kim Kyoung-Hui (ditto - and no way she'll get executed, so it'd have to be her ailments that kill her which I don't think they will just yet)

David Norris (may receive a transplant, and even if not the tumor's severely reduced)

Albert Reynolds (went out in the final shuffle - it was him or Kasem and I picked Casey)

Fergie Frederiksen (very nearly went on it but I wanted to make a spot for Rev. Graham, so may as well take off an obit-dubious pick and he's worth less than Kara)

Tony Benn (didn't fancy him over other oldies)

Amiri Baraka

Suchrita Sen (as I've made room for Schumacher I didn't want any other intensive-care-at-last-minute picks, and Baraka looks like he's recovering. Sen still could go but at least I have her on Deathrace if nothing else)

Pat Rice (may regret this one if it's a case of optimistic over realistic but I saw an update saying "the cancer tumor" was removed so I'm assuming it's just recovery for him)

And there are others I dropped in the last month but can't think of immediately.

From the DDP team, at the last minute, I dropped Stuart Hall. I was going to go with him right until just before I hit send, and swapped him out for the other complete bastard Ian Watkins.

Funny enough i had watkins and hall on my list at one point then decided the odds of both of them killing themselves in prison is unlikely so i dropped watkins and went with stuart hall.I see not many people chose the rolf harris gamble . I do think there is a good chance of him offing himself along with his wife before the trial more than stuart hall or Ian watkins will kill themselves in prison though.

Tim Curry because I couldn't bring myself to put him in, ditto G*ne W1lder. (sorry, superstitious about writing his name down)

I left off Jill Murphy because her cancer seems to be in the past. I'd heard John Stride was in hospital but couldn't find out why so didn't risk it. I was thinking about Monty Lister (retired broadcaster, one of the first people to interview the Beetles) but info is scarce on him. He was still in good health in 2012. I also dropped April Ashley as she has been doing lots of interviews lately.

Some of the other late drops from my team that haven't been mentioned so far.

Eileen Davies, mother of post-emocore kiddyfiddler Ian Watkins, has some significant health issues with her kidney or something.

Anna Hazare, Indian social activist who is actually a guy with a stupid name. Generic "ill-health" rumours swimming around.

That guy who got married while in hospital over Christmas and Sharon Osbourne gave him some money. This year's Jo Bryant, surely?

Completely dropped Liz Dawn for this year's picks - she seems to be battling away, good on her. :hatsoff:

The true mark of a deadpooler, spending bits of New Year's Eve trying to work out how famous various CCM recording artistes actually are.

Carman, you mean?

He was dropped, like Jim Bamber as I don't think the obit's gonna be forthcoming.

Carman and some other "The Lord Is Good And All" broad from Australia who has just walked head first into tit cancer as well.

From his Faecesbook page

Carman Licciardello

21 hours ago

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS:

Well lets start with the bad news first. Which isn't so bad but it's a lot to deal with. I am officially 1/2 way through treatment. 4 months in and 4 months to go. The middle part is the hardest. I just had the heavy dose of Chemo with stem cell replacement on Dec 5th and I'm just now starting to feel normal. But tomorrow I go in for the dreaded bone biopsy and on the 16th another heavy dose of chemo and stem cell. Second time around is harder, fevers, shakes, night sweats ect, because your body is weakened. So this is gong to be a bumpy ride folks. But its all a part of the fight to get to the other side of this lake of fire. And arrive cancer free. So actually I'm encouraged. It's funny but I haven't gotten depressed one day through all this. I've had lot's of bad news come my way that I had to take a minute to digest, but overall my spirits are up and surprisingly I've never been as optimistic in my life as I am today.

The good news is that the tour is starting in May

So bone biopsy today :skill2:

Latest from Carman.

Sounds brutal.

