Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

Just sent mine, same team names as last time.

Just sent mine, same team names as last time.

As did I.

regards,

Hein

Still haven't done mine, and I'm working all day tomorrow so it will definitely be a last minute thing. In my opinion, picking Schumacher is a waste of time - even if he pegs it, every man and his dog will have picked him so what's the point, it won't give you any advantage, when you could use the slot for someone much more obscure.........

It's a pretty heroic effort, well done TMIB. Have my meaningless token of appreciation, and if we ever meet, I'll buy you a pint. Half pint. If it's not too over-priced. Okay, a kit-kat.

My main team will be reaching you very near the deadline. Do you mind if I send you some theme teams now (or early tomorrow) and send my main team in later?

I'm in too.

Not expecting great things this year though.

Actually I have just quickly knocked mine up and will send it tomorrow - I reckon I have at least 2 and possibly 3 uniques. You may as well all go home now :D

In my opinion, picking Schumacher is a waste of time - even if he pegs it, every man and his dog will have picked him so what's the point, it won't give you any advantage,

But if he pegs it and you don't pick him then you are trailing every man and his dog instead of tied with .

In my opinion, picking Schumacher is a waste of time - even if he pegs it, every man and his dog will have picked him so what's the point, it won't give you any advantage, when you could use the slot for someone much more obscure.........

All my obscure picks inconsiderately fell off the perch a few weeks too early. :glare:

It's a pretty heroic effort, well done TMIB. Have my meaningless token of appreciation, and if we ever meet, I'll buy you a pint. Half pint. If it's not too over-priced. Okay, a kit-kat.

My main team will be reaching you very near the deadline. Do you mind if I send you some theme teams now (or early tomorrow) and send my main team in later?

Whenever you like...

Blackie, sorry to ask but....

Would Schumacher get unnatural death points? Prince Friso didnt and arguably should. If Schumacher isnt eligible for extra points it means I may think twice before submitting the team tonight

Good point Oc. I'm not sure why I didn't give the points bonus. Perhaps it was the time factor (18 months between accident and death).

I'll cogitate on the legality of this and let you know soon...

EDIT: now I know why having fully woken up and this is an important point to bear in mind:

Friso wasn't awarded bonus unnatural points because the accident occurred in 2012 (February), a previous year of the competition. Now I am of the the belief that an unnatural points bonus is given because it is unexpected (Murder, fall, suicide etc). If Michael Shumacher dies tonight (before 23:00 GMT to be precise) if would have been as a result of a skiing accident that was totally unexpected and therefore Pass Me The Mike gets the points (Age (10) + Unique (3) + Unnatural (3) = 16 points).

Teams are coming in with the knowledge of Shumacher's accident/coma in much the same way Death Row prisoners were picked. Should Schumi make it to 2014 and then cark it, then it would have as a result of injuries sustained in the previous year of the competition. Of course the factor here is of time. Friso's accident was months before 2013 began, whereas with Schumacher, it is merely days.

I think it would go against the spirit of the game to awarded "bonus" points.

The only previous precedent in DDP history makes the same point. On 25th December 2007, boxer Yo-Sam Choi was injured and in a coma as a result of a fight. He died on 2nd January 2008 and no bonus points were awarded. (and you were in charge, Oc!)

So in summary, If Schumacher died before 23:00 GMT (00:00 local time) bonus points are awarded. After, they are not...

(bangs gavel) Case dismissed!

330 teams now registered...

Good stuff. Although I think your wording's a little off, basically it's fair. I wouldn't say it was "totally unexpected" or anything because some of us knew about his risk-taking from the previous bike accident where he broke his neck. It's not so much "unexpected" as "not certain to happen" or "not known to be going to happen". No-one would have said Amy Winehouse's death was "totally unexpected" but it would got "accidental/shocking death" points.

Much appreciated MIB, sounds like a full time job.

Good stuff. Although I think your wording's a little off, basically it's fair. I wouldn't say it was "totally unexpected" or anything because some of us knew about his risk-taking from the previous bike accident where he broke his neck. It's not so much "unexpected" as "not certain to happen" or "not known to be going to happen". No-one would have said Amy Winehouse's death was "totally unexpected" but it would got "accidental/shocking death" points.

True. If you are skiing off-piste at high speed, it wouldn't be a massive surprise should you crack your head on a rock. Not likely to happen or something, yes...

Figured the Schumacher press conference last hour is probably the final info that will be given this year, so I just sent my team in right now and hope I picked the right way on him .

Doing my final tidy up on my side now, will be sending in before I go and "enjoy" NYE.

Doing my final tidy up on my side now, will be sending in before I go and "enjoy" NYE.

Good, you deserve it. Well done, mate!

Well, I'm in.

Although I won in 2010, 2013 was easily my best year yet, so let's see if I can build on that - with no Michael Schumacher either.

submitted mine yesterday, same name as usual.

Well, I'm in.

Although I won in 2010, 2013 was easily my best year yet, so let's see if I can build on that - with no Michael Schumacher either.

No Schumacher for me either, though I did enter my team in on the 20th.

Never done this before, but just submitted a team! No research involved, mostly just old people or ones I've seen mentioned on here plus a couple of random names that popped into my head. Maybe need to put a bit more thought in before entering next year!

Submitted my team just now. While I'm suspecting Schumacher will pull through, he's on my list as I don't want to risk missing out on those points if he doesn't. Don't think I'll rank as highly as I did for my debut (when you get down to it there are much less easy picks ala Cliburn or Cecil) but so long as it's a decent enough followup I'll be content.

I can't even remember my own team's members so I'll have to wait for it to come out to see what I think of it.