Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

I think I'll send the first one again...

Well, I've sent 2 batches so far, covering 120 teams...

Out of interest in terms of number of entries how does this compare to this point last year?

Yeah, I'm in! :party:

Well, I've sent 2 batches so far, covering 120 teams...

Out of interest in terms of number of entries how does this compare to this point last year?

Hard to tell at this stage. I'll have to look back at the email archives and see how many were coming in this time last year...

I live in the US and some of my picks may not have an obit in Britian, what then?

I believe its traditional that you piss and moan about it for months, write letters to various national publications demanding an obituary, eventually come to terms with your loss and then choose more carefully the next year.

Oh, but you never get the points.

• Like 1

I live in the US and some of my picks may not have an obit in Britian, what then?

Hey, buddy, I'm sorry dude but look at this way, Jack, you just gotta be sure to pick guys who's famous enough to get obits here, son!!

Ok seriously, that's not as limiting as it sounds. Or even as hard to gauge as it sounds. You just have to play it by ear. Sometimes your NFL players or whatever will be famous enough to get an obit here (I mean, obviously someone like John Madden). And their chances increase if they die in tragic circumstances (which, obviously, happens a lot). But generally they probably won't. And don't, like, expect former state governors or anything like that to get obits as a matter of routine. Strangely a lot of wrestlers will get obits because The Sun covers WWE because there's lots of inbred morons like me who grew up watching WWF and they cater to us. Although I don't watch that boring bullshit any more, a lot of people do. But it's generally best to limit it to musicians and actors and high-level politicians, and really well-known academics/writers/authors because generally we don't give a shit about your sports. And don't forget your criminals obviously, serial killers/rapists who are fairly famous will have a good chance of getting a report here.

• Like 1

Hey, buddy, I'm sorry dude but look at this way, Jack, you just gotta be sure to pick guys who's famous enough to get obits here, son!!

Ok seriously, that's not as limiting as it sounds. Or even as hard to gauge as it sounds. You just have to play it by ear. Sometimes your NFL players or whatever will be famous enough to get an obit here (I mean, obviously someone like John Madden). And their chances increase if they die in tragic circumstances (which, obviously, happens a lot). But generally they probably won't. And don't, like, expect former state governors or anything like that to get obits as a matter of routine. Strangely a lot of wrestlers will get obits because The Sun covers WWE because there's lots of inbred morons like me who grew up watching WWF and they cater to us. Although I don't watch that boring bullshit any more, a lot of people do. But it's generally best to limit it to musicians and actors and high-level politicians, and really well-known academics/writers/authors because generally we don't give a shit about your sports. And don't forget your criminals obviously, serial killers/rapists who are fairly famous will have a good chance of getting a report here.

Thanks Doc...I think my list will be pretty good. If no one on it shows up in a British Obit then oh well its not like I am out anything is it. I am not running a Theme list so I have a mix of a little of everything.

Side Note Off Topic:

Are all sites like this overseas?

I dunno, I have never looked, but you may be able to find a US friendly Dead Pool

Thanks Doc...I think my list will be pretty good. If no one on it shows up in a British Obit then oh well its not like I am out anything is it. I am not running a Theme list so I have a mix of a little of everything.

Side Note Off Topic:

No problem. I'm just trying to annoy TMIB by getting as many people as possible to enter so he has to deal with all the entries, actually. :D

Also don't forget "special cases" like Harold Camping. Obviously if someone obscure does something particularly entertaining ridicule worthy like predicting the end of the world, of course his death will be reported here because that kind of Ameritrash greatly appeals to Britons' unwarranted sense of superiority. I think in recent years it's got a lot easier for US people to play this game because the Daily Mail will literally report anything. I think I've seen a lot of American sports players or actors deaths covered there that I didn't see anywhere else. But obviously you can't expect every last thing to be reported.

Side Note Off Topic:

No problem. I'm just trying to annoy TMIB by getting as many people as possible to enter so he has to deal with all the entries, actually. :D

Also don't forget "special cases" like Harold Camping. Obviously if someone obscure does something particularly entertaining ridicule worthy like predicting the end of the world, of course his death will be reported here because that kind of Ameritrash greatly appeals to Britons' unwarranted sense of superiority. I think in recent years it's got a lot easier for US people to play this game because the Daily Mail will literally report anything. I think I've seen a lot of American sports players or actors deaths covered there that I didn't see anywhere else. But obviously you can't expect every last thing to be reported.

Maybe we should all club together to set up a mainstream newspaper that obits every dead person we can possibly think of?

Maybe we should all club together to set up a mainstream newspaper that obits every dead person we can possibly think of?

Well, there are many things wrong with that idea. Firstly, just the idea that I (or anyone else here) would club together with you on anything. And it wouldn't really be a mainstream newspaper if its only purpose was to report all deaths. Then it would just be Death Weekly or whatever. Plus, even if it was somehow mainstream it would probably be disqualified from consideration just because it was deliberately set up to cheat the DDP.

And also, unless you're The Mail, running a newspaper these days is about as economically viable as trying to sell a self-help book in Liverpool called "Getting Over Tragedies".

• Like 1

Well, there are many things wrong with that idea. Firstly, just the idea that I (or anyone else here) would club together with you on anything. And it wouldn't really be a mainstream newspaper if its only purpose was to report all deaths. Then it would just be Death Weekly or whatever. Plus, even if it was somehow mainstream it would probably be disqualified from consideration just because it was deliberately set up to cheat the DDP.

And also, unless you're The Mail, running a newspaper these days is about as economically viable as trying to sell a self-help book in Liverpool called "Getting Over Tragedies".

You're either deliberately being pedantic or missed my joke. Although I'll have to use the self-help book in liverpool line, I'll keep it in my ammo.

FYI I never said it's sole purpose was to report deaths of dead people just that it would obit every person we could think of.

I dunno, I have never looked, but you may be able to find a US friendly Dead Pool

The Rotten Deadpool (world's biggest I think) limits picks to a list of notable people which is very US centric. Rotten Ali has come (almost) as close as anyone to the dead pooling equivalent of first to conquer Everest which will come when someone pulls off a ten out of ten sweep on the RDP.

And just the other day a guy called Turtleman3 became the sixth person to get 9 out of 10 on RDP.

The Rotten Deadpool (world's biggest I think) limits picks to a list of notable people which is very US centric. Rotten Ali has come (almost) as close as anyone to the dead pooling equivalent of first to conquer Everest which will come when someone pulls off a ten out of ten sweep on the RDP.

More then anything I would say it's Us Politics Centric. They have in their database district court judges and state attorney generals who in the Us have no shot of obiting outside of their home state. For things like Wrestlers,Musicians and Reality tv personalities there are limited selections and people who would easily get US and UK obit's who they do not list.

177 teams registered so far...

177 teams registered so far...

I sent mine in, but not sure if I have MSN now.

Agonising over my selections though I've got one death or glory theme team sorted, another theme team of plodders and a bit of form studying to do on the main Carkers Convention line up.

Yes, their list is disappointingly limited. Supposedly they are open to suggestions, but my proposal that Henry Cecil be added was ignored. They don't even have a decent list of royals - it wasn't possible to pick Prince Friso or Princess Lilian, for instance.

Another thing worth noting with US-noteworthy who aren't really that well known in the UK is that if they're big in the US but complete nobodies in the UK, they're still likely to get a Reuters UK nod. It even tends to provide obits for long-serving US congresspeople that wouldn't stand a chance of obitting otherwise.