EMERGENCY PRAYER NEEDED: I'm going through my second neutropenic stage after the second round of Melpholine (heavy chemo) Perperspective: This dose of chemo is 20 times greater than what I first had in September. There are 6 steps. 1+2 light chemo doses 10%, 3 weeks apart -but enough to wreck your system. It first mangles your soft cells that feed your Hair, sense of smell and taste, lining of stomach. That's why you see people lose thier hair right away. But when you get the heavy dose, the dose that wipes out the Cancer, you get really really sick. During that time I literally bring my quilt and pillows in the bathroom and set up shop by the John. I feel like Walter White in the Breaking Bad tv show. While Phil just sits next to making funny soft cat noises. I get too weak to even go back and forth from the bed. But there's nothing in my stomach so I just do violent dry heaves for hours. It wears you out so much your stomach feels like a huge black and blue mark. I try to drink water but my body rejects it - I can't eat more than a bite of food before I start dry heaving again. I'm a dishrag .I'm completely dehydrated, dropping 15 pounds in 3 days. By the time I get back to the bed I'll sleep for 15 -16 hours. Well the first dose wiped out the Myeloma cancer. There are no tests like PET, Blood and Bone biopsy, or EKG's or MRI where multiple myeloma shows up. But don't cheer yet. It's still in there and in a couple years it will come flooding back with an evil vengeance. So we are hoping after the Cancer that's there, but doesn't show up will also be gone too. And it's brutal -Right now I'm totally wiped out - stomach feels like a big huge bruise. Any bite of food I eat bubbles up in my stomach and the residue comes back into my mouth. So I walk around with a an empty soda bottle to spit in. I spit every 20-30 seconds for weeks. I'm shivering and can't control it. I'm at the hospital with all my heavy winter clothes on plus 4 blankets and I'm still shaking. My concern is if keep blowing my nose and coughing up junk like someone with a flu, in my state, the flu, a cold or a simple virus will kill me in a matter of days. So please, if you have any small desire to say a 1 minute prayer - God will hear it , I will feel it and I will let you know what happen's. But I'm still gonna make that tour in May. I spoke it into existence and God is faithful to honor my faith - but right now that tour seems like it's a million miles away and on someone else's calendar. I could really use a word right now. If it's 2-10 words I'll read it. Anything longer than that, I just don't have the mental focus and will have to skip it till later. So what's the one word or phrase you think I should be repeating over and over again. I desparaty need it, so who's got one tonight ?

Guest Guest

after reading that i've decided if i ever get cancer I'm going to refuse all treatment .. :mellow:

And now he is looking iffy.........

EMERGENCY UPDATE: I wish I had better news but for the first time though this whole journey. I'm worried - really worried. I mentioned before that if you get an infection during the neutropenic stage, with my immune system completely gone that it could be fatal. Well, I don't know how or where but I got an infection. They will be admitting me into the hospital for 24/7 care. I'll have a virus of some sort. I don't mean to be fatalistic but if for some reason I don't make it out of here, I want you all to know what great friends you've been to me and how much I've loved every minute of being on the stage ministering. This whole situation is making be cry. Thinking about never seeing you again. I hope things change but I can't even lift my head up, and the wheelchair me everywhere. Oh well, at least I got the record finished : ))

One from the 2013 dumping ground:

Jerry Miller is the grandfather of The Jonas Brothers. That's it. I think there's a 40% chance that that would mean his forthcoming death from liver cancer would get him a Daily Mail sendoff, but I'm not sure.

Dead, although for some reason its much bigger news in Brazil than it is anywhere else.

EMERGENCY UPDATE: I wish I had better news but for the first time though this whole journey. I'm worried - really worried. I mentioned before that if you get an infection during the neutropenic stage, with my immune system completely gone that it could be fatal. Well, I don't know how or where but I got an infection. They will be admitting me into the hospital for 24/7 care. I'll have a virus of some sort. I don't mean to be fatalistic but if for some reason I don't make it out of here, I want you all to know what great friends you've been to me and how much I've loved every minute of being on the stage ministering. This whole situation is making be cry. Thinking about never seeing you again. I hope things change but I can't even lift my head up, and the wheelchair me everywhere. Oh well, at least I got the record finished : ))

Who is this? :scratchhead:

Who is this? :scratchhead:

Sorry it referred to Carman from 2 posts previous.

