Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

Thanks for everybody's thanks. And thanks to a few tweaks in the actual format of recording teams and their picks, this has been by far the smoothest nomination period yet. And partly that is due to teams actually been sent in properly, so I'm thanking all you guys for making my task a little easier!

Thanks MIB for thanking everyone for their thanks. In fact....

Ariel Sharon is my first ever DDP hit. And only on 11th January too. Well, if he'd waited two days there would have been a 2 point bonus for the 13th of the month, but oh well.

Great stuff, literally a last minute pick. Was still deciding who to pick with less than 10 minutes left to go and sent the email off 4 minutes before deadline. :2guns:

• Like 1

I wonder if Ariel Sharon is the most popular pick for this year. More than 80 teams selected him. I guess we'll find out once the Drop Forty thingy is updated.

Zsa Zsa is number one by some considerable distance. I looked/checked personally.

Guest Mrs Death Trip

I've got two picks now; Ariel Sharon and Paul Goggins. Could I be about to take the lead?

Zsa Zsa is number one by some considerable distance. I looked/checked personally.

She is indeed. A landslide win...

Hoping that Felix Glenny gets an obit that qualifies. Huffington Post UK is the best that exists so far. Come on Mirror!!!

Hoping that Felix Glenny gets an obit that qualifies. Huffington Post UK is the best that exists so far. Come on Mirror!!!

Huff Post UK qualifies under the new rules for 2014. You got your 12 points.

Huff Post UK qualifies under the new rules for 2014. You got your 12 points.

And, in any case, the tastefully headlined "Bed Wed Dad Dies" on p20 of today's Sun also covers it. So that's #1 on my HPDP also sorted for a scoring obit. Wasn't sure myself how much coverage he'd get, hence picking Wilko as the joker, but respect to those who had the nerve to double their (now confirmed) points on this one.

Site has been updated. Drop Forty is up, for anyone else who was interested in seeing it.

I thought the Sam Simon one was rather funny. Typo notwithstanding.

I bet I spelt animated wrong!

I bet I spelt animated wrong!

Yes. "Could be less animiated by the end of the year"

Sounds like something medical actually, so there's every chance he could.

Impressive Schumacher pun

If he copped it before the Drop 40 went up, then that would have been the headline. I'm not sure he's going to go just yet...

I had to tell my 8 year old son off today (with a slight smirk) for visiting the DDP website at school to, in his words, "see how my Dad's teams are doing." It wouldn't be so bad but, as a school governor, I'm expecting a sarky (if not slightly concerned) comment from the head at our next meeting.

Still, if they will teach kids to use the t'internet at school what do they expect..? :-/

• Like 2

Just counted up and got 16 uniques across two of my teams. Including some people who I thought would warrent wider picks Judith Kerr, Michael Bond, Roy Dotrice and James Watson

I had to tell my 8 year old son off today (with a slight smirk) for visiting the DDP website at school to, in his words, "see how my Dad's teams are doing." It wouldn't be so bad but, as a school governor, I'm expecting a sarky (if not slightly concerned) comment from the head at our next meeting.

Still, if they will teach kids to use the t'internet at school what do they expect..? :-/

You should highlight the educational benefit of the Deathlist in ensuring that the youth of today know the significance of figures such as Denis Healy, Jimmy Carter and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Only not the last one....

• Like 1

I thought about going for Roy Dotrice but I knew someone else had mentioned him here so I thought it wouldn't be a unique. And hey I was right. And I thought about Michael Bond and Watson too but didn't think that would be a unique, hence why I didn't go for it. So perversely, because of that, they are in fact uniques... for you!

Er, actually also I thought James Watson probably has a couple of years left if not more.

• Like 1

^^^Can I ask the reasoning behind your Jeremy Clarkson Joker pick?

Didn't hear he was Ill or anything or do you just think a disgruntled member of the public (of which I am sure there are many) who are sick to the back teeth of his inane ramblings, may eventually crack and murder the gobshite?

No offense, but why should I share my reasons with a fellow competitor? You're perfectly within your rights to ridicule me at the end of the year if he's declared medically fit as a fiddle during the summer, or something and cruises into 2015 unscathed, and even moreso if he eventually lives to be 100. But for now I think you should simply respect my choices as mine.