Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2014

It has been a tough year so far. Even really ill people have found it hard to die. You, like so many have Valerie Harper, Zsa Zsa and Sam Simon, so with those "certainties" your count could very well be 8 hits in almost no time at all. But getting a high hit rate without worrying about points is dependent on starting with a list of very ill, very old people. That's not the DDP. You need points and every pick needs carefull consideration to gain a maximum number of points. You are going to get better value for wise picks. Finishing position is everything. Well done so far.

I finished in 188th place in 2013 with 32 points, and 5 out of 20 dead. Disaster.

I look like finishing around top 60 this year, with 39 points, and 6 out of 20 dead. Success! And that's with most of the certs alive, and my idiotic dropping of Sandy Jardine.

Basically, out with the challengers, its quite tight, so wiser choices seem to win out over Terminator like skills, seemingly. And dumb luck.

Does this count as an obit for Marina Filipovna Khodorkovskaya? It seems to be an archive of Reuters footage regarding her and Mikhail. It starts off with a decent write-up for Marina's death.

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist//RTV/2014/08/03/RTV030814045/

Edit: I also found a full New York Times article for her death so there must be another British obit floating around somewhere if the ITN/Reuters doesn't count....

Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should be satisfied with this year's competition.

Stats:

2013:

Final position = 110

Amount of hits = 8

Total points = 43

2014:

Current position = 96

Amount of hits = 5

Total points = 29

As you can see, I had way more scores and hits last year, YET I'm higher on the scoreboard than I was last year. Why is that? Should I be proud or disappointed?

Regards,

Confused Predictor.

Because........ more people had a shitter year this year than you? Jesus man even football fans could figure that one out. :)

Still you got more hits than I did in my first year so hey..... you win I guess

How many hits did you get in your first year?

It has been a tough year so far. Even really ill people have found it hard to die. You, like so many have Valerie Harper, Zsa Zsa and Sam Simon, so with those "certainties" your count could very well be 8 hits in almost no time at all. But getting a high hit rate without worrying about points is dependent on starting with a list of very ill, very old people. That's not the DDP. You need points and every pick needs carefull consideration to gain a maximum number of points. You are going to get better value for wise picks. Finishing position is everything. Well done so far.

Yeah, you're right. The amount of points is much more important than the number of hits. Unless you get a 20/20, that would be really impressive even if all the entries were nonagenarians/centenarians.

Does this count as an obit for Marina Filipovna Khodorkovskaya? It seems to be an archive of Reuters footage regarding her and Mikhail. It starts off with a decent write-up for Marina's death.

http://www.itnsource...3/RTV030814045/

Edit: I also found a full New York Times article for her death so there must be another British obit floating around somewhere if the ITN/Reuters doesn't count....

I'll have a closer look at that after Christmas and come to a decision before the end of play next week...

Erm, this is my first year. I meant you got more in your first than I did. Sorry my statement was about as clear as Aldi vodka.

My main team doing shit 482nd place and 4 points (1 hit - Chapman Pincher). Next years should be much more competitive. My Centenarians team fairing better at 90th place and 30 points (5 hits) Let's not talk about Serving Heads of State a theme team that will be being dropped this year...

Looks like Ritchii Kara is the big miss for me this year, there's always one....

Much more conservative effort from me this year, research levels not what they were:

[snip]

Kate Gross

[snip]

An obituary and a Christmas Day bonus.

Looks like Ritchii Kara is the big miss for me this year, there's always one....

Much more conservative effort from me this year, research levels not what they were:

[snip]

Kate Gross

[snip]

An obituary and a Christmas Day bonus.

From 35th to 4th. Shocked with that, put in a pretty poor team research-wise this year.

Very sad case with Gross though, sort of story which makes me question what the fuck is wrong with me...

• Like 1

I'll have a closer look at that after Christmas and come to a decision before the end of play next week...

This Guardian profile of Mikhail Khodorkovsky, published only a day ago, is also worth considering as it makes brief mention of his mother's death (albeit it doesn't mention her by name, what's the protocol in that regard?).

So, did Ritchii Kara die off the radar then?

Just searched his fbook and Ritchii posted a day ago so he is still alive.

This Guardian profile of Mikhail Khodorkovsky, published only a day ago, is also worth considering as it makes brief mention of his mother's death (albeit it doesn't mention her by name, what's the protocol in that regard?).

Thanks for the backup. Did you pick her too? Here's the celebrity rules on DDP...

DEFINITIONS:

"Celebrity" means someone who, upon their death, gets a written obituary in a British national newspaper or on the BBC News website.

This does mean that you can't always be sure when picking your team whether each person will be famous enough or not, but that's all part of the game.

"Obituary" simply means an article which mentions the fact that the person has died. It doesn't have to be the conventional biographical write-up.

"Alive" means drawing breath, not decomposing, that kind of thing.

"No longer with us" is the opposite of the above!

"Death" means the transition from the former to the latter. The death of a career (e.g. Michael Barrymore) doesn't count.

But I did think that the person had to be mentioned by name.. Maybe not..

Guest Rudolph

Just my 2 cents.

We can't submit a team with the name Tony Blair or Adele's Mum it has to be a full proper name. Same standard should apply to a countable obit.

Erm, this is my first year. I meant you got more in your first than I did. Sorry my statement was about as clear as Aldi vodka.

To be fair, you used past tense to describe the ongoing competition. This is what you said: "Still you got more hits than I did in my first year so hey..... you win I guess". But Zorders, the year is not over yet. I have faith in your skills and talent to gather more hits during the closing days of December, I know you can do it.

Oh wait, Christmas is pretty much over now. So I don't have to be overly nice to everyone anymore....

HAHA, I GOT MORE HITS IN MY FIRST YEAR THAN YOU HAVE!!! :D:devil2::D

Thanks for the backup. Did you pick her too? Here's the celebrity rules on DDP...

Didn't pick her myself. Just came across that article while doing one of my last minute Google News searches for the usual terms, so figured it couldn't hurt to share it.

Nah, as said above he's posting regularly on his Facebook and is even considering a drag comeback. I'd make him 50/50 for 2015 tbh, although I have no idea how the final months for a CJD sufferer go tbh.

Nah, as said above he's posting regularly on his Facebook and is even considering a drag comeback. I'd make him 50/50 for 2015 tbh, although I have no idea how the final months for a CJD sufferer go tbh.

Fair enough. My entire knowledge of CJD comes from the X-Files episode with the cannibals in truth!

Guest Scrouge

Doku Umarov based on credited sources  died in 2013.

rferl.org/content/insurgency-commanders-divulge-of-umarovs-death/25467747.html

wikipedia also lists him now as dead in 2013

those with credited points need to have them removed

Doku Umarov based on credited sources died in 2013.

rferl.org/content/insurgency-commanders-divulge-of-umarovs-death/25467747.html

wikipedia also lists him now as dead in 2013

those with credited points need to have them removed

That's the kind of DDP contribution I value.

Last update before the year's end is uploaded...

EDIT: Seems like Purdy refused food, making it an unnatural death. I'll update the bonus on Friday...

So does this mean you decided no on Khodorkovskaya? That mention of her death was from Reuters, no? Or is it not discernible? The first obit. Not the one in the Guardian where she isn't named.

It looks to me like footage being touted around by ITN, possibly for Reuters. Checked Reuters.uk and Reuters.com and there's no mention of the story, so a no no...