Since then the cunt has made a BELIEVE IN THE LORD!!! mirac recovery :(

HEALTH UPDATE for TUES. the 28th It looks like the sun may have just popped his head out to say hello. The doctors where just in my room and we had a long talk. They assured me that what I'm going through as a cancer patient is some most all patients go through at some point. It's part of the process. The problem with me was that I developed some sort of virus and they couldn't identify it until the fevers dropped or broke. So I was admitted with 104 temp, shaking chills and my thumb getting ready to type as fast as it could and post on Facebook. Cause I knew once this got to these "Prayer Savages" I have on my team - the Devil was facing a series New Jersey Beat down. They could not stop the fevers, the lowest they would go was 102. So I put on my 3 time UFC Champion and friend "Royce Gracie" t-shirt I got for Christmas, just for attitude - I must have slept 15 hours and when I woke up I was soaking wet. My pillows, clothes blankets were drenched - I called the nurse cause I thought I knocked over a pitcher of water that I always have within reach. Everybody scrambled to redress everything and re-take my vital signs. And when they did my temperature, it was 98.6 - the fever had broke all over the room. I guess God put me in a deep sleep like Adam and pulled out a surprise. Personally ..... I would have rather woke up next to Eve than a sweaty t-shirt, but the fever was more important at the time (ugh). The Doctor told me I will be released on Thursday and home in time to watch the UFC Championship on Saturday. That was the last most difficult time I had to come through in this 8 months of treatment. I've been through 5 months of the most challenging stuff ( oh lets just call it hell, it's been 5 months of hell) but in 3 weeks from now I'll be back in the gym lifting weights and running the treadmill - because the cancer will be gone. Thank you all once again. In more ways than one this is your tour, your record, your outreach. I was down for the count and preparing my personal affairs when you came flooding in with your encouraging posts, your finances and your prayers. You all were the ones who "willed" me back to life. So will I be on stage, on tour in the best shape of my life ? As Rocky would say "absolutely".

The one where he said it looked like he was shuffling off got about 29,000 likes :D

https://www.facebook.com/CarmanLicciardello

Who is Carman?

This will get filled up more near or past January, but I've had to cut - at a self-imposed deadline a number of people - 76 potential picks down to 40 for the one-month-to-go-deadline.

So here's an alternate DDP entry list of 20 of those who I'm sure will either die but had to drop for tactical or obit doubt reasons, and others that I've just got a hunch that they'll survive***;

**** (if some of the below announce terminal cancer diagnoses or similiar in the next 4 weeks, I reserve the right to repick them)

I wonder how these 20 will end up comparing with the picked 20.

{...]

Adolfo Suarez

[...]

Adolfo Suarez is close to death, according to his son...

"The time horizon we are looking at is 48 hours but we are in God's hands"

Guest Brian

I wonder how these 20 will end up comparing with the picked 20.

Mario Oriani-Ambrosini

Casey Kasem

Superstar Billy Graham

Ronnie Biggs

Naomi Thomas

Anto Finnegan

Clive Derby-Lewis

Chick WIllis

King Bhumibol

Lynda Bellingham

Clark Datchler

Robert Schuller

Bobby Heenan

Henry McCullough

Jimmy Hill

Adolfo Suarez

Joe McGinniss

Tony Dorsett

Terry Biddlecombe

Fernando Ricksen

Clive Derby-Lewis has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

http://mg.co.za/arti...nal-lung-cancer

Here is who I had 21-40

Chespirito

Tony Benn

Saul Zaentz

Tito Vilanova

Helen Fawkes

Peter Robbins

Casey Kasem

Lynda Bellingham

Mike Porcaro

Lee Kuan Yew

Vojislav Seselj

Henry McCullough

Jimmy Hill

Peter Maxwell Davies

Lord Tanamo

Chris Woodhead

Liz Dawn

Bobby Heanan

Sandy Jardine

Alan Young

4 hits from the people I passed on including 2nd,3rd and 4th alternate and only 1 from my main DDP team this year. It's getting close to throwing in the towel time.

With 10 minutes left to go... Heres a list of every person on my shortlist that I did not pick

Akkineni Nageswara Rao

Robert Mugabe

Ingvar Kamprad

Jimmy Hill

Árpád Pusztai

Alice Munro

Jacques Chirac

Michael Parkinson

David Prowse

Sue Landske

Clive James

Joe McGinniss

John McVie

Fred DeLuca

Sandy Jardine

Pat Rice

Randy Travis

Candye Kane

Lisa Brigden

Dean Bailey

Tito Vilanova

Joost van der Westhuizen

Helen Fawkes

Jen Arnold

Jenna Jameson

Ashley Kurpiel

Kate Granger

Julie Chang

Michael Schumacher

I'm in that boat with you too, CC. 5 of my passes have died and only 1 of my picks has died. But I still think I've got a really good team. Don't know what's keeping my picks held up so long... Maybe they get plenty of love.